Black the One Eyed Cat

This is Black who used to be a feral cat and always kept a distance from her human admirer, Giane Portal, a photographer and a cat owner of seven in Brazil. Portal who met the little black panther since she was born and had many attempts to get closer to her, hoping for her acceptance, but every time she reached out, Black shyly ran away.

Portal was not planning on homing the kitty since the cat did not allow her to touch her. On top of that, she had made a promise to herself that seven cats is where she would draw the line. However, things soon changed.

Portal had another regular visit with Black. Though they were apart from a distance, Portal could vaguely see something very wrong with one of Black’s eyes which was completely out of place. It was like second nature to Portal, who quickly captured the kitty and transported her to a veterinary clinic. Black was in fact severely injured from a car accident. She was not able to keep her eye, but after many surgeries, she survived the incredible ordeal.

Portal took the little poor creature home for recovery. During that time she started searching for an adopter for Black, but being an one-eyed black cat in Brazil sadly almost made it impossible for her to find a home. Eventually Portal decided to break her own promise and make the number of feline residents in her home to eight.

Black was very shy and scaredy at first and was not approachable to anyone. However, when she was introduced to two new born kittens, her motherly instinct unraveled. She began to groom and care for the kittens so much that the real cat mother became extremely jealous.

Black is now living a happy and wonderful life with Giane Portal and her many other furry friends. You can visit Black’s entire photo album here.

cute rescued one eyed cat

Sponsored Links

17 Responses to “Black the One Eyed Cat”

1. Tara says:

What a beautiful cat. Black is lovely.

2. Bali Suut says:

Giane Portal, I salute you.

3. Donna says:

Bless you for taking care of her

4. Lorraine says:

I have a little black feral cat with one eye called Tina who I rescued when she lived otuside as a baby with her three brothers. Her eye was so ulcerated it needed to be removed

5. Jenna says:

Have any of you heard of the book Homer's Odyssey, by Gwen Cooper? It is about a black kitten with no eyes, who over comes all odds. It is a GREAT book, so inspiring, and made me laugh and cry the whole time. You'd be amazed by little Homer! Definitely check it out, its worth reading.

6. lovemeow says:

Hi Jenna, you are right. Homer is amazing. He is actually one of our top 10 cats of 2009: Reply

• Libby says:

awwee that breaks my heart and makes me smile at the same time !
    what a strong little kitty :)

• Carol G says:

I never cease to be amazed at the trust these little creatures put in us.

• Robbin says:

My black kitty, Shadow, dissappeared one day and I think about her every day. When I see something like this, I can only hope that someone had the same heart as you. She was the love of my life, my baby. At 3 years old, she was still the size of a kitten under the age of one. She was fearless and the most loving cat I have ever encountered. She was a people lover and required all of the attention with her antics and energy. She is sadly missed!

Thank you for rescuing Black. He will forever be grateful.

• Stef says:

How interesting! I have come upon my own little one eyed black cat as well! She was found living on the streets of Tokyo when she was very young and had a serious eye infection, but luckily she was taken to one of the few animal adoption agencies here and that's where I was able to find her:) She's amazing. Having only one eye hasn't slowed her down one bit. She is the most energetic and mischievous cat I've ever owned and I'm so thankful she's brightening up my home.

• Stef says:

PS. It's good to see there are others out there who can appreciate such special cats.

• Coribee says:

D: I can't believe no one wanted her, she's just gorgeous. And if anything the lack of an eye just makes me love her even more, adds personality and a strong character.

• Kity says:

I've had several cats throughout my life and each of them may have had their own personality but none quite like my current kitty of my life. Back in August I went on a search at a local shelter for a new kitty. Each one I passed was asleep or eating. They weren't exactly paying attention. Then I came across the cutest thing ever. A one-eyed tortie. She stood on her hind legs with her large eye staring up at me and let loose a loud meow. I couldn't resist. I happily got her on my next visit. She is thee most energetic cat I've ever been fortunate enough to live with. I haven't even had her for a year yet, but her spirit and personality makes her feel like she's a daughter of mine. I'm glad to see more people out there with one-eyed babies!

• OmegaFox says:

it's incredible how, if you see a human with just one eye, he/she is most likely going to be depressed over it. and yet here's a cat who survived a car accident and was left with just one of its two eyes. and it's being the cat that it lives to be.

sometimes the blessing of reason can be a curse. thank God for these beautiful lives. they can truly inspire us.

• Kat says:

I love this story! I have a black cat who looks just like this one, she is even missing her right eye! I don’t have a kitten for her to take care of, but she has a pet mouse (filled with catnip) that she carries around and licks all the time.

I adopted her and her sister (who is also missing her right eye) last year after the poor things had been rescued from a hoarder (with 25 cats) and then were in a shelter for 8 months. Same sad story that nobody wants a one-eyed cat, even in the US. The black one is super shy, but her sister follows us around like a dog and greets guests at the door. The way they act you would never know they were half blind <3

• Tatiana says:

I have a one eyed persian named Poundcake. She lost her eye due to a tumor. Shes doing just fine and is happy as can be! Bless your baby and even though a few of have one eyed cats….we know they are unique and VERY special!!