Story of Chester: Journey to A Full Recovery

When Chester the ginger cat was adopted from the shelter, his new family realized there was still much work to be done to help the little ginger get back on his paws. They found out that Chester needed a lot of medical treatment and surgery, but they never gave up on Chester no matter what. It changed his life forever. This is Chester’s journey to a full recovery:

On January 30, 2012. The night when Chester was adopted. It was love from the very start.

rescue ginger cat chester

“He couldn’t lay in any other position, never played, never ate, and was always sick.” They started taking him to a vet since beginning, but they weren’t helpful.

rescue ginger cat chester

4 months later, they switched to another vet who found out what happened to Chester. The little guy had been hit by a car in the past. “He had a chronic diaphragmatic hernia and needed expensive and risky surgery to live a full life.” The couple packed up and drove all the way from Canada to Washington State University.

rescue ginger cat chester

After the surgery, Chester was in rough shape and put in ICU for 6 days. The couple camped in a park in their car while waiting. They visited Chester twice a day to give him all the love and comfort they could supply.

rescue ginger cat chester

The vets at WSU fell in love with Chester, and made him a custom eye mask out of gauze so he could get some sleep and recover.

rescue ginger cat chester

The surgeon told the couple that the injury was most likely caused by a car accident at least a year before the surgery. “So he was living on the streets in this condition for at least 7 months. The strength it took to stay alive for that long while being basically paralyzed, I will never understand,” said Chester’s human dad.

rescue ginger cat chester

Home sweet home. “Lots of heat packs for faster recovery.” He was very tiny at the time.

rescue ginger cat chester

“because of the blood pressure crash, blood couldn’t get to his back right foot.” But they were able to save most of it. The couple couldn’t afford any more surgery, so they started a fundraiser.

rescue ginger cat chester

“Three weeks later, the surgery was paid for and Chester had two less toes.”

rescue ginger cat chester

They cleaned his foot and changed a new bandage for him three times a week.

rescue ginger cat chester

Sometimes he gets to clean it himself.

rescue ginger cat chester

Before surgery, he wasn’t able to lay on his back, but now he can do whatever he wants whenever he wants.

rescue ginger cat chester

“His foot is fully healed, he can sleep comfortably, and he’s gained 2 kg (4.4 lbs) since his stomach can now expand properly.”

rescue ginger cat chester

He can even play with other cats like a boss

rescue ginger cat chester

“A year later, healthier than ever, happy and loved.”

Photos via imgur.

Sponsored Links

99 Responses to “Story of Chester: Journey to A Full Recovery”

1. kaytee says:

I’m so happy that Chester has a family who care so much about him. What a beautiful boy he is.

2. Lydia says:

Bless you sweet Chester and your loving parents!! I’m moved to tears by the dedication and love of Chester’s hoomans. Thank you for loving and taking care of Chester the way you have!

3. Nicole says:

What a beautiful story. Chester was definitely adopted by the right family. He is a lucky boy!

4. suzannakins says:

These are wonderful people. Thank you for the love and care you gave Chester.

5. Mimi's Mom says:

What a touching story! And Chester looks just like my Mimi! Love Chester and his human guardians!

6. mike says:

This made me cry :-(

Amazing, wonderful story. Thank you for saving this beautiful little Chester!!!!

7. Ingrid Gordon says:

great story.

8. jpc says:

Look at that baby. I wish the planet were filled with people like Chester’s parents.

9. Faye says:

You are Angels on earth to have taken so much of your time and money to save Chester!!! What a journey it has been for all of you, and the last photo shows it was all worth it – seeing Chester so healthy and happy.

Faye and The New Orleans Kitties

10. Donna Cook says:

Wonderful story of love by Chester’s people and wonderful story of strength on Chester’s part. May he live a long and happy life in his forever home.

11. Blue Wolf says:

What an awesome story! What a great mommy and daddy Chester got adopted by! What a beautiful soul Chester is.

12. Felipe Lemos says:

Wonderful story, almost made a man cries =).

13. Gloria Downey says:

With all the negative news we read lately, it does my heart good to read a story like this. I have 16 rescued cats I have given a forever home to. Some of them were very sick. I know how much patience and love it takes to bring these little souls back to health. Bless you. Give Chester a big hug from me :)

14. Patricia Brown says:

wonderful what love and proper care can do for someone.

15. Historian says:

What a wonderful couple to do this for their cat!

16. Lauren says:

This story is so moving. Thank God that Chester was found by people who were so dedicated to helping him, no matter what it cost, because kitties deserve to have the full medical care they need to be happy, healthy, and fully recovered, just like humans do. I’m so glad that they were able to save his foot!

What a hard time Chester must have had. :( I just want to hug this cat. Poor sweetie. He must have a strong will to live.

God bless the angels that adopted him and all the vets that helped to nurse him back to health. You deserve a special place in Heaven.

17. dinah says:

omg what wonderful people to care for their adorable cat like this..loved the pic of him setting between them in the car,how many cats do that so calmly..made tears come to my eyes,so glad he is doing great..

18. Sandie F says:

Chester is So lucky to have found a family this good to him!!!! You’re a lucky puddy, Chester!!!

