Kitty the Most Adventurous Backpacking Cat in the World

cute kitty adventurous kitten cat pic

Update on their journey: the couple and the kitty are taking time off right now and starting a video production company in Colombia. They will continue their journey once they are ready :) . You can go to their Facebook to check out some of the videos they made.

————————

A pet cat is accompanying her owners on a mission to tour from Miami to Ushuaia, Argentina on foot on a $2,000 budget per year for about two to three years. Since they can only stay in the U.S. for 85 days, they are walking about 20 miles per day to get their goal accomplished. The French couple and their cat started their trip in Florida, then were headed west to Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.

The cat whose name is Kitty, is often seen resting in the backpack while the couple are hiking down the road. They even set up a little umbrella on the backpack to give the kitty some shade from the sun.

Kitty was found by the couple on a busy road when they were in Louisiana. She was very small, abandoned and alone. Initially the couple was going to find her a home, but very soon they decided to keep her because they had madly fallen in love. They took Kitty to the vet to receive shots and a physical checkup.

Kitty enjoys the trip as much as the couple. She often climbs on the shoulder of her daddy to get a good look at every new scenery. She does not seem to be shy or bashful about meeting new people or visiting a new place. The kitty is growing to be a world-class adventurous explorer, perhaps the first cat that gets to tour almost half way around the world.

The couple and their cat have attracted a plethora of local media attention wherever they land. The kitty is never shy from the camera. You can tell from the videos below that she is pretty comfortable with it.

You can find updates and more photos of their journey on their website.

cute kitty backpacking  kitten cat pic

cute kitty backpacking  kitten cat pic

cute kitty backpacking kitten cat pic

92 Responses to “Kitty the Most Adventurous Backpacking Cat in the World”

1. buthie says:

wonderful cat…

2. Derby says:

This man needs a child.

3. bel says:

How marvellous!!!!!

I am just curious how Kitty will react when the family stops travelling? Cats are territory-base but this kitty has been on the road for much of its life, so has the unique circumstances changed its perception of "territory"?

Or has her parents became the "territory" in question?:))) I would be so curious to know!!!

4. Angela says:

Thank you for sharing. I love seeing stories like this.

5. Jennifer says:

that is sooo neat. i love the pics of kitteh with the little hat on.

6. wow, i love your kittie

7. bella says:

the kitty is so well-behaved! haha :D

8. Talya says:

This is awesome. I once had a cat who LOVED car rides. He used to climb on my shoulder and watch the world pass by. The only problem I had, is when we'd stop for food. He'd be soo excited to greet the fast food worker, that he'd practically climb through the drive through window! lol

9. Vittoria De Maurizi says:

Maybe the cat thinks she is a opossum riding on the back of her mother? This cat reminds me of my cat, Mama Kitty who was abandoned at the vet with her four kittens. We were called to foster her and we found homes for her four kittens but we fell in love with her and she REALLY loves my boyfriend. She is not scared of anything and will go right up to dogs and stare them down. She LOVES to ride in the car and will get upset if you don't take her with you. She also rides the motorcycle every once in a while and she never runs away. We take her on vacation with us to the beach, too. (Although she doesn't seem to like the sand.)

10. Kate says:

I just can't even say enough about this cute little fur-ball. I just found this page and I am in complete awww… I think I will blog about it today. I recently lost my beloved 3 year old dog two weeks ago and this brought tears to my eyes, because we literally did everything together (except when I have to go to work) and I miss him soooo much. Please continue on this journey. I fare to say this little kitty has seen more of the world than most! Thanks so much for sharing.

xoxo – Kate

Follow-along with me on my journey@ catchupwithkate.blogspot.com

11. Deanna says:

This is so sweet! They were lucky to find each other. I love to travel and I'd love my own traveling kitty! :)

12. This is such an amazing kitty, and family.

It has the same personality as my daughters cat we had 20 years ago. Boo Boo was so devoted and loyal, and was so understanding of my daughters limitations with her disability – Cerebral Palsy.

13. yotaka says:

CUTE AS HECK! And jealous as well. Have fun on your adventures! :D

14. laura says:

I used to have 2 beloved felines. First: Barnabus- rescued when I found him along with siblings (less than a week old, eyes shut). He loved car rides every single day, except for hot weather. He would love the long walks, when he get tired, I carry him back. He used to rode into bike trailer as well. Awesome cat. He died from age.

