Cats with Cerebellar Hypoplasia

Flickr: kiyoshi.be

These stories really pull my heartstrings. Charley, Smokey, Dizzy and Roxy are amazing cats with cerebellar hypoplasia, which means their motor skills are not as great as other cats.

Cerebellar hypoplasia (CH) is a medical condition where part of the brain that controls a cat’s coordination is underdeveloped during kitten-hood.  Most CH cases are known to be congenital where kittens are born with it. Though this condition is not treatable, it does not prevent a kitten from living a fairly normal life.

Cats with cerebellar hypoplasia (CH) appear to stagger and have uncoordinated motion and slight tremors. Unfortunately many cats with cerebellar hypoplasia are put down because many people do not believe that they are adoptable pets. Quite the contrary, a cat with cerebellar hypoplasia do not require special care, nor are they in pain. These kitties can live as long as any other cats and might just be one of the most precious kitties you have ever had.

(Watch the videos below to meet several very special kitties with CH)

Dizzy with cerebellar hypoplasia

Dizzy with cerebellar hypoplasia

“Dizzy is a fun little kitten who has a serious balance problem.

Specifically, she has cerebellar hypoplasia, which screws with her balance.

That doesn’t stop her from chasing the cat dancer or wrestling with other cats.

She does move pretty slowly and has been known to fall down a lot.

Perhaps that’s why she likes lying there and being petted so much?

She was adopted from the BARC shelter in September 2007.

- flickr: Marcus in NY

First video: meet Charley

Second video: “Smokey was a 21-year-old cat with half his whiskers missing whowobbled when he walked. This condition was due to cerebral damage. In spite of his difficult mobility, Smokey was one of the happiest cats alive. Smokey passed away in 2007 during his retirement in Maine. He is greatly missed.”

Third video: “This is my baby girl Roxy, my pride and joy, whom I adopted from BARC shelter when she was a very tiny 4 months old baby known as ‘Jello’. She’s now 1 year old and has gotten quite good at dealing with the condition she was born with, Cerebellar Hypoplasia. She doesn’t let it stop her at all though and just keeps on trying until she gets it done in her own way. At the end of this video she does a somersault which she does whenever she gets too excited.”

13 Responses to “Cats with Cerebellar Hypoplasia”

1. Heather Alibakir says:

I found the video of the lovely little Roxy distressing. Tjhis may be a savage comment, but I felt that the decor in Roxy.s home took preference over her welfare. Surely she would not find getting around and staying upright so difficult if there were some carpet runners for her claws to grip. Bad enough that she will never hunt or do acrobatics the way that cats love:her mobility should be assisted to the best of the owners ability, otherwise do not act the hero in taking one of these cats in.
    Sorry, but that is how I feel.
    Felinfan
    PS. Or has she been declawed?

• Amy says:

I am not sure if she is declawed. I really hope she is not. I have to agree with you that if the floors can be carpeted it would really help the little one to get around.

2. Jennoveve says:

Yes thats what i thought too, But little Roxy tries so hard, maybe the rest of the house is more friendly,

at least she is lucky to have caring family, sometimes we do the best we can, can't be too hard on her loving home :D

3. Scarlett says:

These are relly touch me. Adorable kitty I've ever seen.

4. katie marie says:

hi, i have fallen in LOVE with a kitten at my local vets office who is up for adoption and had CH. Is there anything i really need to know or watch out for. any information you can give me or hits tips or tricks i would much appreciate!!
    katie

5. Angela Laster says:

My cat just had a little of kittens, they are now about 5 weeks old. And I found that one of the kittens is the runt and also seems to have CH. He is really a cute, lovable kitten, and I find that he gets around a lot better on the carpeted floor rather then the kitchen floor. He is able to stick his claws in the carpet and pull himself. He is still young but I’m trying to work with him so his legs will be strong. I’m having to bottle feed him cause his mom has disowen him for some reason. Which is sad. :(. The question I have for some of you who has had kittens like this from babies and up, how hard is it to teach them to use the litter box, or is there anything special I need to know to help him use the bathroom?

6. Cathie says:

I had a cat with CH and she inspired me daily to never give up! I loved my Maggie so. As for litterbox use, she used it like any other cat. Best wishes to every human who is owned by a CH kitty.

7. Cathie says:

P.S. I did choose a litterbox with shorter rather than taller sides!

8. shirley says:

my cat has CH , we put carpets down to help her get around better.She has to use the litter box lying on her side as she cannot stand up long enough
    she is an angel !!!

9. lori long says:

i just found out are new kitten that someone gave us has ch. not to sure what to think yet but im going to give it one hell of a shot thank u

10. Louise says:

I had a litter of kitties and one of them is CH, she is beautiful and clever, she is 10 weeks old now and she used a litter tray as soon as she walked, she has never had an accident and tries so hard to stand stably to poo or wee but because of the CH often somersaults into the litter, I have made a tall surround out of a cardboard box to enclose her tray and she can steady herself using the sides she also has problems with steadying herself to eat and drink, so I encourage her to lay down to eat as she is steady that way. I also feed her milk supplement by bottle as she needs that extra nutrition. Besides those two things my kitten does not need any other special considerations. She leads a normal life she plays, purrs, has fun just the same as any other kittens.

11. Cassie says:

I have an adorable black and white kitty named Pandy who I suspect has cerebellar hypoplasia. He sticks his tail way up in the air, as it and his back legs wobble since he seems to walk on his tippy toes. It is the cutest strut i’ve ever seen. Besides having to carpet the stairs and continuously pick up the things Pandy knocks over, no major changes have had to be made to compensate for his disability. He splatters litter around his litterbox, but it’s not his fault! I love my kitty and feel lucky to be given such a special pet.