Kitties Rescued by US Marines in Afghanistan

cute rescued and marine soldier

Simba & Timothy Kuklis

In Afghanistan, in the midst of war, many animals are lost and separated from their family. Many are found later by troops from the US, UK and Canada. Soldiers rescue these animals and get help from rescue groups that help them send these animals out of the country and to a forever loving home that they deserve.

Three US marine soldiers, Brian Chambers, Chris Berry and Aaron Shaw, started a mission to help bring home the kittens they have befriended while serving in Afghanistan (Facebook group). With generous donations from cat lovers and help from Noward Dogs animal rescue, Kiki and Keykey, two lovely ginger kitties, have successfully made it home in the US. Unfortunately 2 other cats, Simba and Ra-Ko, lost the battle against their illnesses a few weeks ago.

Kiki and his sister Bones were found by Brian Chambers, a US marine.

cute rescued kitten in afghanistan

Kiki taking a nap

“At only 3 weeks old, their mother had disappeared and they were left alone to live rough and fend for themselves like the other cats in this area. We looked after them both and they lived in a box in the office, after a week they were allowed to roam around during the day and sleep with us in the hooch at night.”

Unfortunately Bones vanished a week after along with Kiki, but Kiki eventually returned.

Kiki was injured badly on Monday 8th of March. Brian found him in horrible condition. “He was too frightened to approach me, I ran to find some wipes to clean him and I then realised how bad this wounds really were…”

A vet came the next day and put Kiki on a course of antibiotics. Today Kiki has fully recovered.

“Kiki is a very playful adventurous cat, he loves to explore and is very curious, he enjoys sitting on my shoulder, chewing on my hand and running up my legs. He hasn’t been put off by what has happened to him.”

cute rescued kittens and cats in Afghanistan

Keykey cuddling with his buddy

Keykey was found by another US marine named Chris Berry.

“I found Keykey tangled up in c-wire one day in the beginning of the deployment, I took him in and fixed his wounds. He was also extremely malnourished so I constantly kept an eye on him and fed him until he got back to good health and he has been by my side ever since.”

Both Keykey and Kiki have arrived in the US. Kiki is currently living with Brian’s parents in Houston, Texas until he leaves the Marines and moves home. Keykey is living with Chris’ parents in Detroit, Michigan and enjoying his new family.

For soldiers who are on duty overseas, often time the only chance they get to cuddle is when they meet these stray animals. These soldiers are lonely and longing for love from their family and friends. The kitties are abandoned, lost and have nowhere to call home. When they find each other, they become best friends.

Photos courtesy of Brian Chambers, Louise Hastie and Yianna ‘Gigi’ Chambers.

cute rescued kitten and US marine soilder

Kiki & Brian Chambers

cute rescued kittens and US marine soilder

Simba

cute rescued kitten in afghanistan and marine soldier napping

James and his kitty friend share a bed

cute rescued kitten

Timothy Kuklis attempts to give kitty a kiss

cute rescued kitten and US marine soldier

Aaron Shaw and Simba

cute rescued kitten and Us marine soldier

Kiki and Timothy

cute rescued kitten in afghanistan

cute rescued kittens in afghanistan

Kiki, Ra-ko & Simba

cute rescued kittens in Afghanistan

Kiki, Ra-ko & Simba

cute rescued kitten and us marine soldier

Keykey and Chris Berry

cute rescued kitten

Kiki's new home in Houston, Texas

cute rescued cat and new kitty friend

Kiki's new furry buddy in his new home

cute rescued cat and his new home

Keykey's new home in Detroit, Michigan

217 Responses to “Kitties Rescued by US Marines in Afghanistan”

1. bobbi says:

That is the most heartwarming story I've heard in a long time. Way to go guys!

• Barbara says:

My favorite is the one with Brian having the kitten on his shoulder and smiling while his eyes are closed. Who says God doesn’t put a marshmallow heart in the toughest Marine? God bless all the Soldiers and may God bring you all home safely…

• Raven says:

I absolutely loved this! I work with military applicants all day, and it is nice to see that so many of them still have their hearts turned into so much fluff over a little ball of fur :D

2. ilana says:

amazing!

3. Starla says:

That is so darn cute! Who says tough guys don't like kittens? Stay safe, boys.

4. Debbie says:

How wonderful and beautiful. And so many Ginger colored kitties in one place!

5. Guin says:

Not surprised. They're called heroes for a reason.

6. Pao says:

These guys are real heroes. It's so nice to see people who care in this world.

7. Courtney says:

This is the most heartwarming & outstanding story I've ever heard. These guys are the very definition of heroes, it gives me hope to know that there are people like them still out there.

Great job!!! Well done <3

8. Brian says:

Yes indeed, American Heros for a lot of reasons. Such a beautiful story and happy faces.

