Bunny’s Transformation: from Feral to Happy Cat

cute rescued feral kitten bunny stretching

It's hard to believe that Bunny was once a feral

Before the supposed Ida tropical storm, Jannese and Debra made an attempt to capture one or more of the kittens in the lot to make sure they would be safe. Over the weeks Debra had acquainted a kitten through playing so that she would trust them and get near them.

“Little tiny (kitten) has the craziest play drive so she was so entranced by the game that Debra was able to sneak grab her and we quickly put her in a crate and brought her upstairs,” said Jannese.

The kitten was not pleased a bit. She was growling and hissing like nothing they had seen before. Debra and Jannese gathered all the necesities from the pet store and contacted a couple foster parents for help to calm a feral kitten while trying to coax the kitten to move from the crate into a large cage.

“I assumed that kitten would high-tail it out of the crate into the cage, but no sir, she was refusing to budge even when I tipped the crate forward. The only choice we had was to just leave the whole crate in the cage overnight with the door open hoping she’d come out.”

rescued feral kitten timid scared

After Bunny just moved into her foster home

“In the morning when I woke up to walk my dog Budda, I figure I’d made an attempt to get her out of the crate. I took apart the crate like the vets showed us once, so the top was off and she dashed towards the back of the cage and hissed at me. The next day the hissing had calmed down. Debra got out the baby food left by (a foster parent) Kim and fed her on a spoon and with a big wooden spoon she pet the kitten, and while I took Budda out for his evening walking, Debra managed not only to pet her, but give her a belly rub and carry her and put her in her lap for a pet. Amazing!”

“This little miss also allowed me to give her a long pet and to hold her in my arms. After we came back from dinner, Debra was back at it, and had that little kitten belly up in her arms with her eyes closed and getting a belly rub. I got to do the same thing the next morning.”

The little girl is called Bunny. Slowly Bunny came out of her shell, spending more time with Debra and Jannese on the sofa, snacking on some baby food, napping on their lap and even giving the occasional purr. “If it wasn’t for baby food we’d still have a snarling spitting kitty.” She was still a bit timid and uneased when she was on the floor, but it was not long until she finally adjusted to her new life. Jannese’s dog Budda had been nothing but a great friend to her.

Bunny got to stay with Jannese and Debra for almost 2 months. What a transformation she had made. With their help, Bunny found a wonderful loving home. “It was with mixed feelings that we handed Bunny over to her lovely new family, we had been torn for weeks to keep her or to place her in a new home. We knew going in that we would be fostering her but we never anticipated how attached we would become. Bunny came into this home as a snarling, spitting, tiny kitten, and left a well adjusted loving young cat. Her new family has a spacious home for her to run in, 3 other cats who will provide the feline family she probably craves, and two lovely tween/teen girls, Lucy and Maggie, who will give her tons of love and attention. I knew when the younger of the two sister’s took off her sweater and was wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the word KITTEN, in silver studs, that we made the right decision.”

One of Jannese’s fosters, Björn, is desperately searching for a loving home. Click here to check out his story.

Photos courtesy of Jannese Rojas (Check out her Tiny Beast Town blog and flickr page)

cute rescued kitten loves to sit in pot

Bunny's favorite sleeping and hang out spot is in a flower pot on the window sill

cute rescued kitten falls asleep in a flower pot

...

cute rescued kitten sleeping in a flower pot

Zzzz...

cute rescued kitten taking a nap

Snooze!

cute rescued kitten sleeps with dog friend

Last snuggle with Budda the dog before Bunny left for her new home

cute rescued kitten lounges by the window

Window sill queen :)

19 Responses to “Bunny’s Transformation: from Feral to Happy Cat”

1. sara says:

