Rescue Story of an Itty Bitty Kitty

cute rescued kitten on a plate

Little rescue sitting on a plate :)

Written by ©Abi Bell.

I work out almost everyday. After my friend and I do weights, we usually go for a run.  We headed out and we were yapping about this or that. When we were passing these bushes, I heard this sad whine sound. I stopped her and asked if she heard it. She’s said no, and I told her…”shhh listen!” and we walked back. Sure enough here’s these cute little eyes staring out of a bush.

We didn’t know what to do. She wouldn’t let us anywhere near her. My friend eventually took off and I went to PetSmart to get some food.

I came back and put the food down but she was still too scared to go near it with me, and that night I couldn’t get her to come home with me. That was hard. I came back first thing the next day with more food and same deal leave the food and go faaaaar off into the distance. I did this day and night for a week. She got better and I could stand closer but even if I reached down to touch her she’d hiss and run away. One night I couldn’t even find her and had to just leave the food. I was so scared that something had happened to her, but the next morning there she was waiting for me.

cute rescued kitten eating

This is kitten when she was still a little feral

I tried to pick her up once and she totally freaked out and clawed me all up. I was totally unprepared. So the next time my friend came to the gym with me she had a towel ready and I picked her up and put her in it. Ohhh she was not a happy cat at all! I took her back to my place and she hid under the bed. I put food and water under and the next day she’d come out and eat but still hissing if I tried to reach out to her. By the end of that day though she let me pet her and for the first time purred. I even think if it might have been her first purr. She looked a bit shocked as if she was thinking “What’s this sound?” Now she comes out and plays and lets me pet her. We’re getting along great. When she’s feeling feisty she races around the room and chases her tail till she falls over. It’s very funny. She also likes to jump with all 4 feet!

Everyone says I should find her a home. I have a photographer business that’s new and still not making a lot of income. I know the cost of animals (medical, food, etc) but I do really love this little kitten. All the cats that have ever been in my life have found me and I just think that’s the way cats are. They pick you. I will make the best choice for the kitty when I am ready. I still don’t have a name for her so if you want to throw something in the pot after seeing her I’d be open to that.

Photos courtesy of ©Abi Bell (Check out Abi’s flickr and photography website).

cute rescued kitten playful

cute rescued kitten hiding

cute rescued kitten

Adorable!

cute rescued kitten

cute rescued kitten

Kitten is looking for a name, any ideas?

cute rescued kitten

Abi and Kitten

Sponsored Links

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

112 Responses to “Rescue Story of an Itty Bitty Kitty”

1. Simone B. says:

Cupcake or "CC". I also like Bella – Chloe or Zoe :)

2. Cait says:

:3 Call her "Natural Choice" or "Choice/Joyce" for short. I think it could fit. :3

3. Laurie says:

All the cats I have found me also. And no matter how poor I've been in my life I've always found the means to provide for all the kitties who found me! Sometimes when I see a stray, a name will scroll through my mind – that's a sure way for me to know that they're meant to be mine. It doesn't always happen though. Sometimes I let their personality be the deciding factor – I have a girl who I initially named Princess, but she's kind of b*tchy, so now i call her Bear (affectionately, of course) because it fits her better! Good luck!

4. Beverly says:

How about Zina… it's Moroccan for "beautiful", and she's a beautiful little girl :)

5. Laurie says:

PS – I like Alice for her name. It's tough, but feminine, like the independent, feisty little girl she is! Alice and Abi, it has a certain ring to it!

6. Rick says:

How about "Lucky" as she is lucky to have you.

7. Rose says:

She is Precious !!! so please consider naming her that.

8. Debbie says:

Zoe. But I usually let them develop their personality and then name them. I have had kittens start out with one name and got changed to another. My big cat is named Dickens and when he was a kitten, he was "A little dickens".

9. Hassie says:

I think there is a reason you're together. If you can, keep her. It took her long enough to trust you. A new person might be upsetting to her. She is beautiful. How about Jolie. She's a pretty little thing. I think you will bring each other much happiness.

By the way, you take beautiful photographs. :)

10. Lexie says:

Name her after your favorite camera brand! ;) She is PRECIOUS!

11. sledpress says:

Chrome! As in Kodachrome and the wonderful varigated silver colors in her coat.

12. LizR says:

What about Peeka (or spelled Pica) as in Peek-a-boo I can see you (out of the bushes)

She is adorable and she did well to 'find' you.

She will be your forever friend and good on you for doing the right thing and saving her.

13. heidi Nathan says:

Precious? Hooligan?

