Ulysses the Feral Cat Found Haven

cute black rescued cat

Ulysses being cute

Written by ©Linda Hill.

“Ulysses” is the name I gave my black rescue because of the trials he had been through, separated from his home and family by having, probably, been thrown away at the side of the freeway and having to keep himself alive amid constant dangers of freeway traffic, extreme weather, no food or water, and predators, such as dogs, coyotes, and hawks. (The legendary hero, Ulysses, faced 20 years of trials and attacks and danger trying to get back home to Ithaca from the Trojan War. I figured this kitty had been through just about as much.) The veterinarian thought he was about two years old and had likely survived on his own for that long.

I saw him on the side of the freeway at dusk on March 1, 2009 when I was traveling home from California visiting my mother. He was on a grassy spot on an exit-ramp cloverleaf, apparently hunting for his supper. This was in a rural area, with no houses nearby at all. I turned around at the next exit and returned to him; he was still there, but when he heard my car door open, he ran. I saw the direction he went, and prowled around to find him, but couldn’t find him…of course, he knew all the hiding spots, and they had to be good ones for his survival. I walked around and peeked into bushes and trees,, with no luck, and dashed across the overpass to another leaf of the clover and searched there, but I didn’t find him. I got back into the car –it was cold and windy– and was about to give up and drive away when I thought See here, he can’t have gotten far, so go look again. I walked to the top of a steep hill in the direction it seemed he had first run to, and peered over the side, and there he was, at the bottom, just peeking up out of a hole in the ground; I think he figured I had gone and it was safe to come out. I didn’t imagine I could get near him, but I did realize that I had found his home: a hole in the frozen ground, about two feet from the edge of the freeway.

cute black rescued cat

Gorgeous!

I continued home, about 75 miles, and the next day got out my live trap and resolved to go back to try to capture him. I couldn’t bear to leave him there in that dangerous place alone. I beamed thoughts to him, Stay out of the road, stay safe, and I will come to get you. I bought some cans of tuna and drove back to his cloverleaf and set the trap just outside his hole, and covered the sides and top with brush and debris. It was cold and windy. I went to the public library in the nearby town, about three or four miles south across a large river, and spent the day browsing, reading, and people-watching, grateful to have a warm place to spend time; I returned to the trap every few hours, and by sunset I had not caught him. Instead, the tuna was gone but the trigger was not sprung. I thought I had set the trap properly, but it is possible that I didn’t, and that he just walked in and ate the food and left. But it is also possible that the trap was set properly and he was just careful enough to get the food and not spring the trap. I drove home and came back the next day with more tuna, set the trap in the same spot, covered it with brush and debris, and went to the public library; as before, I returned every few hours, and by sundown I had not caught him…again. The food was gone and the trap had not been sprung. So I went home and came back the next day with more tuna, set the trap in the same place, covered it with brush and debris, and went to the public library; I returned every few hours, and at sundown I found him in the trap!! Hallelujah! I talked to him and told him it was going to be all right. We drove home.

cute rescued black cat stretching

Weeee!

The next day I telephoned my veterinarian to say I had rescued a feral cat and would they be able to examine it to see if it is a lactating female, for it if was, then I needed to return to the hole to look for kittens. The vet’s receptionist –get this, where I had been going for 20 years– said they had an opening for an appointment five days later but nothing earlier, and I said But any kittens will be dead by then, and they said Do you want that appointment or not? I said no, and telephoned a new veterinarian in town to whom I had never been. They said, Come right over! So I went, and learned that he is a boy, so we anticipated no kittens back in the hole. It was during that examination that the kitty broke loose from the people holding him and ran around the clinic in a panic, found the exhaust vent pipe and climbed up into it, headed for the roof. Fortunately, one of the veterinary assistants acted fast and reached up into the pipe in time to grab his tail before he got beyond reach. The doctor said that they usually don’t give a cat the whole new-cat treatment all at once, that is, neutering, deworming, Feline Leukemia test, and four or five vaccinations, and eye medicine to take home, but the veterinarian said that it was so traumatic for him, being handled, that we should do the whole works at once and not put him through the stress of coming back for more again later. So we did. At one point the doctor said You know, you might never succeed in taming this cat.

cute rescued black cat

Stretchhhhhhh

Ulysses came home. He was thin –weighed 6 pounds– his fur was dry, rough, wiry, and thick, and he was very scared. He stayed in a kennel box, about 2 feet by 3 feet or so, in the living room. for about three weeks, so he could see and hear the rest of the family and learn that there would always be food and water and a clean litter box for him. When I finally opened the door to let him come out of the box if he wanted, he didn’t. I forget how long it was, but he did eventually come out. He felt the safest place was behind the toilet in the upstair bathroom, though he was perhaps also attracted there because of a large radiator, so it was very warm there. He snuggled up next to the radiator, in the corner, beside the toilet. I brought him food and water and talked with him and sometimes closed the door to the room so he could have privacy and feel safe. We went on that way for a while. He eventually let me pick him up and talk to him and pet him, but he was still quite unsure whether he was safe or not. It took a long, long time. He slowly met and made friends with the rest of the family, and I think they helped him; he could see that they were confident of their safety and were happy to share their food and water and litter boxes with him. I don’t recall any fights. You asked how we managed to tame him, and I think it was by his observing the household routines and the other cats’ calmness and having food and water and litter box. He ran from me for months, as I recall, not letting me get close, not willing to trust me nearby when he ate. I could only touch him when he was behind the toilet, and then only because there was no escape, I suppose. It took a long time. But there was constant, slow progress. And he made friends with other cats in the family and took cues from them. I think that helped him a lot.

cute rescued black cat

Ulysses relaxing and enjoying the day

It’s been a year and a half, and Ulysses has shown us what a sweet, loving creature he is. He is now 13 pounds, sleek, soft, and gorgeous. Curious about everything. Loves to be part of whatever is going on, especially in the kitchen! Loves being held and petted and told how wonderful he is. Loves meeting and flirting with human friends. Likes going outdoors into the enclosed cat pen to snooze in the sun with other family members. He loves to wrestle with the next-youngest family member; they play kitty games and chase each other endlessly around the house and curl up together for naps.

