Kitty the Most Adventurous Backpacking Cat in the World

cute kitty adventurous kitten cat pic

Update on their journey: the couple and the kitty are taking time off right now and starting a video production company in Colombia. They will continue their journey once they are ready :) . You can go to their Facebook to check out some of the videos they made.

————————

A pet cat is accompanying her owners on a mission to tour from Miami to Ushuaia, Argentina on foot on a $2,000 budget per year for about two to three years. Since they can only stay in the U.S. for 85 days, they are walking about 20 miles per day to get their goal accomplished. The French couple and their cat started their trip in Florida, then were headed west to Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.

The cat whose name is Kitty, is often seen resting in the backpack while the couple are hiking down the road. They even set up a little umbrella on the backpack to give the kitty some shade from the sun.

Kitty was found by the couple on a busy road when they were in Louisiana. She was very small, abandoned and alone. Initially the couple was going to find her a home, but very soon they decided to keep her because they had madly fallen in love. They took Kitty to the vet to receive shots and a physical checkup.

Kitty enjoys the trip as much as the couple. She often climbs on the shoulder of her daddy to get a good look at every new scenery. She does not seem to be shy or bashful about meeting new people or visiting a new place. The kitty is growing to be a world-class adventurous explorer, perhaps the first cat that gets to tour almost half way around the world.

The couple and their cat have attracted a plethora of local media attention wherever they land. The kitty is never shy from the camera. You can tell from the videos below that she is pretty comfortable with it.

You can find updates and more photos of their journey on their website.

cute kitty backpacking  kitten cat pic

cute kitty backpacking  kitten cat pic

Sponsored Links

92 Responses to “Kitty the Most Adventurous Backpacking Cat in the World”

1. ihavecat says:

oh, i LOVE this, sooo sweet! I can't believe she's never gotten freaked out and run away – that's what i would be afraid of! loved the little hat and the resting places they created for her on the backpack with an umbrella, in the jacket, around his neck etc!

• Deborah says:

I have house rabbits. Have had bunnies for decades. Never have they shown the slightest bit of interest in running away. Once I even locked one outside by mistake and found him waiting by the front door for at least 20 mins! LOL. If you fully respect a friend's need for freedom and well, respect, the bond is so strong that the last thing they'd want to do is leave you. I know a bunny is not a cat but I can say this has been my experience with dogs, bunnies, deer, birds, raccoons, foxes and opossums. Oh and squirrels. Animals are more like us than not. Kitty knows he or she is living the good life. I don't think there's any danger of running away. Unless of course a potential mate shows up. :D

2. lovemeow says:

I know. My cats would get so freaked out if they were brought outside the house. That's why they are indoor cats for life :). I just got them a lot of boxes to play with today. They are having so much fun now.

3. Frederick says:

Is she an Oriental type cat? Of all the cats I've seen, Orientals are the only ones that are able, or even want, to cling to people like that. Maybe someone can correct me.

Pretty amazing how she's a cat without her own "territory" – which seems to be the cause of issues when dealing with cats outside their home zone. (You don't walk cats, they walk you. Etc)

• lovemeow says:

Yea most cats would not like it at all. This cat is definitely something. Kitty is prob not an Oriental cat since Oriental cats look very similar to the Siamese, with usually very large ears, triangular face and very short hair. This kitty looks like a mixed breed with possibly a little Bengal. The Bengal is very active and loves the outdoors.

4. Kent Butler says:

Magnificent pics, adventure, and kitty – I love it!

5. Shirley Duignan says:

What a lovely story & lovely pitchers you have, love them all, I have 2 very addorabill cats we go for walks every day & we love them moments together!! . You are so lucky to be able to travel on that great trip your doing with your very beautiful cat good luck for ever Ireland

6. Hong says:

I love this cat also…
    How to make this cat love going outside..?
    My cat hates going outdoor very much!

7. Kerry says:

It's so nice to see these kinds of heartwarming stories. Gorgeous! I had a Russian Blue who would go everywhere with me as I used to house-sit alot and he really didn't care where he was as long as I was there and his food! LOL

8. Ana María says:

I want my kitties to travel with me!!!!

9. Anne says:

Great story, wonderful pix!

10. Sabrina says:

awwww such an adorable travel buddy!

11. Christina Becerra says:

I love the pictures of you and your Kitty.

12. Nicky says:

I love it, hope that I can do the same thing. I don't know why my cat always flee from my home. I wish that I have a cat like Kitty.

13. Jennie Kern says:

I think that Kitty is a reincarnated soul! I am so envious of the 3! (and note that the couple are able to communicate fluently in at least 3 languages)

14. Paula says:

I was sent the site today…how DELIGHTFUL.

I am in Cozumel, Mx and will checking on your progress.

Kitty feels safe, and enjoys the adventure.

