Rescue Story of an Itty Bitty Kitty

cute rescued kitten on a plate

Little rescue sitting on a plate :)

Written by ©Abi Bell.

I work out almost everyday. After my friend and I do weights, we usually go for a run.  We headed out and we were yapping about this or that. When we were passing these bushes, I heard this sad whine sound. I stopped her and asked if she heard it. She’s said no, and I told her…”shhh listen!” and we walked back. Sure enough here’s these cute little eyes staring out of a bush.

We didn’t know what to do. She wouldn’t let us anywhere near her. My friend eventually took off and I went to PetSmart to get some food.

I came back and put the food down but she was still too scared to go near it with me, and that night I couldn’t get her to come home with me. That was hard. I came back first thing the next day with more food and same deal leave the food and go faaaaar off into the distance. I did this day and night for a week. She got better and I could stand closer but even if I reached down to touch her she’d hiss and run away. One night I couldn’t even find her and had to just leave the food. I was so scared that something had happened to her, but the next morning there she was waiting for me.

cute rescued kitten eating

This is kitten when she was still a little feral

I tried to pick her up once and she totally freaked out and clawed me all up. I was totally unprepared. So the next time my friend came to the gym with me she had a towel ready and I picked her up and put her in it. Ohhh she was not a happy cat at all! I took her back to my place and she hid under the bed. I put food and water under and the next day she’d come out and eat but still hissing if I tried to reach out to her. By the end of that day though she let me pet her and for the first time purred. I even think if it might have been her first purr. She looked a bit shocked as if she was thinking “What’s this sound?” Now she comes out and plays and lets me pet her. We’re getting along great. When she’s feeling feisty she races around the room and chases her tail till she falls over. It’s very funny. She also likes to jump with all 4 feet!

Everyone says I should find her a home. I have a photographer business that’s new and still not making a lot of income. I know the cost of animals (medical, food, etc) but I do really love this little kitten. All the cats that have ever been in my life have found me and I just think that’s the way cats are. They pick you. I will make the best choice for the kitty when I am ready. I still don’t have a name for her so if you want to throw something in the pot after seeing her I’d be open to that.

Photos courtesy of ©Abi Bell (Check out Abi’s flickr and photography website).

cute rescued kitten playful

cute rescued kitten hiding

cute rescued kitten

Adorable!

cute rescued kitten

cute rescued kitten

Kitten is looking for a name, any ideas?

cute rescued kitten

Abi and Kitten

112 Responses to “Rescue Story of an Itty Bitty Kitty”

1. Simone B. says:

Cupcake or "CC". I also like Bella – Chloe or Zoe :)

2. Cait says:

:3 Call her "Natural Choice" or "Choice/Joyce" for short. I think it could fit. :3

3. Laurie says:

All the cats I have found me also. And no matter how poor I've been in my life I've always found the means to provide for all the kitties who found me! Sometimes when I see a stray, a name will scroll through my mind – that's a sure way for me to know that they're meant to be mine. It doesn't always happen though. Sometimes I let their personality be the deciding factor – I have a girl who I initially named Princess, but she's kind of b*tchy, so now i call her Bear (affectionately, of course) because it fits her better! Good luck!

4. Beverly says:

How about Zina… it's Moroccan for "beautiful", and she's a beautiful little girl :)

5. Laurie says:

PS – I like Alice for her name. It's tough, but feminine, like the independent, feisty little girl she is! Alice and Abi, it has a certain ring to it!

6. Rick says:

How about "Lucky" as she is lucky to have you.

7. Rose says:

She is Precious !!! so please consider naming her that.

8. Debbie says:

Zoe. But I usually let them develop their personality and then name them. I have had kittens start out with one name and got changed to another. My big cat is named Dickens and when he was a kitten, he was "A little dickens".

9. Hassie says:

I think there is a reason you're together. If you can, keep her. It took her long enough to trust you. A new person might be upsetting to her. She is beautiful. How about Jolie. She's a pretty little thing. I think you will bring each other much happiness.

By the way, you take beautiful photographs. :)

10. Lexie says:

Name her after your favorite camera brand! ;) She is PRECIOUS!

11. sledpress says:

Chrome! As in Kodachrome and the wonderful varigated silver colors in her coat.

12. LizR says:

What about Peeka (or spelled Pica) as in Peek-a-boo I can see you (out of the bushes)

She is adorable and she did well to 'find' you.

She will be your forever friend and good on you for doing the right thing and saving her.

13. heidi Nathan says:

Precious? Hooligan?

I rescued a feral kitten, it's hard work. Now he is 5 years old and a darling!

14. Brooklyn says:

Kismet, because this was obviously meant to be.

15. Anne says:

My vote is for "Precious"

16. shar says:

buissons (pronounced – beeson)

is the french word for bushes (where you found her)

I don't know if you have ever had a "feral born kitten" before….

They only usually "bond" to only the first human they become tame with….

