Good News from Cat Island, How to Help

rescued cat japan earthquake tsunami

A cat (perching on overhang) rescued from one of the hardest hit areas.

Sendai Television Inc. (http://joox.tv) reported a message on their bulletin board regarding contact from Tashirojima (Cat Island). On March 14 approximately 2pm local time, two tourists from Aoba-ku, Sendai were confirmed safe in one of the shelters on Cat Island. Though the post was later removed from the bulletin, we were able to retrieve it through Google caching (screenshot).

Most of people and cats are doing ok on the island, but they are very short of necessities such as food and water. A Self-Defense Force helicopter has landed on Tashirojima (cat island) and rescue effort is underway.

“Just to give everyone an update on Tashirojima, cat island. The people and cats are safe but short of food. A volunteer looked into transporting food by boat, but the is too much debris in the water. A helicopter is the only way. The army will probably get a helicopter ready soon so we are looking into the possibility of asking them to take cat food too,” stated by Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support, a coalition of three no-kill rescue groups: Japan Cat NetworkHeart Tokushima and Animal Friends Niigata.

Many other rescue groups have been on the road to send relief to the devastated areas, but traffic is the biggest hurdle for them to get to the places. The same trip that used to take only a couple hours, now takes 7 or longer hours to get to. Many shelters are also affected by limited gas supply for transportation and scheduled power outages.

Animal Welfare will be deploying a team to assess needs regarding animal rescue. “”As we saw most recently in Haiti, major disasters require long-term planning and a concerted effort between NGO and governmental ranks to ensure that the greatest number of animals and humans benefit from the intervention.” You can donate to help.

Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support have set up a fundraiser for people who want to chip in and help. You can check out Japan SPCA to send your support.

World Vets and and American Humane Society are on their way to provide relief to the affected areas.

Below image from Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue:

“This is the start of our trip to get closer to the areas affected. We packed the van with supplies from Animal Friends Niigata (where any animals we find will be brought back to, given proper medical care). What you see is pet food, kennels, leashes and capturing equipment.”

animal friends niigata load up the car ready to rescue

Japan Earthquake animal rescue & support getting ready for their trip to the hardest hit areas

cute puppy rescued reunited with owner japan earthquake tsunami

A local Japanese newspaper reported a rescued puppy reunited with his owner

68 Responses to “Good News from Cat Island, How to Help”

1. Jemma says:

Thanks for the update – we are so glad to hear most people and cats on the island are safe!

2. Lashantina says:

I hope and pray this will be able to bring some cat food there along with other supplies…cats are hardy…they can hang on a few days without eating…

3. carmela says:

thanks for the update, I pray they can safely bring food and what ever is needed, happy to hear most people and cats are ok!!

4. AlejandraGT says:

Good news among such bad news…I am still concerned about Tama, the Station Master cat…I've got no news from her facebook account. If any of you get news, please leave a message here. If you haven't heard about Tama, write it in any web site search and read her amazing story…

5. Arleen says:

I am so happy to hear that the people and the cats on the island are surviving! The picture of the man being reunited with his dog is beautiful. :-)

6. ronak says:

I'm from Iran,me and my sister are very worry about the people and cat's and all of the animals in japan,we watching your site every day and we hope that every thing will be better for people and cat's in japan.

7. Marilyn says:

Thank you for the update. continued prayers for all in Japan.

8. N says:

Poor things! But I'm glad to hear most of them are okay.

9. Brigitte says:

Thank you for letting us know about Cat Island. I feel so helpless, I wish I could do something. I pray every night for them and wish for good to come out of this tragedy.

10. Jane says:

Have been thinking about this ever since your last post. Many thanks for updating with good news. Thoughts go out to the people of Japan and their animals

11. karen says:

Thank you so much for keeping us up to date about Cat Island. I know that humans are suffering…but so are the little animals! The photo of the man being reunited with his dog touched my heart….makes me feel that there's always a silver lining, even when things seem out of control. Thanks again for the info!