The very best wishes to you, and Kitty

15. karleen says:

Oh my gosh! This is so sweet. What a wonderful story. What luck people & what a lucky cat. Wishing you many years of love together.

16. Rach says:

What an amazing cat. Kitty is just adorable. Good luck with your journey.

17. desiree NZ says:

Glory – she is fantastic – PLEASE DON"T LOSE HER – if you lost Kitty – we would fall apart!!

God bless and take care

18. Kristen says:

How sweet,

Animals love just being around us. What a great relationship to people and the world. Great for Kitty and his owners. They seem very content.

Very sweet!!

19. Menkit says:

That happened to me when I was 20 and travelling on a motor bike with my boyfriend through Australia. We found a little cat who was starving and homeless. Every day I would go feed it at the same place – he would always be there waiting for me. I convinced my boyfriend to swap the motor bike for a VW bug and off we went, a happy threesome! We travelled through the centre of Australia where our car blew up. We waited 5 days at the nearest town (lucky we were near one) for an engine to be shipped up. In that time she ran into the bush. I called and called and she never came (continued…)

20. Menkit says:

but I had a sense that at the last moment she would show up. Sure enough as we were getting ready to leave I went looking for her one last time and she came!

Another time she ran away at a drive-in theatre at night. I went back the next day and she came!

We ended up in Darwin and had many happy days settled before she tragically died of leukemia. In those days I knew nothing of the importance of vet check ups.

Your cat knows you love her and you are her home! Wherever you go she will be happy knowing that. Thank you for providing refuge for her.

21. Patty says:

WOW! what a cat, and what an adventure. Kitty is very lucky and so are the people.

22. Moe says:

What a heart warming story and great pictures. I have a dog and never knew the love of a kitty till a couple of years ago when I started taking care of an elderly neighbor with 2 kitties, he has passed so I am hoping his kitties will want to come live with me and my dog,it might be a challenge. Kitty is lucky to be so loved.

23. BJ says:

We have a dog and 2 cats and they travel very good. They are not in pens and they each have their own spot in the care when traveling. Thanks for your great story.

24. Bonnie says:

How sweet and adorable.

25. Ann & Jim says:

Loved reading about your journey and your amazing cat. We also love cats, have 4 cats which were strays, have front porch strays and back yard strays which we feed but will not let us tame them. We also have one small dog given to us by a neighbor and he loves the cats. We will be looking forward to seeing more about your journey with your cat. You are as amazing as your cat!

26. Lovely story and many more happy trips for you all!

I had my beautiful Rossi for 17 years, he was simply my baby and I lost him to cancer, had to put him down and I literally "saw" his little spirit go up! Honestly. I know what these lovelies are to you. I miss him every day but I have a wonderful Beagle-Walker hound now and she's the apple of my eye. My son found his wonderful tabby at the same shelter that I found my Josey (dog) at 2 days prior and we adopted them the same weekend. He's now 25, they're both 10 now and aging each in their own way but we're doing everything to keep them going and happy. Go to my facebook page and take a peek on my pictures. I'll be glad to make you my friend. Barbara

27. Jana Kirkpatrick says:

What a neat story! Thank you for sharing your adventure with anybody who wants to see it. I hope you have many years of happy traveling together with this sweet kitten.

Have a wonderful trip!

Jana Kirkipatrick

28. Kirstine says:

Love the fact that kitty was abandoned and found the people she was meant to be with. I have a white cat called Oedipus (eedie to her friends), who was abandoned with a litter when she was still a baby herself. Rehomed the babies and she moved in with me and my black cat Ceefa. Eedie is a happy soul and regularly walks into town with me as well as visiting her favoured haunts.. (the local pub and the train station cafe!) She also has an adventurous spirit like kitty and likes to drape herself around my neck like a scarf (especially when I'm wearing black! (all my clothes are covered in white hair on the darks and black hair on the lights!!) Bon Voyage kitty and I look forward to keeping track of your travels. Kirstine

29. Denise says:

That is so awesome and inspirational! Have fun little kitty!

30. Gretchen says:

What a great story. Kitties make possible all sorts of adventures. They open up worlds for us. Thanks for your story.

31. Lynda Herzog Pope says:

HOW WONDERFUL, THIS "KITTY GIRL"! I LOVE THE ENTIRE STORY. BOTH TREKERS & KITTY R FORTUNATE I'M CURIOUS HOW KITTY LETS U KNOW WHEN SHE WANTS FOOD, WATER OR HAS TO TINKLE & TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS!LOL SHE APPEARS SHE ENJOYS EVERYTHING FROM THE "RIDE" TO THE "HAT",

"UMBRELLA" & EVEN LAYING INSIDE HER MASTERS' JACKET (PIX ARE PRECIOUS)! MY 4 POUND WHITE ISABELLA RENEE IS 1/2 SIAMESE & 1/2 ANGORA; HOW'S THAT FOR A MIX? HUGE POINTED EARS & SOFT SILKY COAT & TOTALLY PINK SKIN. Lynda in La.

