A Small Cat with a Brave Heart

Wendy likes to watch over things that are cooking over the stove

Wendy, a lovely tabby cat may look like a kitten, but she is more than 4 years old.

Wendy grew up with a congenital disease called mega esophagus, which made her unable to eat any solid food. Her growth was affected as a kitten, so she stayed small into adulthood. She cannot eat normally like other cats and needs assistance from her mom during every meal time. It is hard for me to imagine what Wendy has to go through everyday in order to survive, but this little girl has bravery and determination to live a happy life.

Wendy only weighs a few pounds, but she never lets her problem stop her from being a frisky, playful cat that she is.

Wendy is very clever and mischievous. She likes to jump on the stove even when there are things cooking on it. Wendy’s mommy, Cristina is always there to make sure that she does not get too close. But it seems that Wendy already knows that.

"I am making food for my mommy, but it's taking too long. Nap time!"

“She controls what’s cooking,” says Cristina.

Wendy has a special diet that consists of yogurt, baby food, kitty milk and a few others. She is not able to eat normally and needs her mom’s help every time. With Cristina’s love and care, Wendy is able to live a healthy and active life.

Many vets have told Cristina that cats like Wendy do not usually live long. It is a miracle  to everyone that Wendy is turning five this August.

We hope Wendy will have many many many more years to celebrate.

Story and photos courtesy of Cristina from Italy.

Don’t you just love her big beautiful eyes?

“Am I adorable enough for you?”

Wendy is trying to impersonate the computer mouse

She is curious and loves to play

She is a tough gal and will not back down from her disease

what Wendy has to go through everyday to survive

15 Responses to “A Small Cat with a Brave Heart”

1. Dana Shimek says:

She is a beautiful little girl! She is very lucky to have a great mommy that supports her. Hope she has many birthdays to come.

2. Marg says:

Wendy sure is a cutie and what a wonderful Mom to do all that special feeding.It is so great to hear wonderful stories like this when there are so many other sad stories out there. The pictures are really wonderful.

3. Karen says:

What a little sweetheart. I love to see a cat beat the odds like that.

4. crn says:

i hope she will celebrate many birthdays!

5. everycat says:

Whata super little cat Wendy is. Her Mum is a real friend to cats to do so much to help Wendy stay so well and happy! Long life to you Wendy!

Whicky Wuudler

6. @GiniDiane says:

Wendy and her mother are an inspiration. What a precious little cat she is. I loved all the pics, showing how much Wendy loves her life!

7. Dee says:

What a sweetheart!! And wendy is so lucky to have a caring mom! I loved all the pics…thanks for sharing this heartwarming story

8. janie jones says:

Oh sweetie. I'm so glad someone is taking care of her. She's beautiful and deserves every ounce of loving.

9. I'm sorry to learn about Wendy's health problems. However, I'm thrilled to know Wendy and Cristina have each other. There is definitely a lot of love between them.

10. ihavecat says:

what a wonderful kitty with a loving mommy. she is beautiful and i love the pictures!

11. octopuss says:

Awww, many many happy returns of the day to come in August, Wendy!

12. Holly says:

Hi Christina,

I'm so glad to hear that there are success stories associated with Megaesophagus. My 10wk old kitten Precious was just diagnosed with Megaesophagus this past weekend and I'm just devastated. If you can give me any advice about how to care for her or for her dietary needs, it would be much appreciated. I know it takes alot of work and effort to live with this but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to give her a good quality of life.

13. Cristina says:

Hi Holly,

Wendy's diet consists of homogenized for children, as much as possible in various flavors, milk, cheese or sometimes beaten egg yolk and never allow to get close to solid foods.

14. bel says:

awww, Looks like Wendy is cooking pasta??
    Wendy is a brave & pretty girl :)

15. alisha says:

hello, cristina!

i love this story so much. my little cat, olive, is also a megaesophagus cat, diagnosed with congenital megaesophagus when she was a kitten.

thank you so much for posting wendy's amazing story. pet owners should know that this NOT a terminal illness and does NOT mean their beloved pets have a grim future. megaesophagus is a condition that takes time and extra care, but it is completely manageable.

thank you again!