Nekoyanagi Helps Conserve Energy After Earthquake in Japan

scottish fold cat hides under couch after earthquake hit japan

On the day the earthquake hit Japan, Nekoyanagi takes refuge under the couch

cute scottish fold cat stays in kitty bed comfort snug cozy

Nekoyanagi helps conserve energy by keeping himself warm and cozy

It was quite a scare for Nekoyanagi (Cat Willow) when the earthquake struck Japan on March 11. All the persistent shaking that followed suit seemed to never end.

“Nekoyanagi is ok. When the earthquake occurred, we were both at work. All the trains had stopped working, but we somehow made it home on foot,” said Nekoyanagi’s mom.

Nekoyanagi was little frightened, hiding under the couch for a long time. Even when his human parents came back, he remained in his refuge and refused to come out. His family left food by his side, so he could eat some when he felt comfortable. It was the aftershocks that kept him under the couch especially when there was a big tremor.

Because of electricity shortage, the government has scheduled power outages throughout the country and encouraged residents to conserve energy. As a result, the house temperature has dropped quite a bit. In order to keep warm, Nekoyanagi slips under mommy’s comforter and stays there for as long as he wants. “That’s the way he cooperates with the energy conservation plan – by sharing the bed with us,” added mom on her blog.

When Nekoyanagi is tired of the human bed, he will switch it up by using his fancy cat bed with a soft throw cover on top, keeping him all snug and cozy inside.

“It is a good energy-saving bed,” said mom.

Nekoyanagi and his family want us to know that there are still a lot of people and animals that need our help and prayers.

How to help:

Photos and story courtesy of ©Nekoyanagi.

cute scottish fold cat sleeps under comforter snug cozy

The temperature dropped. Nekoyanagi nestles in mommy's bed to stay warm

cute scottish fold cat stays under bed covering

cute scottish fold keeps warm in kitty bed

cute scottish fold cat stays warm in kitty bed

Here are 3 photos of Nekoyanagi before the earthquake:

cute scottish fold cat nekoyanagi roll on floor

cute scottish fold cat sits upright on couch

cute scottish fold cat gives paw shake

28 Responses to “Nekoyanagi Helps Conserve Energy After Earthquake in Japan”

1. sea says:

What a sweet, beautiful Scottish Fold!

I'm so happy all the family is fine. My thoughts are with Japanese people and animals, every day.

2. I just want to hug Nekoyanagi and tell him what a brave kitty he is for snuggling up with his family and conserving energy. Sending blessings and prayers to all the pet and the humans they own in Japan.

3. Elena says:

So good to hear little Neko was okay, I was worried about him!

4. Dorothy says:

What a beautiful cat! So glad to hear your family is safe. Thinking about those who weren't so fortunate.

5. carmela says:

its good to hear good news coming from japan for people and there pets!!! Please dear lord, help them re cooperate!!!

6. Kimberly says:

oh how cute!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Marilyn says:

How adorable. I continue to pray for the people and animals of Japan every day.

8. KeyLime says:

Nekoyana-chan surely knows how to help his mom! God bless the family!

9. Monica says:

Poor cat: in the first shot he's really scared. Glad to see he and his family are ok.

I can't image how appalling an earthquake is for animals.

10. Anne says:

What a beautiful kitty, looks like Maru. Soooo glad you all are safe and hope sweet Neko adapts soon and isn't scared. But he looks so cute nestled down in your bed. Give him kisses from your American friends and stay safe.

11. Katie says:

Sure glad that he is safe and sound and has a loving home. He is adorable, he looks so much like Maru. Please give him big hugs and kisses from his Anerican friends. Praying for all the people and animals. Be safe!!

12. Teri says:

What a cute little sweetie. I'm so glad he's safe.

13. Michelle says:

I'm so happy he is safe and sound. What a cutie!

14. Carol says:

He looks like he might be Maru's cousin! What a cutie he is! Keep your mommy warm, Neko!

15. Ellie says:

Really, looks a lot like Maru!

16. ran says:

ooh so sweet

17. melanie miller says:

Just a beautiful cat! what a sweetheart. Thank God he is okay.

What a nice, lovely kitty! I donated some money to an animal rescue

association through the Internet. Does anyone know how are things

doing?. And Maru, how is he and his family doing?. I hope everything

goes for the best little by little.

19. Dee says:

I just love those round eyes!!! Oh…the cute folded ears too!!! SOO cute…

20. hud aikara says:

so cute! Im glad Nekoyanagi safe!

21. Silver Sweet says:

I love the pics! The one where he is laying and the one where he's sitting are the best and cutest! My thoughts and prayers are with the people and animals in Japan in their time of need. I donated some money (and plan to do so again), I hope it did some good.

22. Iffat Ahmad says:

Such a sweet, brave boy. I have donated to The Animal Rescue Site & the World Society for the Protection of Animals. There are so many wonderful animal rescue groups working very hard. My friend who owns a yoga studio had a couple of Japan Relief yoga classes, with all proceeds going to rescue charity. Everyone all over the world must do their part in situations such as this. Thanks for your post!

23. D.Elam says:

Such a handsome boy & those big round eyes! Very happy he & his family are safe. Stay warm little Nekoyanagi:)

24. Gloria says:

Aww I am so relieved to know you and your family are okay. My thoughts and prayers have been with you and the people of Japan…Very heart warming pictures. Hugs to you, thank you for sharing.

25. Ingrid says:

Thank you for this story full of humour, it feels good because even if I'm not Japanese I feel for Japan. I'm very anxious for the safety and well-being of these people and their furry creatures.

26. Jennifer says:

Soo sweet…and prayers, good thoughts, positivity and light go out to Japan and the whole world. We are one!

27. Nahga says:

Is it just me or do Scottish Folds seem to be very popular in Japan?