Ulysses is very, very smart, to have survived as he did in that terrible place. The veterinarian said in that first examination that he was in remarkably good condition for having lived where he was living for as long as he had. I am so grateful that he came to live with us, and that he kept himself safe and well in those horrible circumstances until I could rescue him. I thank him every day for going out hunting when he did that afternoon of March 1st so I could see him when I did, and for going into that live trap and thereby giving me the chance to give him a better life than he had. I love him very much.

Photos courtesy of Tsutomu (flickr: Wabisabi2015).

cute rescued black cat

cute rescued black cat

Ulysses napping with a watermelon

cute rescued black cat

Curious little one

cute rescued black cat

Supervising the room

cute rescued black cat

"This is my box! You can't have it!"

cute rescued black cat

cute rescued black cat

Adorable tail

cute rescued black cat

cute rescued cat black

"Surprise!"

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

184 Responses to “Ulysses the Feral Cat Found Haven”

1. Lashantina says:

You are a VERY patient person and obviously have your calling in life. I admire you for that.

2. Rose says:

this is so sweet and wonderful….thank God for good people and animals !!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. This made me teary and smile at the same time. Its good to hear how other people go out of their way for animals in need. You are a hero.

I love this cat, He looks exactly like my NeeChee.

• Linda says:

Debbie, thanks for your comment. How did you find Nee Chee? How old is he? Are there photos of him on the Web? I'd love to see him.

• Loizos Kyriacou says:

Love him !!! Deja vu. I also took in an exactly identical looking cat that someone had abandoned as a kitty and raised him. Black, huge, dominant, magnificent… Lived with us, but was always a street cat, more than once he left and would return after a month, last time he never did… At least we see more black cats now in the neighborhood. Pls look me up on facebook, (i am the one with the baby horse), i’d love to send you some pictures of him…

• Nani says:

I got teary smile too :) This is absolutely an amazing story.

4. Joanne says:

What an amazing story! What a gorgeous cat! Thank you so much for having the patience to save this kitty and let his true self come out!

5. siew eng says:

he really is gorgeous. thank you for persevering in your efforts to save him. now see how handsome your reward is!

6. AG says:

great story

7. Xaidiz says:

@Linda, May god bless you for what you have done for this cat. May he brings prosperity and good fortune to you. <3 Cats.

8. Barb says:

What a great story. Thanks for being so determined. Ulysses is definitely one happy cat now.

9. Amber says:

I'm so glad that you saw him that day, and that your persistence paid off as it did. Ulysses is a beautiful boy, and he has such a wonderful mom who was willing to go to any length to save him and give him a fur-ever home!

10. Chelsea says:

I rescued my 2 year old black cat, Darby, from a bush along highway 7 in WA. He is so smart and clever. We recently got a second cat from a shelter and Darby became fast friends with him. This story reminds me of my time with my little man Darby. Thank you for giving your heart to this little guy! He deserves it! And you deserve so much praise!

• Linda says:

Chelsea, thank you for your comment. Have you thought of writing Darby's story and sending it to LoveMeow to be posted on the site? I'd love to hear it. How is he? Are there photos of him on the Web? I'd love to see him. Thank you for rescuing him. How old is he now? Who is his shelter-cat brother? Do you know his story?

• Chelsea says:

I have thought about sharing Darby's story, but, sadly, I don't have any great photos of him. He's a long-haired black cat and he's not so keen on socializing all the time. He's a great guy–very smart and inquisitive. He's also a great big brother to our new kitty Plato. Plato was born in a barn in Airdrie, Alberta (I now live in Calgary) on March 11, 2010 and was the last of the 4 kittens in the litter to be adopted because he's black. He's so playful and sweet, too! He'll start purring even before you touch him. Darby is 2 years old now. Plato is still a baby at 8 months. I love both of my boys. A lot of people think it's weird that both of my cats are black, but I just love them so much. They both bring me so much joy :)

11. Starla says:

That is a wonderful story and thank you for saving him. He is beautiful!

12. Kathy D says:

He's absolutely beautiful….what a fabulous story…your determination is admirable…

13. Kathy says:

It is so wonderful that you and Ulysses found each other and were patient enough to become family. How do you get such beautiful pictures of a black cat? It must be your patience again. I am inspired to practice patience and photography on my black cat.

• Linda says:

Kathy, write to Wabisabi at Flickr –these are his photos of Uly– about how to photograph a black cat. He says it is definitely a challenge. There's a link to his Flickr page at the end of the story, above. I forget if Flickr allows you to just write a message to someone or not, but you can open any photo and leave a Comment on it, and he will get it. He says the difficulty is that the camera's sensors, reading the cat's color, think it is nighttime! and so the photo ends up overexposed. So you have to shoot in Manual mode, and adjust the exposure. I'm sure he'd love to correspond with you about it if you want. And while you are on his Flickr page, you'll find more photos of Uly in the collection Animals, then Petsitting, then Yuriwaka, if you want.

14. Marilyn says:

Wonderful story and a very, very sweet cat!

15. curator says:

This is such a very wonderful story, and the photos – ah, even more. Happy Halloween to you and Ulysses, and happy days forever more.

16. Parihan says:

Oh this is an awesome story you r soo great and mercy person i know this feeling cuz i live my life me and my mother to feed and rescue animals.

17. Dianne Jones says:

What a lovely story thank God you did'nt give up, what a beautiful cat he is,

18. Beverly says:

God Bless you for your determination to save this precious baby!!! He is just beautiful!!! I am so thankful for people like you with such an abundant love of cats… you are a true HERO!!!!!!! Many blessings upon your house and your furry babies!!!

19. Carol says:

What a wonderful story – a patient, determined human and a wild, beautiful, frightened cat who turned into a gorgeous loving animal! We all know the magic in a black cat!