I had 2 feral kittens that I raised and then tried to adopt them out after a few months….I had to go back and get them as they shut down and wouldn't move or eat and even went to the bathroom in the same spot…after 2 weeks the new owners called me …they were almost dead….they just went into a deep depression and shutdown…

They are now 14 yrs. old Peaches and Sergee …

17. Zam says:

God bless you Abi. A very touching story and normally people would just ignore those lil ones. Even at tight conditions you're still considering to keep her, that's pure gold at heart.

Why wouldn't you call her Abi also, since she will always reminds you of your kind heart :)

18. cmanofcape says:

I think you've already fallen in love. How aobut Bella.

• Kellie says:

I vote Bella…. I have a sweet lil kitty named Bella. Her mom was a stray and had her kitties in a bush in someones yard. They had to be bottle fed at the ASPCA. I saw Bella and it was love at first sight I brought her home that day. One of the best days of my life =) My Husband and I love her to death she's so sweet.

19. Lindsay says:

I think she's beautiful and I totally agree with Laurie. She looks like an Alice to me! However, she came to you, chose you to take care of her and I believe the name should come from you. People drop off animals at my house and I end up taming, training, and finding homes for them. Its wonderful when my cousins come to visit and they are drawn to one and end up taking it home^_^ My advice is to keep her for a while and see what the future holds.

20. Linda says:

How about Tweena!

21. beckyl says:

I like elemental names for my cats. so, maybe, Cloudy or Breezy? my mom likes flower names: Poppy or Lily?

she really is very cute. hope you get to keep her.

(I've secretly always wanted to name a cat Penelope ;-)

22. Cat says:

I think she looks like "Glory" Like the beautiful Morning Glory.

23. Sherry says:

I think you should name her Angel. She has the face of an angel.

24. Karen says:

I also think there is a reason you’re together! My most precious kitty also found me- I think you should do anything you can to keep her. It took this sweet pea a long time to trust you. A new owner would be too traumatic for her! She is just adorable and I think you will bring each other happiness.

As for a name, I'm sure she'll answer to 'kitty' until you decide on something. Whatever fits! :)

25. Tari says:

The story title is "Itty Bitty Kitty" so since she is small, you could call her Tinkerbell. She looks very sweet and Sweet Pea would also be a cute name too. Usually something in a cat or kitten's personality, appearance or behavior helps me find the right name. I had a cat named Jasmine who lived to be 17 1/2. I got her name from a song that was playing when I was trying to find a name for her. I have also rescued feral cats and kittens and they can be tamed, but she may not bond with anyone but you. So if you can possibly keep her, please do.

26. Imran says:

God bless you Abi!

27. Heidi says:

That's a really sweet story. I'm so glad you kept going back to her, that's what I would've done too. It would've broken my heart to always wonder what would've happened. She looks like a Gigi to me ;) I hope you keep her, she sounds like a sweetheart!

28. gloria says:

how about hadley? :) it means "heather meadow." they're really gorgeous, and although kitten isn't purple colored, her splotchy and soft coloring reminds me of the way heather meadows are colored :)

29. Xaidiz says:

As a muslim, I believe that pets pray for their owner to be healthy and full of wealth. So, I hope this little kitty brings you much happiness and joy. And I believe she'll help your business, one way of another. Take care of her! She's so cute!

30. Nell says:

Wonderful story ! :D What an adorable kitten !! And how about Lulu for a name ?

31. Barb says:

That was a very touching story, it actually brought tears to my eyes. How about Destiny for a name? Please let us know what you end up naming her!

32. Susan says:

I have a rescue with a similar story. When I got him, he was SO tiny (around 1 pound at 6 weeks), and I just called him "The Little Guy." Of course, Little Guy stuck as his name. Now he's two years old, and he's very tall and gangly, and BIG. You should have seen the vet tech's face when I poured him out of the carrier! LOL

Anyway, do keep your kitty if you can. As someone else mentioned, they often end up bonding with just one person. She looks like an Addy (for Adorable) or a Lucky (because she ended up with you), or a Playdate (since you almost have to schedule your time with her) or something referring to her beautiful, muted coloring (WC or Watercolor? or Pastel).

Good luck.

Susan, Florida

33. Kate says:

She is a cutie face!!!! Most of my cats have found me too. Spent 6 months getting a very feral boy to trust me and now he's the biggest suck in my mom's house!(1 of 5). My 2 cats are Hannah and Alexander. I was going to suggest Gail/Gayle (as in Abi and Gayle)but i think she kinda looks like a Sorcha (Gaelic meaning Brightness, light). Zoe (meaning life) is good too.

34. Charlotte says:

PLEASE KEEP HER !!!!!

I would call her Hope…

35. Marilyn says:

What an adorable little kitty. I'll suggest Tinkerbell for her tiny fairy like appearance.

36. tunaonmymind says:

What about Adie? Adie short for adorable…

37. Roz says:

That is one sweet little girl. You two look like you were meant to be. I think that Faith would be a good name for her since you 2 apparently have faith enough in each other to be loving.

38. Brian says:

She is totally gorgeous, I think the name will pick itself once she tells you!