I rescued a feral kitten, it's hard work. Now he is 5 years old and a darling!

14. Brooklyn says:

Kismet, because this was obviously meant to be.

15. Anne says:

My vote is for "Precious"

16. shar says:

buissons (pronounced – beeson)

is the french word for bushes (where you found her)

I don't know if you have ever had a "feral born kitten" before….

They only usually "bond" to only the first human they become tame with….

I had 2 feral kittens that I raised and then tried to adopt them out after a few months….I had to go back and get them as they shut down and wouldn't move or eat and even went to the bathroom in the same spot…after 2 weeks the new owners called me …they were almost dead….they just went into a deep depression and shutdown…

They are now 14 yrs. old Peaches and Sergee …

17. Zam says:

God bless you Abi. A very touching story and normally people would just ignore those lil ones. Even at tight conditions you're still considering to keep her, that's pure gold at heart.

Why wouldn't you call her Abi also, since she will always reminds you of your kind heart :)

18. cmanofcape says:

I think you've already fallen in love. How aobut Bella.

• Kellie says:

I vote Bella…. I have a sweet lil kitty named Bella. Her mom was a stray and had her kitties in a bush in someones yard. They had to be bottle fed at the ASPCA. I saw Bella and it was love at first sight I brought her home that day. One of the best days of my life =) My Husband and I love her to death she's so sweet.

19. Lindsay says:

I think she's beautiful and I totally agree with Laurie. She looks like an Alice to me! However, she came to you, chose you to take care of her and I believe the name should come from you. People drop off animals at my house and I end up taming, training, and finding homes for them. Its wonderful when my cousins come to visit and they are drawn to one and end up taking it home^_^ My advice is to keep her for a while and see what the future holds.

20. Linda says:

How about Tweena!

21. beckyl says:

I like elemental names for my cats. so, maybe, Cloudy or Breezy? my mom likes flower names: Poppy or Lily?

she really is very cute. hope you get to keep her.

(I've secretly always wanted to name a cat Penelope ;-)

22. Cat says:

I think she looks like "Glory" Like the beautiful Morning Glory.

23. Sherry says:

I think you should name her Angel. She has the face of an angel.

24. Karen says:

I also think there is a reason you’re together! My most precious kitty also found me- I think you should do anything you can to keep her. It took this sweet pea a long time to trust you. A new owner would be too traumatic for her! She is just adorable and I think you will bring each other happiness.

As for a name, I'm sure she'll answer to 'kitty' until you decide on something. Whatever fits! :)

25. Tari says:

The story title is "Itty Bitty Kitty" so since she is small, you could call her Tinkerbell. She looks very sweet and Sweet Pea would also be a cute name too. Usually something in a cat or kitten's personality, appearance or behavior helps me find the right name. I had a cat named Jasmine who lived to be 17 1/2. I got her name from a song that was playing when I was trying to find a name for her. I have also rescued feral cats and kittens and they can be tamed, but she may not bond with anyone but you. So if you can possibly keep her, please do.

26. Imran says:

God bless you Abi!

27. Heidi says:

That's a really sweet story. I'm so glad you kept going back to her, that's what I would've done too. It would've broken my heart to always wonder what would've happened. She looks like a Gigi to me ;) I hope you keep her, she sounds like a sweetheart!

28. gloria says:

how about hadley? :) it means "heather meadow." they're really gorgeous, and although kitten isn't purple colored, her splotchy and soft coloring reminds me of the way heather meadows are colored :)

29. Xaidiz says:

As a muslim, I believe that pets pray for their owner to be healthy and full of wealth. So, I hope this little kitty brings you much happiness and joy. And I believe she'll help your business, one way of another. Take care of her! She's so cute!

30. Nell says:

Wonderful story ! :D What an adorable kitten !! And how about Lulu for a name ?

31. Barb says:

That was a very touching story, it actually brought tears to my eyes. How about Destiny for a name? Please let us know what you end up naming her!

32. Susan says:

I have a rescue with a similar story. When I got him, he was SO tiny (around 1 pound at 6 weeks), and I just called him "The Little Guy." Of course, Little Guy stuck as his name. Now he's two years old, and he's very tall and gangly, and BIG. You should have seen the vet tech's face when I poured him out of the carrier! LOL

Anyway, do keep your kitty if you can. As someone else mentioned, they often end up bonding with just one person. She looks like an Addy (for Adorable) or a Lucky (because she ended up with you), or a Playdate (since you almost have to schedule your time with her) or something referring to her beautiful, muted coloring (WC or Watercolor? or Pastel).

