Kitty the Most Adventurous Backpacking Cat in the World

cute kitty adventurous kitten cat pic

Update on their journey: the couple and the kitty are taking time off right now and starting a video production company in Colombia. They will continue their journey once they are ready :) . You can go to their Facebook to check out some of the videos they made.

————————

A pet cat is accompanying her owners on a mission to tour from Miami to Ushuaia, Argentina on foot on a $2,000 budget per year for about two to three years. Since they can only stay in the U.S. for 85 days, they are walking about 20 miles per day to get their goal accomplished. The French couple and their cat started their trip in Florida, then were headed west to Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.

The cat whose name is Kitty, is often seen resting in the backpack while the couple are hiking down the road. They even set up a little umbrella on the backpack to give the kitty some shade from the sun.

Kitty was found by the couple on a busy road when they were in Louisiana. She was very small, abandoned and alone. Initially the couple was going to find her a home, but very soon they decided to keep her because they had madly fallen in love. They took Kitty to the vet to receive shots and a physical checkup.

Kitty enjoys the trip as much as the couple. She often climbs on the shoulder of her daddy to get a good look at every new scenery. She does not seem to be shy or bashful about meeting new people or visiting a new place. The kitty is growing to be a world-class adventurous explorer, perhaps the first cat that gets to tour almost half way around the world.

The couple and their cat have attracted a plethora of local media attention wherever they land. The kitty is never shy from the camera. You can tell from the videos below that she is pretty comfortable with it.

You can find updates and more photos of their journey on their website.

cute kitty backpacking  kitten cat pic

cute kitty backpacking  kitten cat pic

cute kitty backpacking kitten cat pic

92 Responses to “Kitty the Most Adventurous Backpacking Cat in the World”

1. ihavecat says:

oh, i LOVE this, sooo sweet! I can't believe she's never gotten freaked out and run away – that's what i would be afraid of! loved the little hat and the resting places they created for her on the backpack with an umbrella, in the jacket, around his neck etc!

• Deborah says:

I have house rabbits. Have had bunnies for decades. Never have they shown the slightest bit of interest in running away. Once I even locked one outside by mistake and found him waiting by the front door for at least 20 mins! LOL. If you fully respect a friend's need for freedom and well, respect, the bond is so strong that the last thing they'd want to do is leave you. I know a bunny is not a cat but I can say this has been my experience with dogs, bunnies, deer, birds, raccoons, foxes and opossums. Oh and squirrels. Animals are more like us than not. Kitty knows he or she is living the good life. I don't think there's any danger of running away. Unless of course a potential mate shows up. :D

2. lovemeow says:

I know. My cats would get so freaked out if they were brought outside the house. That's why they are indoor cats for life :) . I just got them a lot of boxes to play with today. They are having so much fun now.

3. Frederick says:

Is she an Oriental type cat? Of all the cats I've seen, Orientals are the only ones that are able, or even want, to cling to people like that. Maybe someone can correct me.

Pretty amazing how she's a cat without her own "territory" – which seems to be the cause of issues when dealing with cats outside their home zone. (You don't walk cats, they walk you. Etc)

• lovemeow says:

Yea most cats would not like it at all. This cat is definitely something. Kitty is prob not an Oriental cat since Oriental cats look very similar to the Siamese, with usually very large ears, triangular face and very short hair. This kitty looks like a mixed breed with possibly a little Bengal. The Bengal is very active and loves the outdoors.

4. Magnificent pics, adventure, and kitty – I love it!

5. Shirley Duignan says:

What a lovely story & lovely pitchers you have, love them all, I have 2 very addorabill cats we go for walks every day & we love them moments together!! . You are so lucky to be able to travel on that great trip your doing with your very beautiful cat good luck for ever Ireland

6. Hong says:

I love this cat also…
    How to make this cat love going outside..?
    My cat hates going outdoor very much!

7. Kerry says:

It's so nice to see these kinds of heartwarming stories. Gorgeous! I had a Russian Blue who would go everywhere with me as I used to house-sit alot and he really didn't care where he was as long as I was there and his food! LOL

8. Ana María says:

I want my kitties to travel with me!!!!

9. Anne says:

Great story, wonderful pix!

10. Sabrina says:

awwww such an adorable travel buddy!

11. Christina Becerra says:

I love the pictures of you and your Kitty.

12. Nicky says:

I love it, hope that I can do the same thing. I don't know why my cat always flee from my home. I wish that I have a cat like Kitty.

13. Jennie Kern says:

I think that Kitty is a reincarnated soul! I am so envious of the 3! (and note that the couple are able to communicate fluently in at least 3 languages)

14. Paula says:

I was sent the site today…how DELIGHTFUL.

I am in Cozumel, Mx and will checking on your progress.

Kitty feels safe, and enjoys the adventure.

The very best wishes to you, and Kitty

15. karleen says:

Oh my gosh! This is so sweet. What a wonderful story. What luck people & what a lucky cat. Wishing you many years of love together.

16. Rach says:

What an amazing cat. Kitty is just adorable. Good luck with your journey.

17. desiree NZ says:

Glory – she is fantastic – PLEASE DON"T LOSE HER – if you lost Kitty – we would fall apart!!

God bless and take care

18. Kristen says:

How sweet,

Animals love just being around us. What a great relationship to people and the world. Great for Kitty and his owners. They seem very content.

Very sweet!!

19. Menkit says:

That happened to me when I was 20 and travelling on a motor bike with my boyfriend through Australia. We found a little cat who was starving and homeless. Every day I would go feed it at the same place – he would always be there waiting for me. I convinced my boyfriend to swap the motor bike for a VW bug and off we went, a happy threesome! We travelled through the centre of Australia where our car blew up. We waited 5 days at the nearest town (lucky we were near one) for an engine to be shipped up. In that time she ran into the bush. I called and called and she never came (continued…)

20. Menkit says:

but I had a sense that at the last moment she would show up. Sure enough as we were getting ready to leave I went looking for her one last time and she came!

Another time she ran away at a drive-in theatre at night. I went back the next day and she came!

We ended up in Darwin and had many happy days settled before she tragically died of leukemia. In those days I knew nothing of the importance of vet check ups.

Your cat knows you love her and you are her home! Wherever you go she will be happy knowing that. Thank you for providing refuge for her.

21. Patty says:

WOW! what a cat, and what an adventure. Kitty is very lucky and so are the people.

22. Moe says:

What a heart warming story and great pictures. I have a dog and never knew the love of a kitty till a couple of years ago when I started taking care of an elderly neighbor with 2 kitties, he has passed so I am hoping his kitties will want to come live with me and my dog,it might be a challenge. Kitty is lucky to be so loved.

23. BJ says:

We have a dog and 2 cats and they travel very good. They are not in pens and they each have their own spot in the care when traveling. Thanks for your great story.

24. Bonnie says:

How sweet and adorable.

25. Ann & Jim says:

Loved reading about your journey and your amazing cat. We also love cats, have 4 cats which were strays, have front porch strays and back yard strays which we feed but will not let us tame them. We also have one small dog given to us by a neighbor and he loves the cats. We will be looking forward to seeing more about your journey with your cat. You are as amazing as your cat!

26. Lovely story and many more happy trips for you all!

I had my beautiful Rossi for 17 years, he was simply my baby and I lost him to cancer, had to put him down and I literally "saw" his little spirit go up! Honestly. I know what these lovelies are to you. I miss him every day but I have a wonderful Beagle-Walker hound now and she's the apple of my eye. My son found his wonderful tabby at the same shelter that I found my Josey (dog) at 2 days prior and we adopted them the same weekend. He's now 25, they're both 10 now and aging each in their own way but we're doing everything to keep them going and happy. Go to my facebook page and take a peek on my pictures. I'll be glad to make you my friend. Barbara

27. Jana Kirkpatrick says:

What a neat story! Thank you for sharing your adventure with anybody who wants to see it. I hope you have many years of happy traveling together with this sweet kitten.

Have a wonderful trip!

Jana Kirkipatrick

28. Kirstine says:

Love the fact that kitty was abandoned and found the people she was meant to be with. I have a white cat called Oedipus (eedie to her friends), who was abandoned with a litter when she was still a baby herself. Rehomed the babies and she moved in with me and my black cat Ceefa. Eedie is a happy soul and regularly walks into town with me as well as visiting her favoured haunts.. (the local pub and the train station cafe!) She also has an adventurous spirit like kitty and likes to drape herself around my neck like a scarf (especially when I'm wearing black! (all my clothes are covered in white hair on the darks and black hair on the lights!!) Bon Voyage kitty and I look forward to keeping track of your travels. Kirstine

29. Denise says:

That is so awesome and inspirational! Have fun little kitty!

30. Gretchen says:

What a great story. Kitties make possible all sorts of adventures. They open up worlds for us. Thanks for your story.

31. Lynda Herzog Pope says:

HOW WONDERFUL, THIS "KITTY GIRL"! I LOVE THE ENTIRE STORY. BOTH TREKERS & KITTY R FORTUNATE I'M CURIOUS HOW KITTY LETS U KNOW WHEN SHE WANTS FOOD, WATER OR HAS TO TINKLE & TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS!LOL SHE APPEARS SHE ENJOYS EVERYTHING FROM THE "RIDE" TO THE "HAT",

"UMBRELLA" & EVEN LAYING INSIDE HER MASTERS' JACKET (PIX ARE PRECIOUS)! MY 4 POUND WHITE ISABELLA RENEE IS 1/2 SIAMESE & 1/2 ANGORA; HOW'S THAT FOR A MIX? HUGE POINTED EARS & SOFT SILKY COAT & TOTALLY PINK SKIN. Lynda in La.

SK

32. Mary & Arthur :Q says:

Absolutely Best Kitty story we've read & we are now following your Journey ….You are to be congratulated on your kindness …How fortunate KITTY is to have found you …Our Best Wishes accompany the 3 of you …God Bless…safe travels …MARY !!!

33. Meowser Mom x9 says:

What a wonderful story!!! I'm sure Kitty is having as much fun as his/her parents. I enjoyed reading your story very much and seeing all the pictures. What fun!!!

34. Heather says:

Wow! thought a cat would NEVER do that! Kitty loves you as much as you do her! You saved her from an uncertain future, and she knows it. So she will stick with you wherever you go!

Love your pics and may your journey be happy and strife free.

35. Prue says:

all I can say is … awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

You are both blessed. Keep up the travels and keep us posted.

36. Andrea says:

Obviously the cat is enjoying this and his human companion loves him very much!

37. Marjon says:

AW, that's the most cute thing I've seen in a long time :-D

What a lovely little kitty, and amazing he just stays up there.

I'd be terrified to loose him..

38. Lilian says:

An loving it!!!!

39. Julie van Niekerk says:

This is unique and one can see that the cat enjoys this. I can see the owners also love their cat.

40. Janet W says:

This is the most refreshing story that I have ever read. I will sign on to your web page and

follow you where ever you may roam. Be safe and

I know Miss Kitty will be your safety guide. She

came to you for a reason. If you are ever in Fla

again, pls write or call so we could at least, let you lay your heads on our pillows. Yes, even your furry 4-legged one. We have several cats, too. They will be fine. Your story is awe

some and looking forward to reading about more

adventures.