• Amen and Blessed Be! black cats are beautiful! my Luna is on my Facebook page she’s 4 years old now and I can’t imagine my life without her! I also have been volunteering at an animal shelter in Oregon for 6 years and have a tendency to favor the black cats! Right now, Luna has to have medication due to her mouth infection,but I’m doing the best I can to get her healthy again

20. Laura says:

We had a feral in our backyard. She did have kittens and we tamed the kittens and did a TNR on her. She lived in our backyard for a while, then decided inside was great and moved in. She's the biggest lap cat we have.

A lot of people told us that you could never tame a feral adult, but we just gave her a safe, warm place with friendly humans. Eventually she figured out warm laps and pets were pretty good.

Those ferals are very special.

• Linda says:

Laura, thank you for your comment. Bless you for saving the momma kitty and her babies. I agree that feral cats are tame cats just waiting for the opportunity. They behave as they do in the wild because they have to. What is momma kitty's name? Do you still have her? Are there photos of her on the web? I'd love to see her. Have you thought of writing her story for the LoveMeow site? I'd love to read it.

21. janine says:

so adorable

22. Norm says:

What a great story and what a handsome Cat he is. Thank you.

23. Tricia says:

What a wonderful story. Thank you for saving this sweet cat and giving him the such a loving home.

24. Ellie says:

Ur amazing patience and effort is astonishing. Ulysses found his gardian angel and I could not be happier that he found a loving home.

25. Vera Nathália says:

Oh God! Black one!

26. Brian says:

That is such and wonderful story, it was just meant to be!

27. sea says:

Touching and beautiful story! I'm so happy for Ulysses, he is a stunning cat and you are an extraordinary person. Thank you.

28. sara says:

May God bless you always for been so kind and patient. For not giving up on him. For going back until you were able to trap him. Thanks and thanks!!!! You are a beautiful human being, I wish the world is full of people like you. A lil angel found by another angel =)

29. Caroline says:

I'm completely waterworks after reading this. Ulysses is very glad to have you, and the world is a better, more bearable place with people like you in it. I hope to find work soon so I can move out and have my own place to rescue/foster and vet the cats I see wondering around hurt, homeless, afraid. You are truly an inspiration.

• Linda says:

Caroline, thank you for your comment, and for your wanting to help abandoned animals. I feel sure that you will have the resources and the opportunity to do that. Bless you for feeling as you do. You can make a difference.

30. andy says:

wow!! you are admirable to be able to exude such great patience and love for the cat.. ulysses is very fortunate to have found a forever home in you.

31. Bonnie Buckmaster says:

He is such a beautiful cat. The way you introduced him into your home in a cage, then open is how i introduce cats here to. We have 3 cats, 2 dogs and a rabbit and i think the safety of a cage is the best way to go, letting them leave when THEY fel ready.

• Linda says:

Bonnie, thank you for your comment. And thank you for rescuing the cats in your family. I agree that the kennel-box works well. They feel safe, feeling that they have only to defend that much space, and soon they realize that others cannot get in, and so that space is theirs. They don't have to fight for food and water, or watch their back all the time. They can experience you as a provider of food and water, not as an aggressor, and can watch you from that safe place. Even so, it can take quite a long time, depending on their previous experience, huh? Have you thought of writing the stories of your rescued cats for LoveMeow? I'm sure others would love to learn their stories.

32. I haven't cried to much in a long time. God Bless you for the person you are to have reached out to the extent you did and never gave up to give this innocent animal a safehouse in your loving care. You are a wonderful writer and if only there were more people like you! Somehow Ulysses had the faith and hope to survive until you found him. Somehow he was the right cat at the right place, and at the right time to find just the person who would love him as he so desparately needed. He's a beautiful cat with a beautiful human being as a parent. Bravo! God Bless you!!

• Linda says:

Karen, thank you for your beautiful sentiments. Yes, Uly was an innocent victim of someone's selfishness and thoughtlessness. I think he suffered a lot. How brave he was, and what it must have taken to survive as he did. I often try to imagine what it must have been like, living in that hole in the ground. He is now much loved and is a joy every day. I love seeing how healthy and happy he is, how much he enjoys what he now has: a warm, safe home, playmates, family, and loving friends, feline and human.

33. Karol Ling says:

Omg thats one gorgeous kitty. I admire your patience, the world desperately need more like you

34. Marilia says:

Own, a gorgeous black vampire!!!! Love!

35. Jan says:

Linda, I am crying HAPPY tears after reading this! Ulysses and you are both so fortunate that you found each other … he is such a beautiful kitty and you are absolutely awesome for all you went through to make him a part of your famiily! And so many kudos to the new vet that agreed to take care of him right away when the other vet wouldn't!

(((Hugs))) from myself and my three Meezer babies!

36. jennifer says:

i love the pics. thanks for sharing. :)

37. Zoesma says:

Such and handsome and smart boy. You are both lucky to have each other.

38. Alex says:

You are truly great.

39. theresa says:

He is beautiful-i rescued a mom cat and her 4 feral kittens 2 were black and the sweetest of the 4 -made me appreciate black cats and you are so lucky to have found him -so glad he is inside and safe now!

• Linda says:

Theresa, bless you for rescuing the momma cat and her four kittens. You found, as I did, that they become wonderful, loving pets. And it makes you so happy to see them thrive. Do you still have them?

40. Kristoffer says:

Wonderful story! Ulysses is lucky to have found such a wonderful family to live with now… and I know Linda and her family feel the same way about Ulysses. He looks so at ease and content in the pictures. Again, makes me so happy to know that there are so many wonderful people that can't just drive or walk by a stray.

41. LeCrosse says:

A really beautiful story. People who do these thing are the very best kind in my opinion! Ulysses is a lucky boy, and so gorgeous! *tears of joy for a happy story*

42. sandie ;) says:

What a great story & a beautiful kitty!

43. Iffat says:

This story brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet, beautiful boy. I love his fangs! I know that Ulysses & all Cat Lovers like myself are very grateful for your persistence in rescuing him.

44. Danie says:

Lovely cat AND what a lovely person for saving his life.

45. Dee says:

Everyday there's news about the horrible acts of humans against animals. It makes me ashamed to be a part of the human race. And then I read a story like Uly's & know that there are good hearted humans that know how to respect & love animals. I'm so thankful for wonderful examples such as you. Thank you for your patience & for the love in your heart. I wish there were more people like you.