Good luck.

Susan, Florida

33. Kate says:

She is a cutie face!!!! Most of my cats have found me too. Spent 6 months getting a very feral boy to trust me and now he's the biggest suck in my mom's house!(1 of 5). My 2 cats are Hannah and Alexander. I was going to suggest Gail/Gayle (as in Abi and Gayle)but i think she kinda looks like a Sorcha (Gaelic meaning Brightness, light). Zoe (meaning life) is good too.

34. Charlotte says:

PLEASE KEEP HER !!!!!

I would call her Hope…

35. Marilyn says:

What an adorable little kitty. I'll suggest Tinkerbell for her tiny fairy like appearance.

36. tunaonmymind says:

What about Adie? Adie short for adorable…

37. Roz says:

That is one sweet little girl. You two look like you were meant to be. I think that Faith would be a good name for her since you 2 apparently have faith enough in each other to be loving.

38. Brian says:

She is totally gorgeous, I think the name will pick itself once she tells you!

39. Pam says:

Pikachu!

40. Daniela says:

hi! Her eyes bring light, dont you agree? So Light cloud be her name … or Shine… Let us know when you'll decide!! bYe

41. Kristen says:

I love her!!! I had a kitten that looked like her, she perished in a fire that destoyed my house as a child, but my kitten's name was Candice

42. siew eng says:

hissy-fit. which you can change to missy?

43. curator says:

Boy, I don't have a name suggestion but I do suggest you keep her!! What a good job you did and what a pretty girlie she is! (I have an ex-feral kitty, too.)

44. Holly says:

Your going to end up calling "Here, Sweetie!" all the time so just call her Sweetie Pie. I had a Cupcake, because he was a sweet fluffy thing.

45. sara says:

What a sweet story…What about "Dulce" It meas sweet in Spanish or what about "Melissa" It means "sweet as honey"

46. Parihan says:

What about (Twix) its one of my cats name.

47. Kacee says:

Aw…she's beautiful :) So glad you found each other and I think you should keep her cuz she did pick you :) THAT alone is very special :))

48. Theresa says:

Check to see if there are discount services for rescues in your area. Where I live, rescues can get discount spay & neuter and vet care. Call a rescue society, especially no-kill shelters — if they have resources they may be able to help her get the care she needs at less cost.

49. Sophie says:

I think you should keep her, she looks like she could be a fantastic muse for your photography.

The meaning of the name Serendipity is Fateful Meeting, so I'll vote for that.

50. Norman Murray Jr says:

What a cute kitty – She did find you – thanks for taking care of her when she need it.

51. Claire says:

That kitten is so lucky to have been found by you! You definitely should name her Precious!!! She is so very beautiful! I love the fotography you took of the sweet little thing! Her coat is like fragile ice frozen on water! I also came up with some other names so here they are: Jewel, Sophie, Itsy, Bella, Clementine, Clarice, Annette, and Harmony.

52. corinna says:

i think 'rescue' would sute her shes so cute (:

53. Blue says:

oh my gosh! She's just a beautiful, adorable creamy gray tabby!! She's just exquisite! I haven't read all the comments yet so maybe someone already suggested this but, how about BeeBee or BB for Bush Baby :-)

• Blue says:

and as a few people have mentioned….maybe she was sent to you to help your photography business….take lots of pics of her and she just may reward you ;-)

54. Bethany says:

Beautiful Kitty! Bless you for saving her and I do agree with many that say you keep her. You said itty bitty kitty, so why not call her bitty? lol My cat is Tooey (like Ratta-tooey lol) He is my life! He is a male Siamese, who will be 16 in May.

55. Katy says:

She looks like a Sicily to me. :) Beautiful kitten!

56. Teri says:

Sweetpea looks as though it would fit her

57. Linda says:

She's so cute and sweet-looking. Her eyes are striking and remind me of opals so that is my suggestion, Opal. But the last cat that found me was a good hunter with lovely blue eyes and my sister and I named her Princess Diana and I ended up calling her Girl most of the time.

58. Karol Ling says:

Awww beautiful kitty!!! Keep her! You will never regret it!

I vote for –> faith, lucky, tinkerbell, sweets, and sugar

59. Anonymous says:

how about Lucy.We have a cat named Lucy.

