What to Do When Your Cat Gets Stung by a Bee

cute kitten paw swelling bee sting cat pic

This poor kitty got stung by a bee. His right paw was almost twice the size of his left paw. Yes, cats can get allergic reactions when they get stung by bees, wasps, yellow jackets or hornets.

If a cat gets stung by a bee, he might show signs of swelling, pain in the muscles around the affected area, vomiting, fatigue, fever and shock (respiratory distress). When a cat is experiencing respiratory distress, his tongue turns blue, Welts appear throughout the body, face starts swelling, or heart rate and breathing become rapid. If you see one of the above symptoms, you should take your cat to the vet asap.

Don’t panic when your cat is stung by an insect, You can follow the steps below to treat your cat:

cute cat paw swelling bee sting cat pic

Swollen paw, poor kitty

1. Approach your cat gently and quietly so you will not startle the cat if he is already anxious and nervous. Calmly and softly talk to the cat, so he knows your presence.

2. If the stinger is still embedded in the skin, do not squeeze or rub it or try to remove it with your hands because you may break the stinger and release more venom into the skin. Use a credit card or dull side of a butter knife to scrape it out.

cute kitten stung by bee swollen mouth

Swollen Mouth, poor kitty

Swollen paw

3. If the stung area starts swelling, after the stinger is removed, you can ice down the area to alleviate the swelling.

4. If the cat is experiencing a severe allergic reaction, take your cat to the vet and your vet will administer a cat specific antihistamine shot to possibly reduce the allergic reaction.

image via Wary Meyer, drew anywhere, pinkhippodesign

14 Responses to “What to Do When Your Cat Gets Stung by a Bee”

1. Tara says:

awwwww. cats love swatting at insects but they can't tell if they are bees.

2. lola says:

aww that cat makes me cry♥

3. Mason says:

:( poor kitty

a couple weeks ago, my cat managed to smack a wasp around for a few minutes before I could catch it and put it outside. I checked her afterwards and she didn't get stung at all… kinda odd considering she's usually kinda clumsy (for a cat)

4. KittyTron3000 says:

Poor kitties, but interesting photos. I had no idea paws could swell up so much!

5. an says:

awww still cute paw! but poor baby :(

6. Francis Arbuckle says:

Doh! You deleted my post, wonder why? Meow, bang!!

7. michelle says:

my kitty got stung by a yellow jacket about an hour ago i was able to get the stinger out easily with my fingernail, then i panicked running around the house looking for benedryl never found any, luckily i’ve been watching her closely and haven’t seen signs of anaphylaxis, still spooked though

8. Claudett says:

What if you can’t find the stinger to remove it? My cat just got stung about 30 minutes ago and has been constantly licking his paw. and won’t really let me examine the area. it has begun to swell a little. is it ok to give him something like benadryl or IB? to help.

9. Sophie says:

I just took my little kitten to the vet with the biggest paw ever and without this website she could have gone into shock. But I think she licked the stinger out because we couldn’t find one on her paw. But she is said to make a full recovery! fingers crossed!

10. Matilda says:

That last photo looks more like a polydactyl kittie-paw than a swollen one. The first one is so adorable and sad at the same time.

11. miranda says:

oh that poor kitty

12. sue says:

What happens if my cat caught a wasp or bee in the mouth? he is always trying to catch mostly flies and eats them but a wasp or bee could be very dangerous in the mouth? any help pse, thanks! Sue

13. ladyshoees says:

Just had to take our kitty to the emergency vet for a bee sting. Luckily his paw didn’t get as big as some of these babies’ did. Curiosity and kitties!