46. rosana says:

Once I was driving going from the town where I live to go to the Mall at another town, when I went by the rotary I saw a black cat sitting by the bushes in the middle of the rotery, I didn't stop because it was so busy and if I did so, he would have probably gotten scared and run towards the street and gotten killed, but all the time I go by there I look into the bushes and think of him. God bless you with a long healthy life full of happiness and joy together with your kitties!

47. Ingrid says:

What a great story and a lucky baby!

48. Lexie says:

Those snaggle teeth are killing me! Adorable! I love black cats, they look like tiny jaguars.

49. Sylvia says:

What a clever cat!

50. Cat's Cats says:

What a great story and what a beautiful boy Ulysses is!!! He just looks like a sleek, plush black panther :-)

51. Michelle says:

He's a parlor panther! I have a black cat too-they are beautiful. I love black cats.xx

I'm glad yours found a nice person who loves him!

52. Jasmine says:

This guy reminds me of mine, he looks just like him… I can't believe someone would dump such a beautiful creature.. I love my black cat Darien! I am so happy you found him and was able to give him a happy, loving and healthy home!

53. KellyAnne says:

Love the vampire fangs. Aren't black cats the most instinctively elegant animals? I have a petite black kitten, and she's the best.

54. Jaime says:

Very beautiful cat, love the pictures! I also have a black cat, they're very unique!

55. TaRzAn says:

WOW!!! What a story and im glad it had a happy ending he was very lucky…my eyes got alil watery when i read this.. i love him and i dont even know him…lol good luck and god bless!! he is a veryyyyy lucky cat!!!

56. Joshua says:

Ulysses looks almost exactly like my cat, Bigguns, who was a rescue cat (my Bigguns though has a white triangle on his chest). I used to live in upstate New York, and during a particularly harsh weather pattern (snow and below 0 degrees). He wasn't feral, but he was emaciated. He came right up to me, trotting through the snow, and he let me pick him up, as soon as he hit my chest he nuzzled up into me. Bigguns was 7 pounds, and two years old.

Now he's a happy, 3 1/2 year old, 13 pound, love machine.

It's good to know that people like you, doing what you did to save him, exist. From all the feral cats in the world: "Thanks for caring."

57. Nadine says:

He is adorable – just looks like my Blackkie, another black panther he is absolutely adorable. Cats do have personality. I dont care what anyone says.

58. Nuria says:

He is simply stunning. I have two black cats of my own and I just adore them. You are a wonderful person for not turning away and helping him. One of my cats is a former semi-feral stray. It took me a good 6 months of keeping her in the kitchen before she was ready to explore the rest of the house and roommates. People think animals are dumb, but they are quite smart, but we know that right? My girl learned quite a lot from watching her housemates as well.

59. Anne says:

Amazing story. I have one domestic and rescued two ferals and we are all one happy family. The girls are still shy of other humans but I never had so much love as I get from them. It is true that patience and love is all they need.

60. pennie says:

I am in awe at your patience and persistence! You GO, Girl!

61. Paula says:

OMG!!! I love this story!! What a wonderful, selfless act you did to save this poor little stinker from death and misery. He is one lucky cat and you are one lucky person to have each other. My heart is filled with love for both of you!!! Thank yuou for being a kind, compassionate person!! ♥

62. Darla says:

I loved your story and thank you for your determination to make a difference! I wish the world was full of more people like you! May God bless you always for your efforts and love towards His creation!!!

63. Kathy says:

What a wonderful story. I'm so glad that you took the time to trap this boy. Yay!

64. Wendy M. says:

I LOVED reading the story of Ulysses and the incredible rescue you performed. You really are an angel for persisting until he was safe–what great pics. Thanks for the tips on photographing black cats. This was a match made in heaven!

65. Christina Callas says:

I believe God puts certain people in charge of the animals and your one of them. I am too and you can"t change the animal loving heart you have. I am so happy you went back to catch the beautiful black Kitty. Rescuing a Kitty and saving it's life is one of the greatest joys. I also trap feral cat communitys and have had great success taming them, getting their shots, getting them fixed and finding homes for them. There was a beautiful Tortise shell cat living at a gas station. I had to save her. I spent a year going down there day and night

and then one day after Church I told God please let me have her. I was feeding her dry food and she let me pet her, then I realized

I could pick her up. I did and there was no fight. I put her in my car and she rode on the dashboard right in front of me. She was so tame when I got home and she is such a love. I thank God every day . Now that makes six rescued.I think they know you saved their lives and love you more. Christina a true cat lover like you

66. Natalie says:

What a beautiful story, this just made my day!! Thank God for wonderful people like you :) Ullyses is a gorgeous boy and so lucky.

67. Roberta says:

Greay story! He looks like my Shadow. She is very shy and I rescued her and her siseras kittens. Unfortunaltely her sister is no longer with us as she got hit by a car. They were inseperable and she really was her sisters shadow. Luckily not that rainy night so long ago now.Shadow is not seen by many still but comes for lovin when she needs it. I also hsve five others with stories for each and their jaded pasts. We are special people and they are oh so special felines!What a combination!

68. Claudia in Adelaide says:

AWESOME story and beautifully captivating photos. Thank you so much for posting this for all of us to read. One of my first kitties as a young child was a beautiful black cat. My mum named him "sweetie pie" but my younger sister could not say that name and called him "feetie pie"…and that name stuck. He was gorgeous and loving and clever like your Uly. I never could understand all the fuss about black cats. They are so special..like any other kitty. :)

69. eleanor cox says:

What a wonderful story! I have seen so many feral cats where I live and always wish I could help them. I do leave out food and everytime they see me or any human… they run. It breaks my heart to know that they associate us with danger. congrats to you for saving one of these beautiful creatures!

70. Demitria says:

Congratulations to Ulysses AND you…what a joy your story and pictures are!

He looks very much like our adored feral rescue Boris and it also sounds like he shares the same sweet, gentle disposition. Thank you so for sharing!

