Donnie the Kitty Found Surrogate Parents

Donnie is one of the four tiny kittens that Szetoo found in a box outside. “George and I took them home, nursed them every 3 hours for the past two weeks. I’ve brought them to the vet since, had to cancel jobs and take care of them and its worth it,” said Szetoo.

cute kitten bottle feeding

Caring for baby kittens is no easy task. “We got very little sleep every night, every time we went out we had to be back within three hours. Each time we fed them, cleaned them, patted them on the back t help them burp, warmed up their milk, cleaned their poo, it took us an hour and a half. And we did this 6 or 7 times a day. The absence of a mother meant we had to become surrogate mothers and teach them basic skills like playing, defecating and etc. Every other day I had to scrub the cloths we used as the base of their boxes and we had to warm up their heating packs every few hours to keep them warm and cozy,” Szetoo wrote.

cute rescue kitten paws jean

Sweet Donnie

cute rescue kitten

“These kittens have taught us so much about parenthood and we are grateful for this experience in so many ways. It hurts when the little ones get sick or when they refuse to eat. You worry when they lose weight or cry for their mother. I now understand that being a mother is never the easiest thing. I never know if they will run from us when they’re older or if they will become difficult to care for but somehow this bond you’ve formed assures you that you will always love them no matter what,” said Szetoo.

Photos courtesy of ©Szetoo Weiwen (flickr: szetooweiwen).

cute rescue kitten gets tummy rubs

Donnie loves to be tickled

cute rescue kitten

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

17 Responses to “Donnie the Kitty Found Surrogate Parents”

1. Liza says:

So cute!!!

2. Wendy S. says:

I’m so glad there’s people out there who will love babies like little Donnie…May they all be blessed and happy.

3. Barbara says:

Donnie looks like one happy kitty. What a cutie. I especially love the last picture.

4. Carol says:

What a little sweetie! I’ve nursed kittens like that before, and it is no easy task. Mine were fed every 2 hours. Fortunately, I worked from home, so I could check on them constantly in their box by my chair, and I fixed their little bottles and did all of the above. It REALLY is a bonding thing with the little ones. I have no human children, so they were/are my babies! They’re so dependent and so sweet, just like a human baby would be. I did have a mama kitty about the same time, too, and after I made sure the orphans were healthy, I finally got her to take them all in and nurse them all. I’ll never forget the experience!

5. Bunni says:

Awww, what precious kitties. You are saints for caring for the precious little angels!

6. Pat says:

You did a greta job.

7. Ingrid and the 4 furkids says:

What an adorable baby. Thank you for being such a good surrogate Mom.

8. Nesting says:

How could anyone in their right mind leave such a cute bundle of joy in a box. If all the kitties are like little Donnie, omg too cute for words…Thank you and God bless you for taking care and nurturing these little babies…you are special people ♥♥♥

9. carole says:

you are to be commended for your dedication.they are lucky to have you.you are to have them

10. Wee says:

Thank you so much for making the world a better place by opening your heart to animals!

11. Szetoo says:

Hey everyone thanks for all the lovely comments! It makes me feel like I’ve done the right thing and I’m happy that there’s so many cat lovers out there. I’ve just given our male kitten up for adoption last night, I still feel sad but at the same time happy cos he’s got an owner with three other cats so he’ll have many friends :) We’re keeping two, Jackie and Donnie, and believe it or not, my fiance and I will be moving to a new place for them soon cos we live in an office studio now.

12. Wee says:

Szetoo, thank you so much from the cat kingdom! You are a gift to the world! Love to your kitties and to your beautiful human family!

13. Sylvia says:

Beautiful story.

14. SHauna says:

Wonderful story! I’m so glad you opened up your home and your heart to those adorable kittens!

15. misskitty says:

wow what an angel, and what a great story. thank you for saving this adorable baby!!!!

16. caroline says:

im sure they will love you and not run away x