How sweet!!!! Bunny looks like a twin brother of Cabbie, one of my rescue kitties. Cabby came to us as a little young kitten. Every evening he came to our porch to eat and rest a little, never wanted to come in. He let us to pet him, to talk to him, a very sweet little kittie. Than one day I took him to be neuter, since he wanted to stay outside, we didn't want him to be out making babies. Well, the little fella, after we brougth hm back from the clinic, had decided to stay with us. I guess the "urgency" to go out to look for girfriends has stopped after the surgery. It has been 5 years since he came to us. He's a house cat now, well loved and pampered. Thanks so much for taking care of Bunny and giving him a second chance. He's a beautiful young cat =)

2. Jess says:

Oh my goodness Love Meow you work wonders! I myself have a once feral cat and her name is Tessa. When I was in high school a friend of mine told me about about a cat that she found in her basement that had six kittens. I at the time was a volunteer for my local humane society and had talked to our foster coordinator to get Tessa and her six kittens into the program. The six kittens and Tessa were accepted into the program… Tessa unfortunately was very shy and had a very bad wound on her left paw… I got a call from the foster coordinator saying that she was going to be put to sleep because she was to aggressive toward people.. I asked the foster cooridinator if I could try fostering her and to rehabilitate her. The following morning I pulled up into the parking lot of the kennel that Tessa was staying at.. She was in a hot room with dogs underneath her barking and she was in a plastic small dog kennel with her kittens running all over her ( who by the way were ready to be separated from there mom) I peered into the kennel and I saw nothing but fear in her green eyes!!!!! The kennel attendant asked me to leave the room because she was afraid that Tessa would bite her. They got her in a kennel and I took her home. I myself had two cats already, I had set a large dog kennel up in my bedroom with a bed, litter box, food, water and a few toys.. When I arrived home I set the kennel I had brought with me down and let her walk herself in to her new sancutary. I had her home for less than two hours and she was in my lap purrring, I knew from that moment on that Tessa was my cat!!! I still have her its been 4 years now and she is not the same cat, she plays, meows, jumps on the bed to be loved on and is so outgoing… I was told that she would never change that I'd have to put her to sleep within a year and We sure showed them!!!

• sara says:

OMG!!!What horrible conditions they have (had?) in that rescue group!!!! Hope they were reported to the local authority!!! I'm so glad y were able to help her, what a HUGE heart you have. Do you know what happened to the kitties?

3. Marilyn says:

What a sweet little kitten. I'm so glad she became socialized. I have a feral cat that I rescued about 9 years ago. She's healthy, happy, safe and friends with all of my other cats.

4. Lin says:

What a lovey story with a wonderful result.

5. Cheryl says:

I love her. I really enjoyed the pictures!

6. Tara says:

What a great story

7. Katie says:

What a wonderful story, she is so adorable, can't help but smile when I see her cute mug. Love her to pieces,she reminds me of my cat Gizmo. Thanks for sharing!!

8. Bali Suut says:

to Jess. Your story makes me cry

9. Candace says:

Great story, adorable kitty. My two sweeties were from a feral mom, and they are great kitties. It just takes some patience. Thanks for giving Bunny the chance for a forever home.

10. Beverly says:

What a lovely story! I'm so glad Bunny found her loving furr-ever home! Bless you all for taking in and loving these little darlings! :)

11. Ellie says:

You are getting very, very sleepy! Bunny looks like an awesome cat!

12. Linda says:

Bunny has the sweetest face!

13. Bunny is soooooo cute, OMC! You are so wonderful to care for the little guys like Bunny and make sure they get a happy home. Concats to you all and to Bunny!

Hugs,

Tom

xoxo

14. Marilia says:

The true love story!!!

15. Ingrid says:

I wish her a wonderful life. She is so adorable!

16. caroline. says:

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. You gave Bunny the chance to have a wonderful family. Bless your heart. She is so adorable!

Oh, Bunny looks alike my Pumbie. She's now 17!, and still a little bossy, but I adore my cat, and only looking at her I notice beauty and

naivety at the same time. Good luck to Bunny and all of them!.

18. how sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!