Story of Chester: Journey to A Full Recovery

When Chester the ginger cat was adopted from the shelter, his new family realized there was still much work to be done to help the little ginger get back on his paws. They found out that Chester needed a lot of medical treatment and surgery, but they never gave up on Chester no matter what. It changed his life forever. This is Chester’s journey to a full recovery:

On January 30, 2012. The night when Chester was adopted. It was love from the very start.

rescue ginger cat chester

“He couldn’t lay in any other position, never played, never ate, and was always sick.” They started taking him to a vet since beginning, but they weren’t helpful.

rescue ginger cat chester

4 months later, they switched to another vet who found out what happened to Chester. The little guy had been hit by a car in the past. “He had a chronic diaphragmatic hernia and needed expensive and risky surgery to live a full life.” The couple packed up and drove all the way from Canada to Washington State University.

rescue ginger cat chester

After the surgery, Chester was in rough shape and put in ICU for 6 days. The couple camped in a park in their car while waiting. They visited Chester twice a day to give him all the love and comfort they could supply.

rescue ginger cat chester

The vets at WSU fell in love with Chester, and made him a custom eye mask out of gauze so he could get some sleep and recover.

rescue ginger cat chester

The surgeon told the couple that the injury was most likely caused by a car accident at least a year before the surgery. “So he was living on the streets in this condition for at least 7 months. The strength it took to stay alive for that long while being basically paralyzed, I will never understand,” said Chester’s human dad.

rescue ginger cat chester

Home sweet home. ”Lots of heat packs for faster recovery.” He was very tiny at the time.

rescue ginger cat chester

“because of the blood pressure crash, blood couldn’t get to his back right foot.” But they were able to save most of it. The couple couldn’t afford any more surgery, so they started a fundraiser.

rescue ginger cat chester

“Three weeks later, the surgery was paid for and Chester had two less toes.”

rescue ginger cat chester

They cleaned his foot and changed a new bandage for him three times a week.

rescue ginger cat chester

Sometimes he gets to clean it himself.

rescue ginger cat chester

Before surgery, he wasn’t able to lay on his back, but now he can do whatever he wants whenever he wants.

rescue ginger cat chester

“His foot is fully healed, he can sleep comfortably, and he’s gained 2 kg (4.4 lbs) since his stomach can now expand properly.”

rescue ginger cat chester

He can even play with other cats like a boss

rescue ginger cat chester

“A year later, healthier than ever, happy and loved.”

Photos via imgur.

99 Responses to “Story of Chester: Journey to A Full Recovery”

1. kaytee says:

I’m so happy that Chester has a family who care so much about him. What a beautiful boy he is.

2. Lydia says:

Bless you sweet Chester and your loving parents!! I’m moved to tears by the dedication and love of Chester’s hoomans. Thank you for loving and taking care of Chester the way you have!

3. Nicole says:

What a beautiful story. Chester was definitely adopted by the right family. He is a lucky boy!

4. suzannakins says:

These are wonderful people. Thank you for the love and care you gave Chester.

5. Mimi's Mom says:

What a touching story! And Chester looks just like my Mimi! Love Chester and his human guardians!

6. mike says:

This made me cry :-(

Amazing, wonderful story. Thank you for saving this beautiful little Chester!!!!

7. Ingrid Gordon says:

great story.

8. jpc says:

Look at that baby. I wish the planet were filled with people like Chester’s parents.

9. Faye says:

You are Angels on earth to have taken so much of your time and money to save Chester!!! What a journey it has been for all of you, and the last photo shows it was all worth it – seeing Chester so healthy and happy.

Faye and The New Orleans Kitties

10. Donna Cook says:

Wonderful story of love by Chester’s people and wonderful story of strength on Chester’s part. May he live a long and happy life in his forever home.

11. Blue Wolf says:

What an awesome story! What a great mommy and daddy Chester got adopted by! What a beautiful soul Chester is.

12. Felipe Lemos says:

Wonderful story, almost made a man cries =).