71. Catherine McBrien says:

Fabulous story. What a saint you are for showing such dedication and perseverance in rescuing such a gorgeous boy. My husband and i rescued three starving kittens when he happened to look out the car window on a country road and saw a tiny kitten in the bushes by the side of the road. The guy driving the car did not want to stop the car and said the kitten would be "better off" where it was. My husband and I drove back to the area but couldn't find the exact spot where he saw the kitten. We then drove the car a few feet, searched, and kept going like that until we say a super tiny starving kitten coming out on the road towards us, with an equally emaciated sibling behind her. We then found a third kitten who was literally a day away from starving. They had almost no hair on their bodies and zero hair on their tails. They have been wonderful cats and I am so thankful my husband just happened to look out the window at the right moment. Ulysses, you are a beautiful, incredibly lucky boy!

72. Corinne says:

What a wonderful and heart warming story! Ulysses is a handsome fellow and it looks as if his personality has blossomed in your loving home. I have helped socialize hundreds of 'feral' cats, including two of my own fur babies. While I do not advocate removing cats from cat communities to tame them, I do believe that if a 'feral' cat is living in danger or is rescued, it may take time, but they can be socialized. Thank you for caring and working with Ulysses!

73. Ellie says:

Omg I love the first photo with his fangs sticking out like a basement/vampire cat! Soooo funny.

74. Demitria says:

It is very hard to describe what bringing home a feral kitten and acclimating it into domestic life is like..you have done a brilliant job here, BRAVO!!!

We are blessed with a jet black feral rescue named Boris…THREE years after he came into our lives as a tiny, terrified and injured kitten he has accepted us and reaches out for contact and affection.

I can't imagine ANYTHING as rewarding as having made such a difference in the life of a helpless, frightened creature's life.

75. Nancy Nickle says:

I would call you Wonder Woman for all you went through to catch Ulysses! He is a beautiful black cat. I have a feral black cat that I caught 11 years ago along with his sister. His name is Merlyn. We are very connected to each other's soul. I think that we have shared other life times together.

Thanks for sharing your story!

76. Rebecca says:

I love this story, and Ulysses is so beautiful! I really like the way the tips of his little fangs hang out of his mouth – I find that just adorable.

This story reminds me of a feral cat we tamed and named Cassius. He turned into such a sweetheart. Before he decided to come inside, I purposely interacted with my other cat Heidi a lot in front of him, so he could see me feeding her, playing with her and holding her, and that her life was full of pleasant things and she was not scared. I believe it worked. After he came to live inside with us, for a long time I noticed him looking to Heidi as a role model. Anything strange or new scared him, and since he was unused to living in a house with people, everything was strange and new. He would periodically bolt behind the stove and stay there until he calmed down (or it was feeding time again!) I saw him watching Heidi to see how she was reacting to things, and there were a few times when I saw him start to bolt, look at her sitting calmly, and change his mind.

Cassius was a very sick kitty, and after several years of putting up a good fight, he left us last year. Your story really moved me, and I'm so glad to see Ulysses enjoying the life you gave him!

77. Patricia Brown says:

He is a handsome fellow, reminds of my dear Mr. Baby, a sleek black shorthaired boy, tiny kitten stray, affectionate and intelligent. I always feel that black cats make wonderfully special and delightful cat companions.

78. sledpress says:

I can't believe your clueless original vet. Hurrah for the people at the place where you took him, who had the sense to do things quickly and on the cat's terms.

79. Sonya says:

God bless you for having the patience and courage to travel 75 miles just for a stray cat! :) It it a miracle for what has happened with Ulysses. I am very glad that he has adapted to his new forever home. I'm glad he is doing well and is making friends with the other cats. It's makes me so thankful that my cats weren't in such a terrible environment. God bless you and have a fabulous week :)

80. Jenny says:

what a wonderful story! Ulysses is beautiful. Thank you for what you did.

81. Linda says:

You went above and beyond what most people would have done to help any animal. Your Ulysses looks just like my Leonard who passed away about 1 1/2 years ago. My Leonard was a great gentleman who I greatly miss. He was one of the kittens of a young cat I rescued from an owner who was not looking after his cats properly. He was very happy to turn his pregnant cat over to me. Leonard lived a long and happy life of 16 years.

82. Debbie W says:

WOW,what beautiful cat!! And just look at those gorgeous eyes!!

83. Peggy says:

Ulysses reminds me of my Squeaky-boy kitty.

84. sandie says:

What a beautiful cat & story!

85. Jen says:

You are an "Angel" may God Bless you always

86. Erika says:

This brought tears to my eyes!God bless

87. Maria Garcia says:

What a beautiful story, god bless you for being an angel.

88. izzi says:

wow ulysses is a lucky boy to find you thank you for sharing. i did rescue in arizone for three years and have rewards from all the cats and kittens that i rescued. i recued 21 kittens and 1 mom in one day and the 2 other moms were ferral they took 4days to get in the traps. a very long 4 days but all were good and the kittens were fine all got spade and neuterd and are now in happy homes. thanks for all you do. a fellow resuer

89. Shelly Lyon says:

Lovely story! I, too have a feral rescue boy. He is the most loving cat ever, and I can't imagine life without him.

90. Su-Cake Lee says:

thanks for sharing your story with your very beloved ulysses…such a heartwarming story…what a big big big heart you have and Im so happy that you both found each other, many blessings to you always…from one who loves all cats very much! :) xxx

91. Lisa says:

I think a lot of feral cats can be tamed if given the chance. I know I have made friends with a few! This was a wonderful story and he is absolutely beautiful. You two were made for each other.

92. jule1 says:

He is a beauty. What a great story. You did such a wonderful thing, rescuing him. All that patience, driving back there. And the time and love it took to bring him around once you got him home. All worth it from the look of him in these pictures. He looks fully domesticated and happy. Bravo!

93. renelle says:

You're an amazing, and wonderful person. i know no one that would go through what you did to rescue the kitty. the world is better place just because you are in it. i just hope that you have children, as well. the world will need them.

94. Virginia says:

He's beautiful! You're wonderful for being so patient! My fiance and I just rescued a little black kitten almost a year ago. He has those four little white hairs on his chest too. We call them his chest hair! :)

95. Monica says:

What a gorgeous boy and a wonderful story. So happy that he is now loved and safe in his new home!