12. Manu says:

I'm so glad they're safe! :-) Thanks for the update!

Hope they'll get some food now :o ))

13. Marg says:

Thanks so much for an update. I hope they can get some supplies to the people and kitties.

That picture of that man getting his doggie back made me cry. What a wonderful picture with all the disaster around.

14. Marilia says:

Thanks for the news!!!

15. ElizabethSP says:

Thank you for letting us know!

16. Caroline says:

OMG.. I was so gald that they're alright. brought tears to my eyes.. Wish I could abondon all I have right now and go to Japan to help my fellow people and furry friends..

17. Christine Aspinall says:

How relieved I was to hear this very good news! Delighted that the people and the cats have survived and are O.K. Hope that soon they will be able to get food through for the people and the kitties. Was also very touched with the photo of the man being reunited with his puppy. The man looks about to cry, the puppy looks bewildered and the rescue worker also looks very concerned. Do so hope there will be many more happy reunions in the midst of this most terrible disaster.

18. Gloria says:

Thank you god that the people and cats are okay, I have prayed for all of them since I heard the news…

19. Fink says:

I will pray for all the people and animals…

20. Sandra says:

Thank you for updating! I hope the cats & other animals as well as their human friends will be okay.

21. Ohh this is such a good news, I hope rescue group can get to them soon… have you get in touch with your friend there? My family is fine although they are shaken up a bit…

22. caroline says:

thanks a lot for the update! i was so worried! i was able to donate a little. Im still worried about my homestay family in Kamakura though….

23. jenn_phil says:

thank you for updating us! let's all pray that they will all be safe and recover from this devastating natural disaster. #prayforjapan

24. Thank you so much for this update. We will continue to purr and pray for the people and animals of Tashirojima, and for all of Japan,

25. Ellie says:

That last photo almost made me cry. Wonderful news. I'm so donating.

26. Thank you for all the news…our prayers are with all those affected.

27. Ann says:

Dear Japanese Cat Rescuers,

You are our heroes for going into those dangerous and devastated areas to rescue trapped and stranded, frightened and freaked-out cats. We wish you safety and success in all your efforts.

Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, Cisco and Pancho

28. Mel says:

Reunion photo was so awesome.Hope they get food and water over there soon.glad for some good news

29. Kimberly says:

Thank you all so much for sharing these information, i've been worrying about Tashirojima. i'm happy to hear the good news, and glad to find a way to help out.

30. Sporky says:

Thank you so much for the info! I've been so worried!

31. yotaka says:

I've been soooooo worried about these cats! Very glad that it seems I will be able to visit the island one day. I send my prayers and donations to Japan.

32. Anne Petzer says:

I am so pleased and impressed by your effort to save the cats-God bless you for doing that. My prayers are with you.

33. Kathryn M. says:

Thank you for your efforts to keep us updated on Cat Island.

34. Fisher says:

Thank you so much for keeping us all informed. It seems we have pretty small problems compared to the animals in Japan. Thank you for doing such a great service! Your friend, Fisher

35. Old Kitty says:

Oh wow!! I'm so happy to know that there is an SPCA in Japan!! That's great!! Thanks for this news update – I just love that picture of the man reunited with his dog – I think that sums up the hope that can be achieved amidst such devastation.

Take care

x

36. Wyllow says:

Tears when I read this post! I am so happy everyone there is safe. Thank you for keeping us updated! Be well in Japan, humans and animals, all!

37. Elma says:

Im very happy to read about this news update . I prayed that they will get help food what they need. thanks a lot .

38. Teri says:

So happy most everythings safe. I'd love to be there to help with the care of the cats and to releave the people.

39. rose says:

thank you so much for update..

our company is taking payroll donations for japan & then will match what ever you put in..

I couldnt amagine what these people went through..god bless the people & animals..:)