Backpacking Cat Touring the World with French Couple

cute backpacking cat

Kitty and Guillaume

Update on their journey
: the couple and the kitty are taking time off right now and starting a video production company in Colombia. They will continue their journey once they are ready :). You can go to their Facebook to check out some of the videos they made.

—————————-

A pet cat is accompanying her owners in a mission to tour around the world by foot on a $2,000 budget per year for about two to three years. Since they can only stay in the U.S. for 85 days, they are walking about 20 miles per day to get their goal accomplished. The French couple and their cat started their trip in Florida, then were headed west to Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.

The cat whose name is Kitty, is often seen resting in the backpack while the couple are hiking down the road. They even set up a little umbrella on the backpack to give the kitty some shade from the sun.

Kitty was found by the couple on a busy road when they were in Louisiana. She was very small, abandoned and alone. Initially the couple was going to find her a home, but very soon they decided to keep her because they had madly fallen in love. They took Kitty to the vet to receive shots and a physical checkup.

Kitty enjoys the trip as much as the couple. She often climbs on the shoulder of her daddy to get a good look at every new scenery. She does not seem to be shy or bashful about meeting new people or visiting a new place. The kitty is growing to be a world-class adventurous explorer, perhaps the first cat that gets to tour around the world.

The couple and their cat have attracted a plethora of local medias attention wherever they land. The kitty is never shy from the camera. You can tell from the video below that she is pretty comfortable with it.

Check out their photos of the journey.

If you can read French, don’t forget to visit their site to see more about this amazing journey.

Source:

Image:

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

89 Responses to “Backpacking Cat Touring the World with French Couple”

1. felicia smith says:

how did they forge that bond? and doesn't it hurt to have kitty running up the side of your body? I'm sure they didn't do any declawing…

2. Maria says:

I'm assuming they got all the proper health certificates for all the countries they plan to visit. I was also relieved they had the pitty on a leash…most of the time.

3. lovemeow says:

I was told that Kitty got all the shots and exams from a vet. They found her in Louisiana. She was a stray at the time and she just came up to them. They decided to adopt the little one.

4. Starra Dykstra says:

Just watched the video of Kitty. Truly amazing. How I envy their adventures and the precious bonding with Kitty. Thank you so much for sharing their incredible story. As a multiple cat owner I can appreciate the uniqueness of this story.

5. Elaine says:

This is a truly remarkable adventure. Thanks for sharing with the world, showing what great companions cats really are. Enjoy every minute of your travels the three of you.

6. Chris says:

Any news on where they are now? I see William's news on Sept 1, 2009 that Laetitia returned to France but that he was going to continue with kitty. The latest blog entry is from Columbia in November 2009, signed William and kitty. He mentions he is weak and thin. The translation is confusing: "I need to gain weight, knowing where I am seeing clearer. So I decided to ask for a later time to continue the march. I do not waste my goal to Ushuaia. " Then no more news and I am worried. Anybody know anything?

and I am worried.

• lovemeow says:

I am on their facebook friend list. They have not updated much about the trip, but the couple got married and had a beautiful wedding :). Lately they have been sharing a lot of music videos on facebook. here is the link:

• lovemeow says:

i am on their Facebook friend list. They have not updated much about their trip, but they have been posting music videos. The couple have gotten married. :) Here is their facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/turnoftheworld

• Cynthia says:

Truly heart warming…cats go with anything or clearly anywhere.

• lovemeow says:

Did you mean the link to their website? It works on my end. can you try again and let me know how it goes? Thank you.

• lovemeow says:

Oh you are right. That's the one. I will fix the link later. sorry about that :). thank you for letting me know. You are super!

• Julie says:

Incroyable!!! Kitty made my day. Merci beaucoup!!! You are truely blessed with such a great companion. Il y en aqui ont vraiment de la chance!! A votre sante. (no accents).

• Bonnie says:

Love that kitty. Can't seem to find out where they are now? Does anyone know? Bonnie

• Rowanm77 says:

What an incredible story!

• AndreaJF says:

That is just fanstastic, I wish all 3 of them the best of luck on their journey

• bob schulenberg says:

Is Kitty still with them? I hope!

• Bronwyn says:

sooooooooooooooo CUTE!!!!!

• star says:

that bond was amazing it's like the bind my cat and i shared

• Susan J. - Michigan says:

This IS a pretty adventurous feline, but NOT the first to travel the world. That honor belongs to Norton, a Scottish Fold companion of author Peter Gethers. Check out "The Cat Who Went to Paris", "A Cat Abroad" and "The Cat Who'll Live Forever" to read of his adventures.