96. azazazaz says:

What a sweetie. I think I'm in love!

97. Jessie G says:

Oh my! That is the sweetest story. Thank you so very much for saving him- and for the story and photos. Beautiful. Thank you for being the sort of human being I wish were there in many situations – when I think of animals in pain or danger. Soulmates are often cats!

98. Nanci says:

That is one great story with such a happy ending! I think it's just wonderful how determinded you were in capturing him. It really takes alot of perserverence and patience. Look how it all paid off! What a magnificent cat! Thanks so much for sharing this story with everyone and all the wonderful picutures too!

99. Dollycat says:

Thank you so so much for saving Ulysses. He is as beautiful outside as he is in. xxoo

100. He's GORGEOUS!!! I love his name! And just look at those beautiful eyes!!!!

101. Robin says:

Kinda late to comment but what a fortunate fellow Ulysses is that you were both persistent and patient. Glad you found one another-he is a stunning cat.

102. Ellen says:

What an amazing story–a miracle, really! It's so heartwarming to see that your persistence, patience, and love paid off, and in return, you have a beautiful, sleek kitty, basking in the warmth of his special home. Blessings for all your efforts to save Ulysses; it's wonderful that you found each other.

103. David Morgan says:

We had a feral cat exactly like Ulysses. He just found us. We had to convert our greenhouse in the winter to a heated cat house. I was going away on business and he came into the house at midnight for the first time to say Goodbye. But he died that same week. Possibly a weak heart. I haven't returned to the greenhouse.

104. Patricia Brown says:

he is a fantastically gorgeous cat. Ullyses is the perfect name. you did everything right. putting your story out will help me move along with my black stray I am trying to socialize who comes to eat every night on my porch.

105. cada says:

Such a sweet story, and beautiful cat. It is wonderful to know there is such loving people in the world wanting to help cats and other animals. He looks just like my Mr Kitty who my husband and I rescued from a terrible fate also.

106. buthie says:

Very heart touching story..im crying and smile at the same time. Its wonderful to see how happy his life now. Thank you so much Linda..you are a real angel.

107. Nahga says:

OMG, look at those cute lil' fangy fangs! Vampire kittah!

His build, the shape of his face, those green eyes and the way he shows off his fangs reminds me of my Deedee. I found him when he was just a wee kitten less then a month old.I had to leave him with my other when I moved. These photos make me miss him so much.

108. Bianca Rey says:

I have this enorm passion for black cats! Really love them … not sure why!

109. Joanne says:

Love his fangs!!! a gorgeous boy!!

110. caroline says:

This is the one story on Love Meow that I keep returning to. Bookmarked and all. It is the sweetest most endearing story. Recently on Esma's FB page, a member had calously posted a video of a groupd of men dragging and throwing a friendly stray over the side of a very high building. Recently there was a article on Humane society's site about kittens being burned.

Isn't hard to imagine that we live in a world of such shard contrast? That we are all human beings but one could look at an animal and make it suffer while another would spend consecutive days trying to catch a cat to bring him to a loving home? It makes me cry. It gives me faith in basic human goodness.

I've probably posted on this story before and I will continue to post on this one. Maybe you don't think what you did is as wonderful as it is, but you can't imagine what reading your story does for me

What a tender story. Congrat. on having this gorgeous fellow. He looks like a cat from a Fairy- tale: his big green yellow eyes!.

112. RedCat430 says:

Wow, Ulysses is so beautiful! I liked Linda determination and persistence in catch him!

113. Theresa says:

He’s beautiful and very fortunate that you rescued him.

114. monica says:

Hi, I just loved this “Tail’ of your wonderful act f kindness and how Ulysses returns that love everyday. I have a special place in my heart for black kitty cats, as I have 4 myself!!! I am so glad for you both!!!

115. Portia's Mommy says:

My DLH Calico/Torbie, PORTIA, is one of a litter of 3 kittens from a feral queen.
    She has a very strong will, and a survivor’s instinct!

Don’t EVER THINK that a feral cat cannot be domesticated….With lots of love, PATIENCE, etc., they can show you what true love really is.

116. Steph says:

Well done Linda, it’s not an easy task to rescue (to begin with) and then tame a feral cat! I have 9 rescue cats, 3 of them being ferals. My eldest, Nermal, who was about 3wks old when I found her (now 3) is still not perfect but she knows where home is and will let you give her luvs every so often when she is ready. The other two are total smooches! My boy Maccas is the sweetest thing and is a real mama’s boy and my little girl Tiny chose me straight away and comes for snuggles every night! So there are 2 humans and 8 cats in bed and Nerms guards us all from the drawers!
    Bless you and Ulysses and the rest of your family. He really is a stunning boy and so glad he came around and gives you love bag! They are such wonderful creatures and I maintain that rescue cats are the best kind of pet cat. They always appreciate what you give them so much more! :)

117. Winston says:

Love those fangs

118. Dylan Block says:

Soooo cute!I wish I had a cat like that!

119. Jan says:

Just came across this, thank you for sharing. Rescue cats are the best as are the rescuers. What a beautiful cat. I will be taking in a stray cat next week that my sister has been feeding. She has dogs and the cat does not want to come in… Oh, that more people had a heart like all animal lovers.

120. Kitty Mom says:

Uly seems like a great kitty and you are a wonderful person for rescuing him. Love his fangs

121. NAN says:

Fantastic story! Ulysses is a magnificent cat and you are an extraordinary person for having helped him like that. Thanks so much for sharing the story and all the beautiful pictures!

122. Winston says:

What a sweet story!