Second: Little One: rescued from hitting by a truck while playing and jumping out of ditch. He loved hiking, going to beach and car rides. He totally disliked cold which it made him very sick and bed ridden for few days. He had his life at the beach and in the woods. He did love car rides. His mouth got so bad and discovered that he had FeLV since birth. He was very well loved and slept with me all the time. He loved water and swam through with it, no problem at all. He played with water and in the rain, but again not in the colds. Only lived 2 and half year. He was lay to sleep to end his pain on the day of Japanese's Turisumi. Seriously!

15. nolruck says:

thank you very much for share the pictures and vidio, the French couple and their cat, very very nice, they are very smart,if they comeover thailand i would like to see them

Jeab

16. Markus says:

Great story! :)

17. Ingrid and the 4 fur says:

What an amazing story. I love the little umbrella and the kitty with her hat.

18. Amanda says:

wow that really knows how to pose in pictures! Cute and scary. Cat eyes totally peirce through..

19. ryuuko says:

a backpacker kitty, amazing!

good luck with your jurney. :3

20. Ainsley says:

This is so adorable! What a fun adventure!

21. Janet says:

Well this is just the cutest, sweetest thing.. what an awesome cat. The pictures are so cute. You can see the loving bond between Kitty & owners. Can’t wait to sign up & see your past and future adventures.

22. Edith says:

How awesome! Think I’m gonna learn my little kittens to be calm and chill on my backpack

23. gloria says:

I wish them to be safe whereever they are.
    Cats are so loveable and will trust you if you show them love and respect. awesome article.

24. kkoikos says:

I think silver tabbies are genetically prone to be mellow and highly intelligent.

25. Beth says:

How sweet. Great to get to travel and take the family!! The best way to go. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story. Kitties are so amazing. Just a natural part of the family.

26. Cat Minister says:

omg ….thats a cool story cooooool , my cats would be running mad outside

awesome meow story ….

27. Franklin says:

I love this!! Good luck on your journey, kitty the explorer!

28. Dorothy says:

What an awesome story!

29. Marki H. says:

This totally made my day. I was in such a bad mood, but then I saw this, and the biggest smile just crept across my face. I wish I could do this with my kitties. How did you get her to do this?

30. Ali says:

ive been homeless for a little while now, but i refused to give up my baby, i keep her well fed and make sure her needs are met, even before my own, food water and litter and shes set, ever since this journey me and my cat (marley) have such a strong bond, there’s moments in my life were she is all i have and im all she has, shes my best friend. i love her so much! me and her are moving into an apartment tomorrow, backpacking with a cat is hard at first, but then she just adjusted to it

31. nat says:

great people for helping kitty

32. Claudia says:

Amazing history! I´ll love if my cat do the same thing. But she gets crazy if go out my home. Love this two, they´re inseparable. xo from Brazil. Happy Holidays

33. Winston says:

any updates on this?

34. Nana says:

What a sweet couple and a sweet sweet cat! How i wish my cat will travel out with me as well!

35. Halina says:

Hello, I was just wondering if you were in Australia last year some time, in Melbourne in the state of Victoria? The reason I ask is that after I read this story I saw a chap walking around Box Hill Station with a cat on his shoulders and wondered if this was you. If it was I would have loved to have come over and say hello however I had to run an errand that day. Take care and God bless.

36. Jeff says:

What a great story! An awesome experience for the kitty too. I’d LOVE if one of my kitties was an outdoor cat. They only plop down in the yard and roll around. I’ve tried taking them on a walk with a leash but I may as well just drag them around LOL….Oh well….I love them all to death regardless. My kitties are my companions and mean the world to me. I’d go on a Ramen diet before I let any of them suffer….

37. Kelly says:

My Girdi loves to ride on the 4 wheeler with us and never gets freaked out, the only time she freaks is if we go riding and leave her at home!

38. nina lyn lansa says:

amazing story <3

39. Maremma says:

Wow that is one loyal kitty! I can’t believe she doesn’t get curious and wonder off when mom and dad aren’t looking!