• Janice says:

I took my kitty hot air ballooning in Santa fe New Mexico and thought that was cool. She would also go hiking with me in the Rocky Mountains….those kinds of cats are rare!

Meilleures vieux,, how do we get updates?

• lovemeow says:

How cool. I would love to meet your kitty :).

You can go to their website for updates :).http://enfanceart.free.fr/miami_ushuaia/

• Jan Quintrell says:

Good luck on your travels, my cat Studley was
    bought from the Animal Welfare League, he was
    18 months old when we got him, and we think he may have been beaten at sometime in his life.
    That will not happen in our home, he is such a lovely and loving cat and is the boss of our house and great company. Good luck to all the cat lovers in the world.

• Jaytee says:

Anyone have any news on Kitty & William? I hope they are both okay. So worried!

• cindy cantlin says:

I love Kitty. What a wonderful adventure! We hope everyone is OK. Cindy

• Kimbo says:

I think this is a truly wonderful story, but would really like to know that all is well with the three of you. I can’t find any recent entries/updates anywhere. Can anyone please help. Thanks!!!

• lovemeow says:

It seems like they are taking time off in Columbia and working on their video production :). You can go to their FB profile to watch some of the videos they made :), pretty impressive.

• Maria says:

What "Columbiia" are you all talking about??? The South American country? Then it's COLOMBIA!!! Americans get it wrong most of the time…! District of Columbia, Republic of Colombia. Capisce?

• Arthur says:

By "Americans" do you mean North Americans, South Americans or maybe just people from the U.S.? People get that wrong some, (but not "most") of the time.

• lovemeow says:

Sorry it's my bad. Thanks for correcting the typo.

• Jean Guy says:

I have 3 cats and it doesn't surprise me at all. Cats bond to their owner just like dogs. I know mine are bonded to me in their own way. They are more intelligent than a lot of people think. I love this. Great stuff.

• Ginny says:

Awesome. Kitty is one clever cat. I love that they are doing this. Our cat, started out a little red devil, Loosefur, loves to sit on shoulders too (he’s big now) – we think he was a parrot in his previous life! Feel free to go visit http://dogsblog.blog.com if you want to see what a South African dog (and Loosey too on occasions) get up to. The blog is written from Fudge (our SPCA special’s perspective)

• Arthur says:

Thanks for posting this story and the update.

My cat would love to be allowed to go every place I go. I plan on including her on any extended travels. Through sites like yours, I've learned that there are plenty of places around the world that are willing to welcome travelers and their pets.

My girl is also a rescued cat. She came from a feral litter and was rejected by the mom because of an upper respiratory infection. It just worked out that when I was helping a neighbor clean out an area behind a shed, I found her. She was almost completely hidden by leaves and dirt, but fortunately I noticed something before I stepped there. Poor thing fit in the palm of my hand. She couldn't see, was too weak to stand and fleas were draining what little life she had left. It took days of a few drops of formula every hour before she started gaining strength and was able to eat more. Now, a year later, she's healthy and a great little friend.

• Paul a Villeneuve says:

Bon voyage et Bonne chance a vous trois Bravo PAV du Canada

• mistery girl says:

all these cats r soooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they should all run wild! jk

• Mary Lee Fisher says:

I am a catluver . . . so, I really enjoyed this article & video! MLF -St. Petersburg, FL

• Carole says:

What an adorable kitty, and how fortunate the three of you are to be on such a wonderful adventure together! I have two wonderful cats that I love with all my heart. Please post updates on your trip, and let us know how Kitty is doing.

• Jeanne says:

I love this Kitty! We have a Siamese who loves to ride on you shoulders. Good luck. Stay safe.

• pk says:

Awesome.

NOT advisable with all cats. But they aren’t as standoffish as most folks think.

If you work hard at bonding with them they can become almost as responsive as dogs.

I had a pair that I could take on walks with me and they would stay right with me and hang out.

Again NOT advisable with all cats. And certainly if you have indoor cats you can’t just open the door – they have no idea what to do and yes freak out. Just keep them as they are – indoors.

This is great though – what a wonderful couple and a wonderful life for Kitty!

How many woman want to marry that guy right now! lol!

• Ruth Hill says:

Kitty is a replica of my Miss Kitty. Kitty even has a big bushy tail like my Miss Kitty. I live alone so she is my constant companion. I do not know what I would do without her. LOVE KITTIES!