13. Gloria Downey says:

With all the negative news we read lately, it does my heart good to read a story like this. I have 16 rescued cats I have given a forever home to. Some of them were very sick. I know how much patience and love it takes to bring these little souls back to health. Bless you. Give Chester a big hug from me :)

14. Patricia Brown says:

wonderful what love and proper care can do for someone.

15. Historian says:

What a wonderful couple to do this for their cat!

16. Lauren says:

This story is so moving. Thank God that Chester was found by people who were so dedicated to helping him, no matter what it cost, because kitties deserve to have the full medical care they need to be happy, healthy, and fully recovered, just like humans do. I’m so glad that they were able to save his foot!

What a hard time Chester must have had. :( I just want to hug this cat. Poor sweetie. He must have a strong will to live.

God bless the angels that adopted him and all the vets that helped to nurse him back to health. You deserve a special place in Heaven.

17. dinah says:

omg what wonderful people to care for their adorable cat like this..loved the pic of him setting between them in the car,how many cats do that so calmly..made tears come to my eyes,so glad he is doing great..

18. Sandie F says:

Chester is So lucky to have found a family this good to him!!!! You’re a lucky puddy, Chester!!!

19. rocky says:

What a story and what amazaing people to have helped Chester. Thank you for giving “life” to Chester.
    Rocky and Poria

20. ida says:

seriously, my new cat Elmo look EXACTLY like chester! even the markings!

21. rezgirl says:

This amazing and moving story brought tears to my eyes not only because Chester was so sick and suffered for so many months but the couple that never gave up on him. Chester has a strong will to live and ALL the tendering loving care he is getting is helping his spirit. Thank you and bless you mom and dad for giving Chester a chance at life. :-) <3

22. Peggy K. says:

Bless Chester’s parents for being loving and generous. Spending money on a pet is never, ever a waste! I would have done the same. It’s a miracle that he lived as long as he did and in such pain. He knew he’d find a good family.

23. Valerie Hooker says:

This story made me cry, how beautiful and truly heart warming. Such a beautiful boy and amazing parents.

24. Liza says:

I agree with the above postings. What a heartwarming story!

25. Ivey says:

Beautiful story! Thank you for sharing.

26. karen b says:

It makes me feel so much better to know there are kind and compassionate humans like this couple out there. They recognize the life inside an animal is much like ours. Cat, dogs and other animals deserve our love and affection, and those who will go to extremes to help them are showing their true character!

27. siew eng says:

lovely family!

28. Sue Bee says:

Bless you, good people! You were troopers to do everything you did and still are going for Chester!

29. Carol says:

God bless you for taking in this little angel and helping him to be whole again. With my own health failing now the angels I have rescued are tending to their mommy. Pumpkin my little ginger that looks like Chester, kissed away my tears this afternoon. So thankful as I start my journey as a Lymphoma survivor…

• Gordon says:

Sorry to hear about your health Carol hope you find much comfort in your feline friends

I agree with all comments above, great to see decent loving people caring for Chester

30. Amparo says:

Thank you Chester’s parents for not giving up on him!!! God bless you all.

31. Sherry says:

Chester got the most wonderful family any kitty could want. God bless them for saving him and making his life so great.

32. It is a wonderful story! What an awesome couple that adopted him . He looks like my Johnny. God bless them all !

33. Fernanda says:

Im so happy to know that there are awesome people like this in the world. Chester is very handsome! I love the eye mask! :D

34. Shelly Lyon says:

Darling Chester found the perfect family. May you have many more years together in comfort and happiness!

35. Lita says:

thank you for caring and loving this little guy. Thank you for giving him his second chance <3 God bless

36. Julie says:

Awesome story! Sounds like Chester has a wonderful furever home. Glad to see Chester’s mom wearing a Michigan State University shirt. As a fellow Spartans, I can tell you Spartans have HUGE hearts!!!

37. azmiy says:

it’s good to know that there are still awesome people out there. you guys rock!

38. J says:

What an amazing story! Such a dedicated couple.

39. Katelyn says:

Chester is a very lucky boy! Glad he found a home with people who were willing to take such good care of him <3

40. Prita says:

Such a wonderful story…. God bless Chester and his wonderful, loving hoomans!