Rescue Feral Ginger Kittens Get New Surrogate Mom

A group of kittens were rescued from a farm whose life would otherwise been terminated to control population in the area. Fran Wylie, an animal rescuer from Canada, has gone on a quest in trapping as many feral and stray kitties as possible, hoping to give them the second chance they deserve. These tiny little gingers were scared after relocation to a new place until they were greeted by Alice, a rescue cat herself who took to them like her own.

“Alice is a stray I rescued from my dad’s workplace a couple of months ago. She had a kitten that was rescued before we (my dad and I) rescued her. Her kitten was adopted out quite some time ago, but Alice is very timid plus she has food allergies so I haven’t tried to adopt her out yet,” said Fran W. While having Alice around the house, they have discovered that she has a soft heart for the little rescue kittens they bring home, showing much nurturing and love to the timid little ones.

“She seems to adore the kittens. I let them out for about an hour this morning and she spent the entire time playing with them and trying to entice them to follow her. As you can see, their tails are usually high up in the air when she’s around, a sign of confidence and friendliness,” Alice wrote on her flickr.

“They are so cute and every time they see each other the interactions get more and more personal…. It touches my heart every time I see Alice with ‘her’ kittens. She is so devoted to them, she might as well have given birth to them herself. They suckle for minutes and minutes on end. And Alice patiently lets them, all the while cleaning and cleaning…. I’m sure she thinks they are hers.” Fran added.

Tiny feral kittens, scared after rescue

rescue ginger feral kittens scared

Then, they are greeted by Alice

rescue feral kittens meet alice the cat

She becomes their surrogate mom

rescue feral kittens meet alice the cat

“I protect you!”

rescue feral kitten cuddles with alice the cat

She cleans them and lets them nurse on her.

rescue feral kitten cuddles with alice the cat

rescue feral kitten cuddles with alice the cat

“I teach you to walk.”

alice the cat teaches ginger kitten to walk

Alice just loves those kittens – she thinks they are hers.

cute alice the cat mothering ginger rescue kittens

cute alice the cat mothering rescue ginger kittens

Photos courtesy of ©Fran Wylie (flickr: Cats 73).

Sponsored Links

33 Responses to “Rescue Feral Ginger Kittens Get New Surrogate Mom”

1. Alisa says:

I just love this. Alice and the kittens are very sweet and if you dont decide to keep her, I hope Alice gets the wonderful home she deserves (and the kittens too)!

2. Sherry says:

From scared to happy. It is clear the little ones love Alice and she loves them. :-)

3. Dee says:

Oh my goodness, I can’t take it anymore, they are SOOO adorable!! I wish I could take all of them. And IF in the feline world fur would denote kinship, then they definitely look like her brood. What a great surrogate mama Alice is.

4. Janet says:

I Love Alice and her “Babies” :) So cute! Thank you for saving as many kitties as you can :)

5. Audrey says:

Oh, I’m melting alright! What a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing.

6. Preston says:

She sure is a beautiful cat. How sweet.

7. Laura says:

Beautiful story!!! I’ve got tears in my eyes! Tears of joy!

8. katie k says:

Beautiful mom and adorable kitties,so sweet that she is caring for them, animals are amazing!!

9. nnua says:

How excellent for both Alice & the little ones!!!

10. Karen says:

Great story! I have a rescue cat that loves our foster kittens too…only he’s a male. He teaches them all about being a cat – from litter box to playing. When we don’t have fosters, he’s miserable and lets us know it! Thank goodness for cats like Alice!!

11. caturday says:

this is love..trully love!

12. curator says:

Oh I think I am going to cry.

13. kitty kat says:

they need all need to stay together… as a family.

14. Debra Olsen says:

:-) SooooooooSweet!!! :-)

Come here, little baby. How cute!.

16. Faye says:

MELTING form the cuteness!!! Alice is a real “Mom”, and it is so heartwarming to see how the kittens respond to her care.

Know they will adopt good people, and Bless You for taking Alice and the kittens in to give them a chance.

The New Orleans Kitties

17. Katie Isabella says:

Precious precous precious.

18. Deb says:

I do so enjoy a happy story. Alice seems to have a heart of gold and very worthy of her home, which may hopefully turn into a furrever home for her.

19. Patricia says:

I always marvel how mothers from the animal world know exactly what to do and step up to do it even when it’s different species. I never tire of those kind of stories.

20. Tucker says:

I PRAY THEY ARE ALL YOURS!! THAT YOU ADOPT THEM!!IT WOULD BE GREAT FOR THEM TO ALL STAY TOGETHER, FOREVER!!!!!!!!

VERY CUUUUUTE!!

ONE OF MY CATS DID THAT WITH A STRAY CAT
    THAT HAD KITTENS BEHIND MY HOUSE!!

21. JR says:

beautiful story. Alice needs to be keept and used as a surraget mom. Alice is a beautiful baby and the gingies are beautiful.

22. nnua says:

oh sooo sweet!!!

23. nina lyn lansa says:

beautiful cats :)

24. indee says:

What an amazing story. It was meant to be! A very happy ending. God bless and best wishes for all .

25. WingCommanderMeowy says:

Stories like these, older cats like Alice & people like Fran, her dad & all the animal rescuers out there are the only things I love about this world & life in general. If I won the lottery, I dream of being able to help animal rescue places that actually help animals & humans find each other hopefully in a huge way. <3

I too, came into caring for cats from rescuing. First was a ginger kitty that looked exactly like one of those above & named him Jocef when I was a teenager. Though he ran away because the cat food at the neighbours tasted better, lol. It was ok though, because he was ALOT bigger when we finally found him, he was in the neighbours that have been rescuing strays for years. He was healthier, & happier (he had more kitty friends) too. I felt like I was in heaven when a ginger boy responded to the name Jocef but still broken hearted that he didn't stay with me forever. So when I finally got myself stable, lovely house, & knew I can buy litter regularly, I went to the local rescue place for older cats straight away. Lo & behold I was "chosen" by one of the 7 year old boys straight away so he went home with me right there & then, lol. Nearly a year after, he still seemed sad so despite the advice of the woman running the rescue place that older cats don't like living with other cats in general, I got my boy a little sister & now they're inseparable!! <3

26. Emily says:

Aww, it must be awesome having a wonderful cat like Alice around to show kittens the ins and outs of being a cat. (: I don’t know about you, but I probably wouldn’t be able to adopt her our after seeing what a sweetheart she is. :D

27. Ellen Cole says:

Beautiful story of mother love! Alice is a true treasure, and her little surrogate kittens couldn’t be any cuter. Thanks for sharing this heartwarming tale and these adorable pictures.

28. Caroline says:

Every foster carer need a wonderful cat like Alice, because every kitten needs a mama cat to teach them about life. Fran you are a truly wonderful human being!

29. Fiona says:

I took in a feral kitten and my (then) year old cat took to her right away, carrying her around and washing her like her own little dolly. They still have that mother/daughter relationship.

30. sepia says:

ginger kittens are he or she?

31. carole says:

thank you for sharing that wonderful story.

32. susan says:

They are all so beautiful thank you for caring