• Christine Evans says:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and introducing Kitty to the rest of the world. What an amazing journey for the 3 of you I'm sure you will never forget. For Kitty her bond withyou guys is incredible she just knows what to do and what her routine is. She very much reminds me of my little Tinker who is now 12 months old. I so enjoyed watching your video it give you such a great feeling inside watching her enjoying her journey with her mummy and daddy…..thank you for taking her on board and saving her….you are both wonderful :) Be safe!

• Joan Owen says:

I found 3 kittens in a barn who's mother had been killed by a car. they were 2 weeks old. Luckily I was able to find homes for 2 and kept the third. Quickly,My small 3 legged shitsu decided to be his mum I did the feeding and she did the rest, carrying him everywhere by the scruff of the neck. Then as he grew heavier she dragged him (which he delighted in (with all 4's in the air ).Ralph grew up part dog, part human,and part cat – a very loving cat who insisted on accompanying us (I have 3 dogs) through the bush etc.Unfortunately the fate of his mother became his. I miss him so.

• Bjo says:

Truly wonderful to be even a small part of this by reading these adventures! Hope they are OK and we hear more about their travels soon. — Bjo

• All American Mom says:

Wonderful cat story! Our 2 yr old cat is named Kitty, too, & she likes to perch on my shoulder like a parrot, wanting to watch the things I'm doing, especially in the kitchen & fridge. She can leap up with barely touching me, but usually checks out the clothing I'm wearing to see if it is strong enough to support climbing. We say she is part parrot and dog, since she has to be near us at all times. Since she was abondoned and found outside as a baby before we adopted her, she is deathly afraid of the outdoors, so if you try to go outside with her on your shoulders, she jumps down. Mostly she is gentle, but has been known to get "frisky" when she is playful on my shoulders & plays rough & can scratch a bit!

• kittylover says:

Beautiful kitty. Keep eyes on kitty at the end. Love your story. Have a safe trip!

• bbshapiro says:

I have a sad story, talking about an outdoor cat. I live in a high-rise apt. on the 17th floor. My cat Puciwoo was always curious and very adventurous – she loved laying in the sun on the balcony and every now and then climbed up on the railings, she seemed very agile and competent and tried stop her however, I couldn't deprive her from getting a high like in bunji jumping – I actually had the fear of her falling but didn't listen to my inner voice. I regret it and mourn her fall every day. I would like to let it be a "lesson" or a warning to anyone that loves their animal don't be to generous when it comes to the safety of yr beloved animal – play safe!!

• Helen says:

Our Minouche was found, a tiny handful, huddled in a car engine in the pouring rain. She was brought to us and my husband bottle-fed her. Now 13, she still regard him as her "Mummy", sucks at his pullover, sleeps on top of his head in our bed (!) and follows him on walks with our dog.

Guillaume et Laetitia – Bon courage et Bonne continuation. Je vous aime.

• Kathy says:

What a wonderful story, it warms the heart to think there are such kind people out there and animals that always amaze us.

• Natalie says:

As wonderful as this story may seem, there should always be a concern for the cat's safety. Cats are easily sppoked by the most unexpected things; a harness of some sort would definitely be advisable at all times. Having read some of the comments, people learn the hard way, regretting their choices and not listening to their little inner voices…why not listen to advice from those who have had bad experiences and to those who know cat behavior? We live in anothjer world now, cats need to be kept safely indoors and not allowed to roam indiscriminately – cars are #1 offenders, and nasty people live everywhere, not to mention wildlife, which cannot be blamed beacsue it's their nature to go after smaller prey. I wish them good luck and safe-keeping of their kitty!

• anna says:

I'm from Australia and seeing Kitty n her Parents was just wonderful and made my day. Whenever you get to Melbourne, I'ad love to introduce you to my Dixie n Bella.

Stay well and be safe.

Anna

• anna2 says:

hi, Guillaume can't seem to have a link on facebook for 'add as friend' and neither for 'send message'. his profile is also quite restricted to those who aren't his friends.

• Linda says:

Sweet!

• Angie says:

Very very special stuff. Truly touched my heart. Thank you for sharing.

• Lisa says:

awesome! i love all cats

• OMBrown says:

Absolutly darling. I am so happy that they rescued this kitty!

• Pat Chainey says:

Best wishes – hope Kitty is allowed to go around the world, safely.

Over my lifetime i have had 7 cats and all very loved – dont think they will be all. More on way.

Take care….Pat

• Cheryl says:

What a wonderful story! Cats are so marvelous!