60. jennifer says:

soooo adorable. i think you should keep her..all the names are adorable..I love Hissy, Kismet and Serendipity…

61. Sarah says:

Don't worry, she will tell you her name when she's ready! I've got a colony of feral cats that live on my property, and although I named then all when they were kittens, some of their names have changed because they simply grew out of their baby-names and decided to be called something different. :)

62. notemily says:

OMG. That thing about her being surprised to purr is the cutest thing I've ever heard. I don't have a name suggestion but she is beautiful and I'm glad she's getting less feral and more personable.

63. Erik says:

Great story! I took in a little calico/tortie kitten that (I think) was dumped a couple months ago. No hissing here – she's been cuddly since about two minutes after I found her, dirty and starving in an alley – and somehow missing the tip of her tail. But she's doing great and is spoiled now.

Anyhow, her name is Mai Tai. I wouldn't be upset if you borrowed it (they'll never know :))

64. Diana says:

It looks as if you found her in a juniper bush, so maybe june, juney, or another derivative….

65. Diana says:

Of course, if I am wrong about the shrub, she could always be Eve for evergreen, or Emmy for emerald arborvita. ;D

66. kelly says:

I thought maybe Brittany. She is really beautiful!

67. Jasmine says:

Hi there that is a great story, how about Hope?

I suggest "Snowy", with reference to her beautiful "coat". Furry luck.

69. buthie says:

thank you for giving her your heart….

70. erica says:

How about dori short for adorable?

which she is! i could never let her go either!

71. erica says:

Your name is Ali and hers would be Dori how cute is that -Please let us know what you decide :)

72. Dee says:

Aww…she's so adorable and I hope you will keep her. I Name my cats according to her personality or her color. Good Luck Abi.

73. Christy says:

Your pictures are gorgeous! I think you should name her Mala. It seems to fit her. I also think you should keep her, if possible. She loves you.

74. Tina Stockton says:

Bubbles comes to mind for some reason…her feisty spirit and looks, I guess. She is lucky you rescued her!

75. KellyAnne says:

So sweet! And the photos are lovely. Good luck with keeping her–it's a big commitment when you're just starting out, so kudos!

76. Erin says:

I always thought "Ribbon" would be an adorable name for a kitty.

77. daniela says:

Thank you for rescuing this cute charmer! how about Nathalie for a name?

You have a wonderful heart, wish there were more people like you

78. Deanna says:

What a sweaty! She's so beautiful!

I thought of Moni as a name.

I really hope you get to keep her!

79. beckyl says:

so, what's the name verdict? so anxious!

80. Caroline says:

How precious! and How good of your to be so patient!

If she's indoor only a once a year checkup should be fine, that's what i do with my mandie.. What else is helpful is to ask someone in local store if they'd mind donating dented cans of cat food or bags of dry food that ripped open. Fostering a mommy cat and her kittens once, I went into Family Dollar, and when one of the cashiers learned what I was doing from then on out he'd save any ripped bags of litter and crunchy food (friskies) for me.

Good luck, may you to have years of happiness together!

81. Darla says:

You could look up Cat organizations on-line in your area and they should offer a low cost service for taking care of her so you could keep her! I think it's fate that YOU found her and you can give her a forever home!

82. Mary says:

I vote for the name Angel. She certainly looks like one. How wonderful that you were able to save her too:)

83. Sylvia says:

Itty Bitty Kitty and Abi found each other, what could be more touching.

84. Vie Mucha says:

Let us know what her name is when U decide.

85. Cathy says:

Emma…that;s my cats name and she looks just like her when she was a kitten. She was a feral cat…barnyard cat. All it took was TLC and 15 years later she is still my best friend :-)

86. ryu says:

feral cats get to be the tamest over time. I'm sure she will be a purring machine!

87. Iffat says:

I also think you should keep you. You found each other & belong together. Thank you for your persistence. How about naming her Kitten? It really suits her!

88. Kristoffer says:

You are right, pets can be expensive but you get a lot back in return. As much as mine cost me I wouldn't give them up for a million dollars!

If you want to keep her I hope you find a way to offset the extra money it will take to care for her… No doubt you will be glad you did. If you can't, I hope you find a wonderful home for this cute baby.

Not sure I have a good name to suggest. I usually pick a name after getting to know them – but I like the name Angel that someone mentioned and also like Baby. Let us know what you pick and whether you keep her!

89. Bianca says:

How about Tiger or Lily? Maybe Smoke…

90. Summer Calvache says:

call her precious… she is so adorible!!!

91. Susana says:

Keep her! You love her and she loves you too, now that she´s not afraid anymore.

Cats are amazing creatures and so very loving. :)I have 4 myself.

How about Mimi? :)

Good Luck!