123. CatHerder says:

thanks for this..i needed to read this today…i have a herd of my own but i am trying to socialize 2 kittens (5 mo) brother and sister who are feral, AND an adult who is EXTREMELY feral..i just have to remember, patience…it took FIVE YEARS for our mardi to trust us enough to sit in our laps. So happy for Uly! He looks like my Salem

124. Kacee says:

Wow, what a story! Thanks for sharing. Thanks to your kindness and patience, Ulysses has found a home and you got a very handsome, sweet kitty; a win-win ending :)) Loved the picture with his tail curled up at the end. My black kitty, Puma, does that too with her tail. I call her my little monkey because of that :)

125. virginia says:

What a great story, very inspiring to have the true hearts of people show, It makes me very sad to see cats on the side of the road, dead from being hit by vehicles or whatever the incident. I get very sad to know people, in ignorance, let cats outside because that is what they think they should do.
    I never understand the fact when people do let them out, they then get concerned after they haven’t seen their furry family member after a week not realizing the dangers, coyotes, highways, poisoning, and injuries from other animals.

Web pages like this has made my heart smile again.. Bravo to the hero’s and warriors for our furry family and friends.

126. Olivia says:

This is such a beautiful story :) Some people out there don’t believe ‘feral’ cats deserve any time or love but they can really learn to trust people and lead happy lives in a home. My friend has a feral cat who is a foster she has had for over a year and he is still cautious but he has started to let people pat him and he absolutely loves it! There is always hope when someone believes :) He is GORGEOUS I just looveee the photos you took of him.

127. Debbie says:

You are an Amazing person. Such a great story it really made my day. Some ppl are so mean to animals and wouldn’t have stopped. Imagine you live/drove 75 miles away and came track 3 times.. BRAVO!!! I really admire you…

128. Pearl Vongpusanachai says:

Bless you for saving the cat!

129. Mooly says:

Great story! Well done to you for all your patience and determination in taking Uly in. And well done to Uly for being a survivor. You can tell he loves his new life very much in those beautiful pictures :)

130. Wren says:

Aww sweet Uly! And so handsome! I’m glad he has a good home and a loving family. ^_^

131. dorlis says:

I just read this story and congratulate you on your patience and love for Ulysses. I have rescued 3 ferals so far and the rewards are truly great! The have all turned into the biggest lap babies ever. It does take patience and sometimes getting bit a time or 2 when you misread the signs they give, or forget to let them know you are coming so they have a chance to “escape”. But it is worth it.

132. Druscilla says:

This is an amazing story, and you’re an amazing person. Thank you for everything you do! And Ulysses, well, that’s one very very handsome and brave cat! <3

133. Marina says:

What a wonderful story! My neighbors recently caught a grown, black feral cat. It too likes to stay behind the toilet. I just emailed them this story.

134. David Clement says:

Thank god for people like you who go out of your way to help a fellow creature in need. You are an amazing person for doing this and I wish there was more people in this world like you. I rescued a stray cat with a broken leg once, its a very sad story as she had to be put to sleep. I still think about that cat alot because I would have adopted her.

David

135. herman says:

Love the story and glad you found a new veterinarian, one who helps in matters of urgency. Thank you for saving Uly. It’s an accomplishment to rescue a cat, and (sad to say) many people wouldn’t even take the time for a Black Cat.
    I’m going to check out Wabisabis’ Flicker page now.

136. Potato says:

Amazing to have such dedicated people like you. Most would have just ignored him.

137. Tina says:

I just now saw this after scrolling through posts on lovemeow. Thank you so much for the patience and love you showed this beautiful black cat. I have two black rescue cats (Coal and Smudge) who were both abandoned as kittens, and they are the most loving angels you could ever meet. Too many people would never take the time to rescue and tame a feral, especially a black one. Thank you thank you for what you did and for giving this beautiful baby a second chance at life!

138. Oreo's Mommy says:

BEAUTIFUL STORY ! ! ! There is a special place in heaven for people like you. Thank
    you for sharing Ulysses with the community.
    Wish me luck I am trying to catch a feral.
    My last feral became my baby for the last 12
    years of her life…. she looked exactly like
    Ulysses.

139. Clara says:

Reminds me of my youngest kitty, Alice. We got her at a shelter along with her brother. They were just two months old and found in a field (a volunteer adopted their 3rd sibling). Spunky (Alice’s brother) passed away from an infection. But Alice thrived. She was very wild…very skittish…took her almost a year in this house to adapt…we almost considered rehoming her to a house that is calmer (with a 3 yr old, then 2, there is no calm in this household). But I am so glad we kept saying “give her more time”. She is now huge, and so lovable! She ADORES my daughter to pieces and our oldest kitty Cocoa! They’re both Siamese mix kitties. I would not trade them for the world. I am so glad to have Alice in our lives, she is such a joy and worth every bit of socialization work we have put into her. Just because a cat is Feral does not mean socializing it is beyond reach…it just takes time (sometimes a whole lot of it!) and patience. In time, you will have a well adjusted wonderful kitty in your life, if you just give it a chance.

140. Mary says:

I am glad not to be the only one that goes to extremes to rescue animals. Thanks for taking the time to rescue this beautiful cat. See Linda, now you are been compensated for rescuing this beauty. You get to enjoy his true nature.

141. biggie55 says:

My cats are both black and were rescued. your kitty is beautiful. thank you for your love of animals

• Debra Olsen says:

:-) Biggie, fantastic that you rescued TWO black kitties. They are as wonderful as any other cat…it’s only a color. One of my three beautiful rescues is solid black & what a character she is. Wish I had room for more, but have to keep my wishes in-check lest I become a ‘hoarder’ (of cats). Keep up the good work. :-) Love, Meowwwww :-)

142. Laura C. says:

Linda,

How wonderful that you found him. If you had not found him, it’s hard to fathom what might have been his fate. He had to be just so scared and uncertain about his future. Learning to trust humans again if you’ve been mistreated or abandoned by them has to be difficult. I love all animals, but have a special spot for cats and dogs. You are both so lucky that you ended up together. Just love him and reap the rewards….someone who will love you always. We all need that.

143. Ken Winters says:

We trapped a feral cat Jul. 2011 in our neighborhood after we realized she was pregnant and ready to deliver at any time. We already have 4 indoor felines we have had for 5 years. I took her over to our vet as soon as I caught her and had her abort the kittens and had her fixed and examined and vacinated. We kept her in our 1/2 bath until Dec. 20, ’11 when we moved from Fl. to Nv. and she traveled with us in a carrier as were the others. She traveled so well as all of them did. We stopped each night. Sox as we call her now has a master bedroom and the rest of the house she can explore. She still does not allow us to touch her but she has the best time running around when I am talking to her and she is a very sweet cat and we are glad we took her in. The master bedroom is where she feels most comfortable but comes out to check out the house and runs back to the bedroom if startled. We have the patience and love for animals and that is why she has progressed so nicely. She lets us get close to her and has heer tail up in the air a lot which is a good sign. We figure she is about 3 years old and had at least 2 litters before we adopted her or she adopted us.

144. Vinny says:

What a lovely story. My eyes are a little wet. I have a dog and a cat. Some times I still feel like I am a horrible pet owner. My dog and cat love me and I try to give them as much attention, proper medical needs and premier foods (and lots of treats.) I just wish I could have done the same to my previous cat. I was a student and I didn’t know much nor I had the money. Now I am working and making money, I will make sure my babies will not suffer.

145. scooterdoodle says:

Such a beautiful story. The patience you had for Ulysses is astounding that it’s great sosee that he’s found his forever home. <3
    I have a feral cat that has been living around my yard. I really hope I can get him (at least I think it's a him) someday.

146. Debra Olsen says:

:-) I rescued a gorgeous black female from a shelter that looks exactly like Uly. Ella is beautiful & has the most velvety, glossy fur. She loves to cuddle (under the covers) & she must be the fastest thing on four legs. :-)

147. Eniko says:

It is wonderful, that theres are people like you in the world! Thanks for saving him, he is a beautiful cat, I am glad he has found an owner like you!

148. Casandraelf says:

what a fitting name for this pretty boy ^^ reminds me of my misty. she’s a black cat that my mom found at one of her old schools

149. Amanda says:

i LOVE black cats and have 3 myself :D Hes so cute!! Love those eyes and paws!!

150. Maremma says:

What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for your compassion and patience for this sweet boy!

151. steve says:

His little fangs <3
    This makes me want to rescue a feral…

152. keenpetite says:

Absolutely true! All animals deserve food, love & care. Our family has been cat rescuers, helpers & lovers for over 50 yrs. My husband was working on an abandoned house used by drunks & junkies, there was a stray cat that looked pathetic, skinny & had a broken nose. Hubby was able to catch him & Brought him home
    our son was about 6 yrs old & named him tramp.
    We fed him twice a day & had fresh water at all times, he lived in that cage but knew my husband, son & myself. Took him to vet but because of severe injuries he was euthanized soon after. At least Tramp got love & care for his last 2 weeks. He would actually purr as soon as we got close to his cage. No more suffering for my loving Tramp.That was 1979 & we continue to be rescuers, helpers & lovers of animals.
    keenpetite
    Souhteast Arizona (USA)

153. Sophie says:

OMG, I started resdind your story and I tears kept falling down my sheat, this is so amazing what you did for that cat!!! Thank you for sharing it !!! :-)

154. Emily says:

Awww… This makes me so happy. I love darling little black cats. I’m so glad he found a home. <3
    My own little black cat was a late-born stray who had been in the shelter for almost a month. I didn't mean to adopt him that day, but when I saw him, there was no way I was leaving without him.

155. Hi Amy,

Ulysses is a good name for him considering what he’s been through.

It’s really sad how people throw away their pets when they move or get tired of them.

The poor things spend a long time wondering what they did wrong or if they are no longer loved.

We adopted a cat that was found on the side of the highway. She was real sick and skittish. She required several rounds of antibiotics before she was well.

We’ve had her for a couple of years now and she’s a sweet lap cat.

Using a live trap was a great idea and I’m glad it worked.

Six pounds is really light for a male cat. He must have been mostly starved. Glad he put the weight back on and is doing well.

Thanx for helping Ulysses. That is very kind of you.

=^-^= Hairless Cat Girl =^-^=

156. Kathy C says:

We had a half grown kitten living in the woods behind our home several years ago. I would put him food out every day, sit on the ground and talk to him. It took me over a year to win his trust and be able to touch him. He started sleeping on my screened porch and evidently came inside and was great comfort to our very old sick cat. He is the most affectionate cat I have ever had, but only allows me and my husband to interact with him. If anyone comes to our home (even the cat sitter when we travel), they never see him.
    Winning his love was one of the best experiences ever.

157. Marlene says:

wow awesome stuff! Thank you for sharing.

158. Dorothy says:

Linda, you are an amazing woman, and Ulysses is an amazing cat. I see that this story is two years old and I hope you are both doing well. My regards to you both.

159. Fernanda says:

wonderful story! <3

160. Sandra L. says:

It is people like you that make me believe humanity isn’t doomed to be all violence and aggressiveness…

You are truly an angel :) Thank you for taking him in and what a gorgeous kitty he became too!
    I would stare at pictures of him all day, a lovely one for sure!

161. MissL says:

wow that’s dedication there… going back to rescue him for days. This person has a soft heart. Glad this owner was driving on the highway at the right time! It always breaks my heart when I see cats running around outside in the cold :T Lovely story :’)

162. I wish more people could read your story, because most people would either not care or they would trap the cat and take it to the pound to be euthinized because animal shelters (pounds) automatically think that feral cats cannot be tamed and must either live outside or killed. I have a houseful of use to be feral cats and a neighborhood of feral cats that most are not feral at all, not to me anyway, because they trust me. I have no more room in my house otherwise i would bring a few more in and i’m not saying i have 2 cats and now i’m full, 23 to be exact and 4 came from the neighborhood. So it really would be great if your story could get out to all of the rescue’s, the animal care and control’s out there that say ferals will always be feral and they will never sit in your lap on their own. there are very foolish, foolish people out there that just don’t want to give any animal a chance especially a feral. I almost perfer ferals because i know that they want love, they just don’t know how to trust and trust just takes a little time!

163. Ulysses (great name!) is a gorgeous cat. The one photo demonstrates that he has a very animated tail, just like my black Jeepers Creepers. A perfect hook — symbolic of how you patiently captured him and gave him his new wonderful life.