Abandoned Momcat Keeps Her Kittens Safe Until Rescue

This tortie Momcat is an inspiration to all mothers. She protected her kitties from all adversities when they were abandoned. After being rescued by the Challenger’s House in Alabama, she continues her role as the sweetest mother she can be. Her kittens are clingy little bunch who cry for her attention whenever she’s around, but the Momcat… she is nothing but love.

Robyn, their foster mom said via her blog: ”The story with the new Momcat and her kittens is that they were dumped off at a local area business. At least they were in a carrier, right? EXCEPT that after the (insert descriptive word of your choice) dumped them at the local area business, they opened the carrier. It could have been a very bad scene, except that Momcat is a good mother, and she stayed with her babies so that no one went wandering off.”

The cat mama has given her little ones everything she’s got. “Momcat is absolutely skin and bones, and I’m giving her extra snacks several times a day. So that she can actually get some food into her, I’m feeding her up off the floor because otherwise the kittens would be all over that food,” Robyn added.

The kittens follow their cat mom like a plague. “They scream at me until I sit down, and then they climb all over me, digging their sharp little claws into me. Then they catch sight of their momma and they think ‘I haven’t eaten in at LEAST thirty seconds! Momma! Momma! I AM STARVING!’ and they gang up on her and take her down in mere seconds. She totally puts up with it, and did I mention what an angel she is? She totally is,” Robyn wrote.

Momcat being followed by her own crowd of stalkers

cute rescue tortie cat mama and clingy kittens

If she stops for a moment, the little monsters latch right on.

cute rescue tortie cat mama and clingy kittens

cute rescue tortie cat mama and clingy kittens

She gives in.

cute rescue tortie cat mama and clingy kittens

cute rescue tortie cat mama and clingy kittens

Photos courtesy of Robyn Anderson (flickr: RobynAnderson, Robyn’s blog: Love and Hisses).

27 Responses to “Abandoned Momcat Keeps Her Kittens Safe Until Rescue”

1. melanie says:

OMG, I love torties, and what a sweet momma cat this one is. :)

2. rhandi says:

darling

3. melissa says:

She is awesome. Those kitties look big enough to be weened, don’t they? I had a moma cat like that once, she weighed 6 pounds. She does need the extra nutrition and fish oil would be helpful too, just make sure is doesn’t have any citrus flavors added.

4. Lesley says:

What a sweet mama!

5. C says:

The 2nd picture she’s saying “Please help with these babies”. She is certainly such a good mommy. Whoever dropped them off is stupid. Babies are much better off without that idiot; just lucky that they were found by a good person & that none of them were hurt by anything in the big city.

6. Jazzpjd says:

She looks just like my dear lil Pink, and she is good with the kitties. You might talk to the vet about de-worming momma and babies. The skinniness and extreme hunger could easily be due to intestinal buggies. thank you for taking them all in. Makes me miss Pink.

• Debra Olsen says:

Exactly right, that’s what happened with my rescued from the streets tortie/calico. It soon became apparent that she was preggers & had worms. Cannot worm a pregnant mom & the kitties will all have worms when born. :-(

• Debra Olsen says:

Oh, & worms are easy to see…check the feces. Sounds yucky I know, but they look like white rice & they will move. Mommy looks like a very young one, herself. What a darling & you, too! :-)

7. Druscilla says:

That’s one super-momcat! <3 Hope they all get a great big happy home!

8. Shelly Lyon says:

If only humans had a fraction of the maternal instinct this sweet mama has!

• lindal says:

my feelings exactly! Mama kitties—super-mommies!!i remember a story about a mama rescuing her babies from a fire,i think in NYC, she was burned badly but survived and i think a fireman adopted her.

• Fireshot says:

Yeah I recall that story as well about the Mama kitty who risked her life to save her Kittens from a very dangerous fire! Some people think cats are aloof and very Independent. While this can be true for SOME cat’s, not all of them are like that. In fact some are downright people kitty’s!

9. fairlady68 says:

That little tortie momma is just stunning with her big searching eyes and lovely fur…I have a tortie too but she is spayed. Please give that adorable cat a BIG KISS from me and a loving nose-bumpie from my tortie Chloe.

10. Shadow says:

Aww, such a good little mama! :)

11. katie k says:

Looks like she has her hands full!!

12. Connie says:

Brandywine is such a good mom!

13. Debra Olsen says:

“-) Oh, my, Mommy speaks to me… such a beautiful site. If only there were not such an overpopulation of these wonderful creatures. Love those babies! :-)

14. Richard H says:

This is a very familiar site. A tortie, very similar to Momcat wandered onto our porch one night looking for a handout. I had been feeding strays there for several years so this was no surprise. Looking inside the door, she “invited” herself in and made herself at home! No problem as all of our cats “moved in” in much the same manner. We think she was abandoned by a neighbor family that was evicted. After several weeks, and an obvious weight gain, she delivered two very wonderful kittens in our bathroom one night, much the same as those pictured in the photos above. A boy (orange) and a girl (solid black) They have proven to be a very welcomed addition to our family which now totals seven, 5 fescue and 2 “oops”! Now the kittens are bigger than their mama!!!

15. Jeff says:

What an adorable mommy…..I have a tortie who is the best kitty in the world….very loving….playful…..I love torties!!!!

16. nina lyn lansa says:

good mama :)

17. Marsha says:

I took in a stray last year, but she was not a tortie, but a little black girl – when I got her in the house, I found it that she was pregant…. she could not have been more than 6 months old and she had 5 babies…. She was the very best momma and very protective. She ended up having a very bad infection after she had the babies, and I took her to the vet, and got her all fixed up – She is still with me, as well as one of her babies, I took the rest of the “kids” to a shelter in my area that will keep them until they are adopted.. Sweetipie is a very loveable little girl, she has now been spayed, and has a wonderful life. I cringe when I think what might have happened to her and those babies!

18. JR says:

Robyn you are an angle. momma kitty is beautiful, as are her babies.

19. Julia says:

wow beautiful mom!

20. Iffat says:

Oh my, she is so absolutely beautiful. The best cat momma!

21. Derp says:

sweet cat mama~~~ :)

22. Dee says:

Oh my goodness, I can’t, I just can’t take the love and cuteness!!