SK

32. Mary & Arthur :Q says:

Absolutely Best Kitty story we've read & we are now following your Journey ….You are to be congratulated on your kindness …How fortunate KITTY is to have found you …Our Best Wishes accompany the 3 of you …God Bless…safe travels …MARY !!!

33. Meowser Mom x9 says:

What a wonderful story!!! I'm sure Kitty is having as much fun as his/her parents. I enjoyed reading your story very much and seeing all the pictures. What fun!!!

34. Heather says:

Wow! thought a cat would NEVER do that! Kitty loves you as much as you do her! You saved her from an uncertain future, and she knows it. So she will stick with you wherever you go!

Love your pics and may your journey be happy and strife free.

35. Prue says:

all I can say is … awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

You are both blessed. Keep up the travels and keep us posted.

36. Andrea says:

Obviously the cat is enjoying this and his human companion loves him very much!

37. Marjon says:

AW, that's the most cute thing I've seen in a long time :-D

What a lovely little kitty, and amazing he just stays up there.

I'd be terrified to loose him..

38. Lilian says:

An loving it!!!!

39. Julie van Niekerk says:

This is unique and one can see that the cat enjoys this. I can see the owners also love their cat.

40. Janet W says:

This is the most refreshing story that I have ever read. I will sign on to your web page and

follow you where ever you may roam. Be safe and

I know Miss Kitty will be your safety guide. She

came to you for a reason. If you are ever in Fla

again, pls write or call so we could at least, let you lay your heads on our pillows. Yes, even your furry 4-legged one. We have several cats, too. They will be fine. Your story is awe

some and looking forward to reading about more

adventures.

41. buthie says:

wonderful cat…

42. Derby says:

This man needs a child.

43. bel says:

How marvellous!!!!!

I am just curious how Kitty will react when the family stops travelling? Cats are territory-base but this kitty has been on the road for much of its life, so has the unique circumstances changed its perception of "territory"?

Or has her parents became the "territory" in question?:))) I would be so curious to know!!!

44. Angela says:

Thank you for sharing. I love seeing stories like this.

45. Jennifer says:

that is sooo neat. i love the pics of kitteh with the little hat on.

46. Georgejinna says:

wow, i love your kittie

47. bella says:

the kitty is so well-behaved! haha :D

48. Talya says:

This is awesome. I once had a cat who LOVED car rides. He used to climb on my shoulder and watch the world pass by. The only problem I had, is when we'd stop for food. He'd be soo excited to greet the fast food worker, that he'd practically climb through the drive through window! lol

49. Vittoria De Maurizi says:

Maybe the cat thinks she is a opossum riding on the back of her mother? This cat reminds me of my cat, Mama Kitty who was abandoned at the vet with her four kittens. We were called to foster her and we found homes for her four kittens but we fell in love with her and she REALLY loves my boyfriend. She is not scared of anything and will go right up to dogs and stare them down. She LOVES to ride in the car and will get upset if you don't take her with you. She also rides the motorcycle every once in a while and she never runs away. We take her on vacation with us to the beach, too. (Although she doesn't seem to like the sand.)

50. Kate says:

I just can't even say enough about this cute little fur-ball. I just found this page and I am in complete awww… I think I will blog about it today. I recently lost my beloved 3 year old dog two weeks ago and this brought tears to my eyes, because we literally did everything together (except when I have to go to work) and I miss him soooo much. Please continue on this journey. I fare to say this little kitty has seen more of the world than most! Thanks so much for sharing.

xoxo – Kate

Follow-along with me on my journey@ catchupwithkate.blogspot.com

51. Deanna says:

This is so sweet! They were lucky to find each other. I love to travel and I'd love my own traveling kitty! :)

52. Sue Charles says:

This is such an amazing kitty, and family.

It has the same personality as my daughters cat we had 20 years ago. Boo Boo was so devoted and loyal, and was so understanding of my daughters limitations with her disability – Cerebral Palsy.

53. yotaka says:

CUTE AS HECK! And jealous as well. Have fun on your adventures! :D

54. laura says:

I used to have 2 beloved felines. First: Barnabus- rescued when I found him along with siblings (less than a week old, eyes shut). He loved car rides every single day, except for hot weather. He would love the long walks, when he get tired, I carry him back. He used to rode into bike trailer as well. Awesome cat. He died from age.

Second: Little One: rescued from hitting by a truck while playing and jumping out of ditch. He loved hiking, going to beach and car rides. He totally disliked cold which it made him very sick and bed ridden for few days. He had his life at the beach and in the woods. He did love car rides. His mouth got so bad and discovered that he had FeLV since birth. He was very well loved and slept with me all the time. He loved water and swam through with it, no problem at all. He played with water and in the rain, but again not in the colds. Only lived 2 and half year. He was lay to sleep to end his pain on the day of Japanese's Turisumi. Seriously!