9. Zam says:

I'm very touched by this story. Still having room for compasionate to lil creatures despite the dangers all around happening. This is a love at a higher level. Congrats all. You guys are the best.

10. deb says:

thank you for sharing this story – it was absolutely wonderful. What fantastic men. They are heroes!

11. LisaMarie says:

This makes me very happy to see these soldiers bonding with these kittens…Showing compassion and love is why they are heroes…..God bless!

12. OH! Those tiny kittens are Heroes to help our soldiers, we need to return their love and make sure they have a safe haven to live.

13. terri says:

can we get weekley up dates about kitty i hop you can keep kitty while your over their and can take kitty home with you that so dweet you guys saved the kitty stay savewhile you are on tour goddbless you keep save

14. Meow Momma says:

This brought tears to my eyes at how heartwarming and lovely this story is! Thank-you to the men and women overseas fighting for our freedom and for helping these lovely kitties!!! God Bless you all!!!

15. Brooke says:

God bless you for helping to save these helpless creatures…

16. Robyn Lynn Reichert says:

YOU guys are amazing! Thank you for being oso brave defending our country and saving those precious babies lives as well! God Bless you always!

17. Denise says:

God bless all of you for helping these kitties!!

18. Leah says:

Strong men can always afford to be gentle, nothing is so strong as gentleness, and nothing is so gentle as true strength.

19. janiejones says:

Beautiful cats, beautiful story, beautiful thing they're doing. God bless.

20. Emily says:

This is great to see! It has been proven for a long time now that pets are great therapy and can soften the hardest of hearts! Thank you for doing a great job all around!!!

21. Olivia says:

AW I LOVE YOU ARMY GUYS! I'm so happy to read such a beautiful story. Good on you guys for taking it upon yourselves to rescue and raise these homeless kittens :) It was so heartwarming to see all of the cute photos; strong men being all cutesy with tiny kittens :P hehehe

Yay!

22. Lesley says:

Who knew your best friends would be felines in such a difficult situation…you guys are not only heroes for fighting the good fight, but for rescuing and caring for such beautiful creatures…god bless all of you and thank you from the bottom of my heart <3

23. Fuzzy Tales says:

This has me in tears….I'm so sorry two of the little ones didn't make it, though. But so glad two did and have good homes now.

And boy, there's nothing more appealing than tough men being loving and gentle with four-legged or two-legged babies!

24. What a heart warming story – how amazing those kitties survived at all until the Marines found them and took care of them and how great that they are in the USA waiting for them to get home.

25. Mike says:

I was thinking to myself "they're all yellow tabbies" but then I realized where they're from… It must be a very successful color/pattern in Afghanistan! Such cute kitties, great story!

26. Barbara says:

You guys are the greatest!

27. Mary Mays says:

Awesome story. Its so nice to read stories like this. Its encouraging. These guys should get some kind of a medal for this. They have made a real difference to those cats' lives. Its something that should really be recognized around the world. When you guys get home, email me at the link I posted and I will send or deliver CATNIP plants for your new rescued pets! I have been growing catnip for many years so they are bigger than the small ones that they sell at Petsmart. Take care and keep up the good (spectacular) work!

Mary

28. Sabrina says:

There is nothing hotter than a cute guy with a kitten. :)

29. Nathalia says:

These cats give those young boys an wonderful opportunity to survive all the madness of war and brought back the best of their humanity. God always opens a window to let the sun shine in our lives.

• gena says:

Loved your response. I, too, was touched by how young those boys are, and how their love for these kittens can help me get through the horrors of the situation there were (hopefully) in. Two years ago now, hope and pray all these boys got home OK and in one piece.

30. Dee says:

Hearth warming story!! Way to go soldiers!!!

31. Celia says:

GREAT story! Love the kitties and our men and women serving in the military. The kitties are a great blessing to comfort the soul.

32. Elise says:

BEST rescue story ever!

We need more super soldiers like them, saving kittehs while fighting the Taliban, not abusing prisoners …

33. KittyTron3000 says:

I heart this story! Thank you for keeping us in the know, Lovemeow!!

34. Marilia says:

Love in the middle of war! It is beautiful to see that soldiers have hearts brave and sensitive at the same time.

35. Annabel says:

This is the sweetest thing I've ever read. Made my week :)

36. Rosarinho says:

Very beautiful love story with a happy end.Thank my sweet MAN.

37. CatLover says:

It is truly magical how these cats & their men were brought together!

38. This why the German ppl sent their children to the part of Berlin. So they could be fed and protected. The Russioans were on the other border. American men have ALWAYS been REAL heroes!!!

39. jillian says:

good on you guys!!!…great story!!! :-)