We are happy to learn that Maru, Pokke, Meme and the Momo rescue group are safe after the devastating earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan. Also, we just got a message from Poteto‘s dad that they are doing fine. We are still trying to contact Shironeko, we just got an update that he and his family are safe!. We are sending our prayers and purrs to all the furry friends and people in Japan. Our hearts go out to them.

Edit: Power is out in many places in Japan including where Maru resides, but they are doing fine.

Updates from ARK, an animal rescue group in Japan.

The cat island also named Tashirojima is near Sendai – [edit] we just received updates regarding the island. We are praying that all the cats knew it ahead of time and made it to safe places.

You can help by visiting Red Cross.

cute maru in a cat carrier

Maru

cute pokke scottish fold hides under desk during earthquake

Pokke took refuge under the desk during the earthquake

cute scottish fold cat pokke hides behind desk peekaboo

It took a while for Pokke to come out of the desk

cute scottish fold pokke japan 8.9 earthquake

Updates from Maru, updates from Pokke, updates from Momo rescue group, updates from Poteto, updates from Meme.

41 Responses to “Maru and Pokke are Safe After the 8.9 Earthquake in Japan, Cat Island is Near Epicenter”

1. Lillian says:

Thank heavens these little Angels are safe

and i hope the others make it

2. sea says:

♥♥♥ to all our Japanese friends, humans and kittens!

3. Marilyn says:

Prayers to all of our friends in Japan!

4. Claudia says:

All my thoughts are with them, and I hope that all of them (kitties and humans friends) are well. Lots of love ♥♥♥

5. Ellie says:

Great news. I didn't know so many love meow cats are from japan!

6. Brigitte says:

Happy to hear some good news about my furry friends and their family. My prayers are with you and the people of Japan and their pets.

7. AG says:

good to hear of their safety

8. Lyn says:

Glad to hear you are safe Maru, praying for your human friends as well.

9. Karen Pauer says:

Prayers are being sent for the little kitties and their humans in Japan!

10. carmela says:

so happy you all are ok, sad that such devastation happen, my prayers go out to all that lost so much, god bless the people in Japan and all the pets!!!

11. angela says:

glad all the cats are safe and important that all involved with the rescure are okay too

12. Beverly says:

I'm so happy to know you all are all right… my prayers are going out to you all in Japan, and especially to the precious kitties on Tashirojima Island. God bless you all.

13. Katie says:

So glad that everyone is doing as well as can be expected, our hearts and prayers go to all the pets and people of Japan. Maru you have a special place in my heart,so glad that you are ok and of course all of the other fur balls.

14. Ashley says:

Thats so sad. I hope everybody is safe and everyone gets power back in their homes. I'm glad Maru and Pokke are safe. My heart goes out to everyone, especially all the kitties on Cat Island! It's a very small place from what Ive read!

15. Bob says:

I am very concerned about Cat Island. Nearby locations were greatly affected. http://photos.syracuse.com/post-standard/2011/03/

• MyKinKStar says:

I read about Cat Island being underwater yesterday – On A Blog. NO News Link was provided as proof, so I went to Google, but only found it to be a blog story. Nothing found today either, so no way to know the truth.

With many considering written word as fact, and the line between opinion and news constantly being blurred on the interWEB, it's more important than every for writers to be responsible for whatever they put out there. It's bad enough when a disaster happens and emotions are high, but to have to wonder and worry about what may or may not be real, because there's no way to verify it is simply horrible.

Still, I will visualize bright, healing light over the people and the animals in Japan.

16. Paula says:

I am more than thrilled that all of you are ok!! I am just saddened beyond words for the people and animals that didn't make it though. All of my relatives are ok, they are in Tokyo. This is just such a tragedy and I'm devastated for everyone over there. It's ok Pokke, you can come out now!! ♥

17. Kacee says:

So glad you reported the status of these sweeties. Thank you. It's so devastating what they are going through and I am very happy to know the furry ones are okay.

18. Moogy says:

Definitely something to cheer about! ♥

19. Sporky says:

Cricket and I are so thrilled the kitties are safe and sound. Hope they find the wearabouts of the last one mentioned. Sending heartfelt prayers around the world to our friends. xoxox

Carol

20. MaryLou Rupp says:

I keep praying that all the kitties and doggles in Japan are surviving and safe. There are so many aspects of this terrible tradegy! My heartfelt good wishes to all who find themselves in this unsure time.

21. Christine Aspinall says:

Thank heavens that Maru and Pokke and their humans are O.K. Hope against hope that the kitties on Cat Island were able to get to high ground. Absolutely horrific event! My heart goes out to all those people who lost loved ones and also for the lost animals.

22. Carol G says:

I am wondering if any of our Japanese friends' cats noticed anything prior to the quake hitting? Were they agitated minutes/hours/days ahead of time?

23. Tammy says:

I tried to donate to ARK for animal victims of the earthquake but its PayPal page is in Japanese. Any idea how we can get donations there?

• MyKinKStar says:

Okay, try going to your own PayPal page and enter to pay, then put in ARK. Since they are set up to accept PayPal, their account will come up and you just enter your donation amount.

If that doesn't work, try translating the page using Google – enter "translate" in their search box (without the quotes), and then enter the webpage from the address box to get the page back in English.

24. paco jimenez says:

Hope our friends Humans and furry ones, on the island are ok… :D

25. beckyl says:

i am happy for the update, but i'm so sad for those that haven't made it…

26. Momo says:

Purrs going out to all the people and furries that are affected. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

27. -pk says:

Thank God Maru and Pokke are safe! I hope their mom and dad are safe as well! My thoughts and prayers are with you all! <3

-pk

28. Angela says:

I'm so thankful to hear they are all doing fine. I hope to hear about Shironekochan soon.

29. Rochelle says:

Hope all of them are safe!

30. Island girl says:

So glad to hear about Maru!

Now, please, please some good news about Shironeko and his family! Praying and waiting to hear that they're ok.

31. Kiki says:

Good to hear! =)

32. Nancy says:

My purrs in San Francisco send their love. My thoughts and prayers are with the people and pets of Japan. Stay safe!

33. kelly says:

Thought of all the poor animals over there. So thankful to hear that Maru is safe! Hope all othe other furbabies are safe as well….

34. Deborah says:

So glad to see Maru and others are Ok. I see Maru is earthquake ready in his carrier. Does anyone know where that type of carrier can be purchased? Thks.

35. Emre says:

My all prayers with those kitties and people who are effected from that huge earthquake and tsunami. And I'm glad to hear that Maru and others are safe.

The cats seeing the earthqueak on TV must have thought that it was the Doomsday, I mean THE FINAL BATH DaY. I'm so glad that all of them are safe. I just LOVE Maru and was very worried about him and

of course I also think about all of you. Strenght and good luck, Japan!.

From Spain with love!.

37. Eva Nor says:

Thank God, all of kitties are safe. Love to all our human friends and kitties in Japan.

38. Jim Mills says:

Hana and Coco are fine too. We are in Kawasaki, but we feel many aftershocks almost every 30 minutes.

39. Ellen says:

I'm so glad all these kitties survived the earthquake!