55. nolruck says:

thank you very much for share the pictures and vidio, the French couple and their cat, very very nice, they are very smart,if they comeover thailand i would like to see them

Jeab

56. Markus says:

Great story! :)

57. Ingrid and the 4 fur says:

What an amazing story. I love the little umbrella and the kitty with her hat.

58. Amanda says:

wow that really knows how to pose in pictures! Cute and scary. Cat eyes totally peirce through..

59. ryuuko says:

a backpacker kitty, amazing!

good luck with your jurney. :3

60. Ainsley says:

This is so adorable! What a fun adventure!

61. Janet says:

Well this is just the cutest, sweetest thing.. what an awesome cat. The pictures are so cute. You can see the loving bond between Kitty & owners. Can’t wait to sign up & see your past and future adventures.

62. Edith says:

How awesome! Think I’m gonna learn my little kittens to be calm and chill on my backpack

63. gloria says:

I wish them to be safe whereever they are.
    Cats are so loveable and will trust you if you show them love and respect. awesome article.

64. kkoikos says:

I think silver tabbies are genetically prone to be mellow and highly intelligent.

65. Beth says:

How sweet. Great to get to travel and take the family!! The best way to go. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story. Kitties are so amazing. Just a natural part of the family.

66. Cat Minister says:

omg ….thats a cool story cooooool , my cats would be running mad outside

awesome meow story ….

67. Franklin says:

I love this!! Good luck on your journey, kitty the explorer!

68. Dorothy says:

What an awesome story!

69. Marki H. says:

This totally made my day. I was in such a bad mood, but then I saw this, and the biggest smile just crept across my face. I wish I could do this with my kitties. How did you get her to do this?

70. Ali says:

ive been homeless for a little while now, but i refused to give up my baby, i keep her well fed and make sure her needs are met, even before my own, food water and litter and shes set, ever since this journey me and my cat (marley) have such a strong bond, there’s moments in my life were she is all i have and im all she has, shes my best friend. i love her so much! me and her are moving into an apartment tomorrow, backpacking with a cat is hard at first, but then she just adjusted to it

71. nat says:

great people for helping kitty

72. Claudia says:

Amazing history! I´ll love if my cat do the same thing. But she gets crazy if go out my home. Love this two, they´re inseparable. xo from Brazil. Happy Holidays

73. Winston says:

any updates on this?

74. Nana says:

What a sweet couple and a sweet sweet cat! How i wish my cat will travel out with me as well!

75. Halina says:

Hello, I was just wondering if you were in Australia last year some time, in Melbourne in the state of Victoria? The reason I ask is that after I read this story I saw a chap walking around Box Hill Station with a cat on his shoulders and wondered if this was you. If it was I would have loved to have come over and say hello however I had to run an errand that day. Take care and God bless.

76. Jeff says:

What a great story! An awesome experience for the kitty too. I’d LOVE if one of my kitties was an outdoor cat. They only plop down in the yard and roll around. I’ve tried taking them on a walk with a leash but I may as well just drag them around LOL….Oh well….I love them all to death regardless. My kitties are my companions and mean the world to me. I’d go on a Ramen diet before I let any of them suffer….

77. Kelly says:

My Girdi loves to ride on the 4 wheeler with us and never gets freaked out, the only time she freaks is if we go riding and leave her at home!

78. nina lyn lansa says:

amazing story <3

79. Maremma says:

Wow that is one loyal kitty! I can’t believe she doesn’t get curious and wonder off when mom and dad aren’t looking!

80. Shinta says:

Great story…. i love so much…..

81. Kiz says:

I cant believe the cat has stayed with them! you think she would run away or freak out and dissapear?! wish I could do this with my cat.. XD

82. Frenzy says:

This is truly amazing and ADORABLE. <3 backpack kitty!!!

83. Emily says:

Aww, what a fantastic kitty! And I was all proud because my cat enjoys going out on a least – pfft. I’m so jealous. :D

84. Nikki says:

I love this! I bet she’s having a great time. This is the sweetest and cutest story ever. Just some advice though: Make sure to get her spade – when she gets to that age, her natural instincts will be to leave and find a mate. They always know how to get back home but since you’re always on the road, she might not know where to get back to.

85. Fernanda says:

this is one of my favorite ones! <3

86. Alani says:

what a happy and content looking cat! :)

87. Christian Meland says:

Wonderful !
    How is the cat today ?

Catlover.

88. Andy says:

I live in Bolivia, right next to Argentina. I hope I get to see them when they hit the road again and pass through my country! Lovely Kitty!