• sassi says:

Love the backpacking kitty–aren't cats amazing?!

• Alan says:

What a wonderful story! Should remind us all that pets are more than just that, they are wonderful companions and friends. Best of luck, Kitty.

• Very beautiful article. :)

Thank you my friends.

All is Ok, Kitty is big now, we are in colombia, i try to make some money to continue this fabulous walk with Kitty.

Aso, I shearch a new webmaster for update my website because my webmaster are too much busy, if you know somebody he can send me a mail. :)

A book are soon availaible in USA, the story about Kitty on this link.

Kiss from Kitty and me.

Keep the contact.

GK

GK

• Anne says:

What a great story. I'm glad Kitty found the two of you. I have had four cats find me and their forever himes either because they had been abandoned or were at the Humane Society. I'm glad you two have given Kitty her forever home.

• Kathy says:

I think that you both are really special we have three and I know what you mean about how awesome they are keep up all that you are doing and God Bless all three of you.Give Kitty a kiss from the Probst family in Pennsylvania.

• julie says:

Absolutely wonderful story,Kitty is adorable,hope you get to go all over the world.Happy hiking and safe trip, give a kiss to Kitty from me and Gemma ( my cat)

• June 9. 2010 says:

I love Kitty, I just got a kitty from a family

that took in a litter,that the mommy left at

their house. He is 2 mos., and so lovable and

smart I named him Mr. T, for trouble. He is

strictly indoor also, I hate the way people

leave their precious cats run and give them

no love. We can see Kitty is really loved!!!

Cricket

• Char says:

Cats are wonderful, loving little creatures. I love that they seem to know what you are saying to them and respond with their quizzical looks, as if asking wheather you really meant that!! They are good and special little companions. I can see that Kitty fits my description (actually, they describe my own, Birdie and Putter).

• Janet says:

This is too cool – makes me want to go hiking with all 6 cats I have – now that would be a site

• Kat says:

Beautiful, heart warming story. Good luck.

• tori says:

Soooo, sweet! I hope you got a leash and a harness, so your kitty will be able to walk with you.

• southoc says:

Love it!

• Tilly says:

Congratulations to Kitty's Mum & Dad……your story is heart warming……Good Luck with your video venture….keep us all posted……

• Maggie says:

Totally awesome! Thank you so much for rescueing Kitty and making her a part of your family and your walking tour. And thank you for sharing with all of us out here in web-land!

God bless to all of you.

• Julie B. says:

Lucky cat getting to travel! No gas bii,no paw pain. Must feel like one big elephant ride. Must be wonderfully purrfect, unfurrgetable,quite amewsing. Paws Up!

• Aimster says:

So awesome! Such a special and beautiful cat!!! Please keep the photos coming–I will definitely be watching!!!

• Kylee says:

The Kitty looks so content loved watching the video; you are all lucky to have one another. Take care and happy travelling!!

• gemma says:

oh he is so cute i wish i could carry my cc(name of my cat )as he weight a ton but very loveable good luck to the 3 of u

• Sheree says:

This is so cool – Fantastic that Kitty was saved and so obviously part of the family.

• Julie says:

Greetings from South Africa! This is SUCH a lovely story – please keep us updated as you travel.

I love cats, but my little Maltese dog, Lacey, says: "No cats in MY yard!" However, my one daughter has tow beautiful Siamese cats, Candy and Mitzi – absolutely adorable.

All the best – have a safe journey!

• Sharon says:

Hello from Wanaka in New Zealand.

I love the story about your adventure and Kitty. I have rescued lots of cats around our property and managed to de-sex 60 cats and home 67 kittens over the past few years. It is wonderful to see the bond Kitty has with you and not just with a place but people.

Cats are fascinating animals and obviously Kitty loves you very much. A heart warming wonderful story. Good luck with your adventures.

• Della says:

Sharon ,You are so fabulous taking the effort and care to spay

and neuter all those cats and finding homes. So many people don't want to bother actively doing something to help. The cats live

such a healthier life, ferals can really flourish physically when

relieved from the stress of constantly reproducing. Also so many of the kittens that end up in misery .

I am very active trapping spaying, etc . It is so rewarding and makes such a difference in the world. I really appreciate you.

Della in Northern Calif.

• bel says:

The amazing travelling kitty!!! Maybe she will become the most widely travelled cat & set some kind of a new record?

I am glad her hoomans gave her love & umbrella – very thoughtful!!! Approve :)

• Sylvia says: