Saved by Stroke of Luck: Calico Kitten Rescued from Moving Mercedes

This adorable calico was given a second chance at life by a stroke of luck. Brooklyn-based photographer, Antonio M. Rosario, noticed a tiny kitten hiding under the hood of a Mercedes. “If we had been a minute off in any direction, this would never have happened,” Rosario told TODAY.com.

cute rescue calico kitten Mercedes

She was named Mercedes. Not only did she find a second chance at life, she now lives happily with the person who saved her.

Here is the full story courtesy of Antonio M. Rosario:

So, here’s the story about Mercedes the kitten.

We’re driving along Ocean Parkway, headed to Brighton Beach for a morning at the beach. Sometime while we’re driving (I’m in the passenger seat) I hear what sounds like a cat crying. I don’t pay it that much mind as I figure we’re passing by some alley cats or something. Then, a little later when we hit a stoplight, I hear the sound again. This time I think that we have a cat in our car. I look out behind me and out the window and in the adjacent lane is see a Mercedes s550 with its left front turn signal light missing from the housing. In this housing is the little face of a kitten crying.

Whoa! I open the window and wave at the woman driving the car. I grab her attention and point to the front of her car. “You have a cat inside your car!” I yell. She rolls down her window and I yell at her again. “What should I do? Is it dead?” she says. “No, pull over there,” I yell back.

cute rescue calico mercedes and photographer Antonio M. Rosario

Me and Mercedes

We both pull over to the service road on Ocean Parkway and like Avenue U or something. I tell her to shut down her engine. She does and gets out of the car and moves like 20 feet away, as if the car is on fire or something. I tell her again that there’s a cat in her car and ask her to pop open the hood. She has no idea how to do this. I can see the kitten sitting inside the housing where the turn signal lamp should be. She’s staring at me and I reach in to grab her and she disappears further into the engine.

At this point, we’re attracting a small crowd. I’m asking people’s who walk by if they know how to open the hood of the car so we can rescue the kitten. Two guys get into the car and are searching for the hood release while I’m trying to reach in for the kitten.

We all have iPhones, so we start Googling how to open the hood of an s550. In the mean time, I ask the woman who’s driving to call someone to ask them how to open the hood. This goes on for a while.

rescue calico kitten mercedes

Mercedes in the car after her rescue

Suddenly, I see a paw protruding from the right front part of the car, near the turn signal housing. It’s limp. Elizabeth and I fear the kitten is dead because the engine was so hot. I push at the paw and shove it back inside the housing. The kitten could not come out that way anyway. I could feel it and I poked it a bit and it started crying again.

The driver said to me, along with some of the other people who were there (they may have known the driver) that it was now ok and we could go and she would either drive over to the mechanic or the police would take care of it. We did not agree that it was fine. We told her if she started the car it would kill the kitten for sure. I don’t think they were being malevolent in any way, I just don’t think they knew what to do. Some other guys also cautioned about starting the car.

Now the kitten was crying. We finally got the hood open and I could finally see the kitten had moved a bit more towards the center of the car, between the radiator and the fan. She was looking up at us. I tried to reach my arm down, but there was not enough room and I kept burning myself on the radiator cap. Anothe guy started tapping underneath the car in order to scare her back towards the open housing on the left side of the car. That’s when she decided to take a left turn and head further into the engine block, out of our sight. CRAP!!!!!

cute rescue calico cat Mercedes

Mercedes relaxing after her first night with us

One of the guys helping saw her and said she was near an opening that she could climb down and exit the engine. I got on the ground and pushed myself under the car as much as I could. I saw the hole and a little bit of fur. I asked Elizabeth for some of her breakfast scone so that I might entice her to eat. The driver said she had some ground beef from the supermarket, so I took some of that too. I shoved my arm under the car and held the meat up to the hole. I could see the kitten and she became interested in the meat. She first poked her head out of the hole. I told everyone to be quiet so we wouldn’t scare her back into the engine. Finally she dropped one leg down then another. Finally, she dropped out of the hole and I grabbed her firmly and quick.

Gotchya!!!!!!

We had a small crowd gathered and I’m holding her against my chest. Everyone’s thanking us and we’re thanking them, and the driver was relieved and happy. “Are you going to keep her?” a guy asked. What do you think was our answer.

We all agreed that she should be named Mercedes. Merci (Mercy) for short.

Welcome to our world Merci. What a start!

cute rescue calico cat Mercedes

EPILOGUE

We drove her right to the vet. She seems pretty healthy. Some conjunctivitis in her eyes. Maybe some worms. Possibly a few fleas if any. No feline leukemia (they have a 5-minute test they do now). She was starving and the vet gave her a can of food which she vacuumed down. No RFID tag under her skin. So things look good for her, at the moment. She’s now installed in one of our bathrooms, separated from the Men who, so far, haven’t freaked out.

More updates, photos and videos at Antonio M. Rosario Photography.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

57 Responses to “Saved by Stroke of Luck: Calico Kitten Rescued from Moving Mercedes”

1. Natalia says:

what a lovely story!! thank you for taking care of her, you must be a very good man!! she is sooo pretty :)

2. Kitty says:

What an amazing rescue

3. siew eng says:

nail-biting! thank goodness it was a success.

4. Ingrid says:

What amazing story. She is a precious and lucky baby. I hope you have many healthy and happy years together.

5. Maysoun says:

a lovely rescue story

6. levi says:

that baby will thank and love you forever….that act of kindness is really beyond words…

7. Gretchen says:

Love this story. Mercedes is a lovely, lucky kitten!

8. jule1 says:

Thank God for you and others like you who have the compassion to save a little, helpless kitten. And what was that woman thinking, to restart the car? Do people seriously have zero common sense? So glad you and the others convinced her to stay put while you figure out a way to extract the kitten.

Lucky little Mercedes!

• Daniel says:

Sadly, common sense isn’t common at all. The woman was likely scared, flustered, and nervous. She almost certainly felt like she’d lost control of the situation and wanted to get back into control of it by taking charge, even if her idea was a rather stupid one.

9. artemis133 says:

What a great story! Pretty pretty cat, and wonderful people who saved her!

10. Shelly Lyon says:

She was definitely meant to be yours!

11. C says:

I love a good ending! Hooray for Merci!! Cute little girl. :)

12. Thats so awesome way to go!!!! Lucky little girl!!!

13. Linda says:

Warm cars are so dangerous for cats, especially kittens who can squirm up into tight places. People who own cats or live in neighborhoods with cats around should make a habit of checking under their hoods before driving. Again, kittens especially often seek the warmth and shelter of a car motor. Thank you for the excellent account of Mercedes’ “adventure.”

14. Koala says:

Great story! Am now following him on Pinterest [he’s a photographer as well as a kitty rescue expert]. Thank you kind sir =^..^=

15. Martha Gouin says:

Nice rescue.

16. Natasha says:

that is one amazing rescue story. I so glad you got her out of the car finally. Also glad she is ok. God made sure you saw her so you could rescue her and save her life :) Merci is one beautiful little kitty.

17. Jazzpjd says:

you’re an amazing human- no wonder she already trusts you. Bright blessings to the whole household!

18. beckyl says:

awesome story! and what a gorgeous little calico! what a beauty

19. nnua says:

What an adventure with a happy ending! Mercy looks contented ^-^

20. nuomineko says:

Thank you for saving her! She’s a gorgeous kitty.:D

21. Ingrid says:

Oh thank you so much for helping this adorable kitten out of this car! Thank you for sharing her life now :)

22. vix says:

Thank God for people willing to save a life, however small!

23. katie k says:

What a great rescue story, thanks to all who took part in the rescue, and thanks to you for taking her in!!Please keep us updated!!

Day D and hour H for Mercedes, Thank you all for rescuing this precious kitty!.

25. fairlady68 says:

So precious to read about these tough New York dudes all gathering to help rescue this little baby kitty…and who said Gothamites don’t have any heart? (Not me!) The Lord had mercy on little Mercedes (which means “mercies” in Spanish)…and He will have mercy on you for your kindness. Never mind that she is such a GORGEOUS little girl….From Mercedes to Tesoro (treasure)!

26. Jen says:

This is such an amazing rescue, and I am so grateful that there are people like you! She is safe and loved, that is so important! :)

27. Rozy says:

Blessed you all for taking the time n patience to rescue the kitten. It’s quite a suspense story with good endings . You are just meant to be together.

28. Iffat says:

Mercedes is breathtaking, her markings are stellar.
    What an amazing story. Thank you for your perserverence in saving this beauty & giving her a safe & loving home.

29. Deb says:

Thankfully you have great hearing – for it saved a very special life!

30. monica says:

OMGODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD I couldnt read this story fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!! What a suspense!!! I just love all these wonderful guys who not only went thru the trouble to save this little life, they then showered her with love, TLC and gave her a home!!!! What a happy ending!! Each happy ending helps restore my faith a little more!!! Thanks Guys!!

31. elaine lively says:

thank you for your kindness and perseverence in rescuing Merci!and most of all for giving her a home!!

32. Pamela says:

What a beautiful story and thank you so much for your efforts to rescue little Merci! I was not so lucky yesterday with an abandoned kitten I found under a car in my parents’ driveway. My trip to the vet was not a happy one and we had to let the little kitten go, but your story made my day. Thank you again and I’m so happy Merci was lucky enough to be found by such loving and caring owners!

33. Patrick says:

Good job! You care a lot about little creatures to take all that time to rescue him/her. I’ve done a few of those myself through the years. Glad to see there are some of you still out there. :)

34. Audrey says:

Bless you Antonio for saving this beautiful kitten. May you have many happy years together.

35. karen says:

OMG! What an incredible story! I’m so glad Antonio didn’t give up on that situation and that kitten! Thank you for sharing the story!!

36. Laura says:

Wow! I could feel the urgency in your story, my stomach was turning the whole time! God bless you and your precious little Merci <3

37. Angela says:

What an awesome story and a beautiful kitten!

38. JR says:

Merci looks very happy and continted. god bless Antonio and the others who helped resique her

39. Debra Olsen says:

What a story…so glad she’s safe & has a bright future to look forward to. :-)

40. Lisa says:

Antonio is a hero!

41. Chris H says:

She’s so beautiful Thank you so for caring for her. She is a treasure.

42. kathy v says:

thank you for caring,I am sure any one else would have let her die.you such a kind man..she
    will love u with all her kitty kisses =^.^=

43. Freya says:

You, sir, are awesome.

Thank you for being such a generously spirited individual, your parents must be proud. :)

Please keep up the good acts; I hope Merci realizes how fortunate she is in finding you (or vice-versa!)…

44. Carene Williams says:

You saved a furr-babies life that day, and you will be rewarded with many years of lovefrom your litte Merci!!!!!!! xx

45. Starla says:

You are a wonderful person to save such a beautiful and helpless baby. God bless you! Mercy is so lucky to have you. :’-)

46. indee says:

congratulations on so many levels!!!!!! This little girl is amazingly beautiful and fortunate that you saved her life. God bless.

47. Julia says:

wow sounds like my cat rode an engine for 3-4 hours and never fell, got crushed, or got run over. now he is safe at home!

48. jeanine says:

i once rescued a kitten from a car engine, and like this one, she did NOT want to come out. it took an hour and we had to resort to jacking up the care and myself crawling under it to pull her out. i kept her for a while but she was too feral and eventually disappeared. she was a darling though huge ears, dark grey tabby, I had named her Sonata …

49. heather says:

Awwww thank god she was ok.she is so cute

50. Monica says:

She is just sooooo beautiful!

51. KateM says:

I’ll add my thanks to all the others’ — you’re a good human, Antonio, along with all the other rescuers.

52. Sara says:

Thank God that she was able to get out of the engine of the car…. this little girl could have been hurt a lot worse…. But what an incredible story…. and that name just fits her very nicely….

53. Maremma says:

Oh what a beautiful little baby! Thank you so much for fighting so hard to save her!

54. C says:

Such colors on the little sweetie!

55. Ashley says:

I love her markings. Thank you for rescuing her. She will always be grateful.

56. Suzanne says:

What a beautiful kitty, and what a great story! I had to chuckle that no one knew how to pop the hood on the car! Thank goodness you were able to get her out of that dangerous situation. I went to your site, but didn’t see any photos of your new furbaby. Want some! :)