Story Behind the Photo of Kitty Adopted by Soldiers in Kuwait

Kevin Davidson, a US soldier Pfc. shared a photo of him and their adopted cat in Kuwait on reddit. It went viral. He explained the story behind the photo:

“His name is PFC Bartholomew. I did not find him. I support another unit and their Lieutenant found him on Christmas Eve and realized how much the soldiers would love having a cat,” Kevin wrote on reddit. “Despite the fact that ‘adopting as pets or mascots, caring for, or feeding any type of domestic or wild animals’ is a punishable offense under the UCMJ, taking in a furry local is commonly overlooked,” Stars and Stripes reported.

“I was sitting in my tent with two of my soldiers and I heard a ‘meow.’ I went outside and found this cat laying on one of the [temporary barriers]. I picked him up and brought him in our tent to show him to everyone.” Later Davidson let the cat out, but the kitty kept coming back inside. “After that, the cat just sort of moved into our tent with us.” (via Stars and Stripes)

The troops who found the cat brought him into the base and started giving him food and petting the little feline. “Because the cat was a risk for rabies and disease, the commander of the unit wanted to euthanize the feline. Instead, the company executive officer took the cat to the nearest installation with a veterinarian.”

“He took him to a vet and had had him vaccinated, neutered, a chip put in, and his ear notched so people would know he was safe…. He has already obtained 2 confirmed mice kills but the rat has been evading him for a week. I’ve promised him a membership to the Fish of the Month Club if he kills the rat,” Davidson added.

It’s tough for these soldiers to leave their families and go to an active-duty installation to train. “So this cat was the first thing I could hug or really show any affection to. It was very therapeutic,” said Davidson (via Stars and Stripes).

Pfc. Kevin Davidson takes a break with his feline friend who was “adopted” by the soldiers at a U.S. base in Kuwait.

cat adopted in middle east befriends army soldier

cat adopted in middle east befriends army soldier

Napping together

cat adopted in middle east befriends army soldier

Source: Stars and Stripes. Photos courtesy of Kevin Davidson.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

23 Responses to “Story Behind the Photo of Kitty Adopted by Soldiers in Kuwait”

1. Melissa says:

“PFC” Bartholomew? Looks more like a Sergeant, with all those stripes on his arm!

2. Angela says:

They look so sweet together. I’m all for the military taking in strays as long as it helps both humans and animals alike.

3. Lashantina says:

having pets IS theraputic and living with animals in our lives is an important part of human nature! When will the military acknowledge this fact? Right now, the policy seems to be “don’t ask, don’t tell” with taking in strays, which they are not supposed to do, but they do do. I hope this changes.

4. jule1 says:

Such sweet pics. No surprise the military is behind the times with their outlook on pets, but obviously, these guys and other soldiers really need something warm and loving to respond to them while they’re so far away from home and in a dangerous situation.

5. Dorothy says:

Bless these guys for sharing their love with a feline in these tough surroundings!

6. nuomineko says:

Bless you all for taking care of the strays there. Keep safe!

7. KateM says:

Yes, it’s definitely time for the UCMJ to be modified. ANYTHING that will help reduce military suicides should be not only allowed, but encouraged!

Kevin, I ‘d say that the kitty was meant for you. I know how a pet is valuable companion to overcome depressive mood. Comgrat.: the kitty is precious and I wish you all a long happy relation with him and his nine lives:).

9. Pam Maltzman says:

Handsome cat and handsome guy too! The kitty looks so comfy when he’s curled up on you!

10. Bobby Mitchell says:

I am of the opinion if those soldiers had animals during their downtime, there would be less suicides. These animals can and have provided a many people emotional support during some of their darkest moments.

Though I am partial to cats, dogs as well have a way of providing a stability to a persons mood and behavior that would not normally be prevalent with another person.

These animals are a blessing and should be able to support those troops while deployed as long as the animal is treated humanely and with dignity.

11. Ellinor says:

Cuties the both of them

12. Renee says:

Thanks very much for that story! It gave me a smile when I needed it at the end of a long workday! Gorgeous cat!

13. Sue Roth says:

Why on earth would caring for an animal be punishable by the USMJ?? I hope they do away with that law. Having a cat or dog to cuddle up with has to be great for the soldiers – and the dogs and cats need love, too! Love the pictures….very heart warming.

14. Eric says:

Is that an Air Force ABU jacket he is using as a pillow?

15. Chief says:

Those are beautiful pictures. It is uplifting for those of us far from home to have a pet to feed and love. The Xo is a smart man/woman. But the policy to euthanize animals is pretty firm at least at Camp Eggers, Afghanistan. I was pretty devestated, angry, and depressed as our Base Support caught the strays with traps filled with tuna, and killed them. One contractor even ordered shots for his “mascot” but 6 soldiers came and confiscated “midnight” and killed him. The soldier had a hard time figuring out euthanization, and it took about 5 tries or so the story goes. We were in tears about it for days. I wish there was an XO at my base who cared about the animals and the soldiers. Love the Cat! Soldiers Rock!

16. Forrest SW says:

EXACTLY.

““After seeing how he raised my morale and the morale of my team, I couldn’t take him away from all those soldiers still [based] there. After having a cat for a few weeks, I can honestly say that more pets for deployed soldiers would help with the depression and probably cut down on the amount of suicides. I’m not saying I considered suicide while deployed, but I had some dark days missing my wife and kids.””
    AND
    That is useful as a practical health matter
    “He has already obtained 2 confirmed mice kills but the rat has been evading him for a week. I’ve promised him a membership to the Fish of the Month Club if he kills the rat,” Davidson added.”

• Linda says:

Thank you for the beautiful story. A very big thank you to Michele who served us gallantly in Kuwaitt. The information she provided about the availability to ship an animal home once a tour was up answered a question that I’m sure a lot of had.We all see how support animals are used daily in the States. Why not when our countries finest are deployed? Those support animals are more than that. They are family.Is anyone aware of an organization that we might donate to be able to help defray costs from our soldiers and the this wonderful American woman who provides the carriers? Bless you all.

17. Tucker says:

BRAVO!!! YOU ROCK!!!

HIP HIP HORRRRAAAAY!!!

HAPPY DANCE TIME IN HONOR OF THIS CAT!!!

18. Cheryl says:

That is really cool. I love seeing them helping each other but I’m curious, what happens to this loving cat when the soldier has to leave and/or goes back home? This cat looks to be very bonded to him to sleep on him like that. It will be very sad for both of them if he had to leave the kitty behind, then who would care for the kitty?

19. Michelle says:

I to was stationed in Kuwait 2012, and we had several cats and dogs running around our camp, what Mayor cell was not telling anyone, is that all the animals found on post was brought in by the US to be mouser’s, they already had shots, spayed and one ear clipped as a marker. I found an Egyptian Mau about 2 yrs old and we made a pet out of him to, there is an american woman in kuwait city who runs a shelter and will ship your animal to the US, we ended up shipping two dogs and my cat home once our tour was up. She provided a cat carrier and we had the civilian contractors who live over there drive the animals down to her and dropped them off. No quarantine needed for Kuwait to US, takes 22 hrs to ship from Kuwait to Wash DC via Delta cargo plane. Cost approx $700.00 per animal and alot of Soldiers were willing to pass the hat around and help out with expenses.

20. nanz says:

adorable cat

21. Fernanda says:

That’s awesome! They rescued each other :)