92. OmegaFox says:

im supposing that the kitten's a girl (she?) but still, "graham" sticks to my head as her name. dunno why. consider it suggested xD

and she's very pretty too :3

93. Rebecca says:

I think you should keep her too. When a shy cat accepts you like that, it means something. She's not a cat for just anybody. As for a name, she is so delicate and beautiful looking…yet strong, knows her own mind… hmm… how about Emily? I think Alice fits her too.

She has very large, bright eyes, how about Meka? (Hawaiian name, means "eyes.") Also I found this online: "Naira means glittering or shining. It's a beautiful exotic name derived from Nain – meaning eyes – which also means large bright eyes. It brings with it an added touch of beauty and aura to a person."

94. Cindy Delaurentis says:

I found a itsy bitsy kitty in the bushes once and she was a beautiful siver colored kitten too. I named her Silver girl, I know, not very original, but somehow it fit. (There was a little girl back in the early days of silver mining in Colorado whose mother "Baby Doe", named her daughter "Silver Doller")

95. Faith says:

u can call her " mini " or "bitty" cuz she is so small cute

96. Janice says:

Mitzie, she looks like a Mitzie to me.

Sweet,shy, cautious and loving you!

Best wishes on your bonding and future companionship.

97. Michael says:

We adopted a largely feral cat from a local shelter. She had been rescued from the house of a cat hoarder who had over 250 cats.

When we adopted her, "Neme" (short for Nemesis) was very skittish and didn't like being touched and would hide a lot. She was also surprised and confused by the first purrs that we heard. We found that leaving a radio on during the day while we were at work, tuned to a talk radio station helped get her used to the sound of humans. (We used the soothing voices of our local NPR affiliate.) After a few weeks of leaving the radio on during the day Neme was much more comfortable with us around.

98. Joker says:

I totally think she should've been named Shutter, that is such an adorable kitten!

99. hannah says:

she looks just like my cat named bubbles she was a farrell cat just like that one i think you could call her bubbles :)

100. Gale says:

You could call her Little Paw – it's adorable like she is. You found her for a reason; she will bring you much joy. Bless you both.

101. Beth says:

I'd call her Two(or "to")-Bit(s) (optional s). But that's just me. ^.^ Two-Bit for the size, or To-Bits for how much she's loved. ^.^

102. natty says:

I have two rescued Sister’s, both of which were found dumped alone in a Bush. Dotty is the Busy one loves to fight, hunt and climb everything, Doris is the cwtchy (cuddle) monster. They were dumped alone in the freezing October tempertures. And lucky they were found…….

103. C says:

Sweetie!!

104. Debra Olsen says:

:-) Cleopatra (Cleo for short) with those gorgeous huge eyes that look like they are lined with black eyeliner ~ I had a beautiful long~haired girl with the same coloring many years ago & that was her name. Or, Elizabeth Taylor (Tail~or???) ~ lol ~ who played Cleopatra in the movie, or Eliza or Liz or Lizzie. :-) PS I now have four furbabies ~ wasn’t planning on more than three, but last fall took in a little starving & dehydrated calico stray that seemed almost feral &/or abused (or lost ~who knows?) She is so sweet looking with the most beautiful shade of green eyes (peridot) that I have ever seen & a mostly white face with one carmel colored ear & one blackish. However, she is very fearful & cowers as though she had been hit, so needless to say, I proceeded with caution always slow & with my hand cupped from under… never try to pet her from above. Also, since someone had the poor judgement to declaw her front claws, she learned to instead bite at the hand that feeds her…me! She is gnarly with my other three & growls at them & is especially terrified of my solid black beauty. She is a little project & I’m happy to say that after four months we are seeing some progress.

• Debra Olsen says:

:-) P.S. Of course I am keeping her ~ her name is Monet (as in Monet, the French watercolor artist.) Sometimes, I call her Pippa (as in Kate Middleton’s little sister.)…little Pip~squeek! I could never part with her now. I don’t think she would thrive with anyone who could not be extremely patient with her. I sincerely hope that you keep this little darling too! (After my experience with Monet, I believe, what others have said about ferals bonding with others…just too traumatic for the poor things ~ the issue is all about trust!

105. Tom says:

That’s almost exactly like how I found my new kitten this summer, but he was living in a thicket of weeds next to a busy highway and I found him while riding my bike and I had to use a Havahart trap. I should really post his story and pictures soon, I call him Bobby Joe. Anyway, if you are still looking for a name, she looks like a “Lucy” to me, or “Sparkle” if you’re into cutesy names.