19. rocky says:

What a story and what amazaing people to have helped Chester. Thank you for giving “life” to Chester.
    Rocky and Poria

20. ida says:

seriously, my new cat Elmo look EXACTLY like chester! even the markings!

21. rezgirl says:

This amazing and moving story brought tears to my eyes not only because Chester was so sick and suffered for so many months but the couple that never gave up on him. Chester has a strong will to live and ALL the tendering loving care he is getting is helping his spirit. Thank you and bless you mom and dad for giving Chester a chance at life. :-) <3

22. Peggy K. says:

Bless Chester’s parents for being loving and generous. Spending money on a pet is never, ever a waste! I would have done the same. It’s a miracle that he lived as long as he did and in such pain. He knew he’d find a good family.

23. Valerie Hooker says:

This story made me cry, how beautiful and truly heart warming. Such a beautiful boy and amazing parents.

24. Liza says:

I agree with the above postings. What a heartwarming story!

25. Ivey says:

Beautiful story! Thank you for sharing.

26. karen b says:

It makes me feel so much better to know there are kind and compassionate humans like this couple out there. They recognize the life inside an animal is much like ours. Cat, dogs and other animals deserve our love and affection, and those who will go to extremes to help them are showing their true character!

27. siew eng says:

lovely family!

28. Sue Bee says:

Bless you, good people! You were troopers to do everything you did and still are going for Chester!

29. Carol says:

God bless you for taking in this little angel and helping him to be whole again. With my own health failing now the angels I have rescued are tending to their mommy. Pumpkin my little ginger that looks like Chester, kissed away my tears this afternoon. So thankful as I start my journey as a Lymphoma survivor…

• Gordon says:

Sorry to hear about your health Carol hope you find much comfort in your feline friends

I agree with all comments above, great to see decent loving people caring for Chester

30. Amparo says:

Thank you Chester’s parents for not giving up on him!!! God bless you all.

31. Sherry says:

Chester got the most wonderful family any kitty could want. God bless them for saving him and making his life so great.

32. It is a wonderful story! What an awesome couple that adopted him . He looks like my Johnny. God bless them all !

33. Fernanda says:

Im so happy to know that there are awesome people like this in the world. Chester is very handsome! I love the eye mask! :D

34. Shelly Lyon says:

Darling Chester found the perfect family. May you have many more years together in comfort and happiness!

35. Lita says:

thank you for caring and loving this little guy. Thank you for giving him his second chance <3 God bless

36. Julie says:

Awesome story! Sounds like Chester has a wonderful furever home. Glad to see Chester’s mom wearing a Michigan State University shirt. As a fellow Spartans, I can tell you Spartans have HUGE hearts!!!

37. azmiy says:

it’s good to know that there are still awesome people out there. you guys rock!

38. J says:

What an amazing story! Such a dedicated couple.

39. Katelyn says:

Chester is a very lucky boy! Glad he found a home with people who were willing to take such good care of him <3

40. Prita says:

Such a wonderful story…. God bless Chester and his wonderful, loving hoomans!

41. Laurie says:

God bless Chester and his family! What a wonderful story, thanks for doing everything you could to give Chester a great life :)

42. Renee says:

That that is an AWESOME set of pet parents!! I love those who give ‘lost cause’ critters a new lease on life and fight for them – restores my faith in humanity.

43. Emma says:

What a wonderful story. Thank you so much you lovely, lovely people xx

44. Maria says:

I agree with everything already said. So I’ll mention something different: the picture of Chester at the vet’s with the eye mask on could/should be a sad picture but it’s not. And that’s because you can tell that he was loved and well taken care of while there. I love that little eye mask they made for him.

45. Gina says:

Looks like a fat and happy cat now! Bless you!

46. Koala says:

GREAT Story…..and those orange cats are so loyal and loving! I know, I have one. He is a moose. Just wait until Chester’s belly bag is fully developed. Plop! <3

47. caturday says:

GREAT STORY!!!…thanks :)

48. Rai says:

what a beautiful story :)

49. Bethani says:

Almost the exact story of my kitty Felix!! Only instead of a few toes he lost his tail and the first surgery to repair his completely torn diaphragm didn’t take. 6 months later it reopened. Now our sweet boy has half a liver and no gallbladder due to damage and infection. I wouldn’t trade him for the world <3 It's amazing how long Chester and Felix lived with such horrible injuries! God bless his amazing Purrents (owners)!!!! Does Chester have a Facebook page??

50. Sandra says:

OMG, I’m cryin’ now! What a wonderful story and such loving people to care for this beautiful baby through so much. Thank you for giving him his life back and loving him so much…a happy, sweet baby he is! ;)<3

51. Gene Ariani says:

Do these guys have a email. I really like to tell them what angels they are

52. jule1 says:

This is really an amazing story. So wonderful what this couple did for CHester. He looks so big and strong, now! It did take a lot of courage and perseverence for Chester to stay alive and thank God he got the right forever home to help him out. Fabulous outcome.

53. Della says:

Wonderful story!

54. Harriet says:

What a sweet and giving couple to help Chester recover completely. God will bless them for their kindness!

55. Nicole says:

Amazing people….

56. Natasha says:

Brave boy and blessings to Chester’s new family, with so many stories about cats being dumped and illtreated, lovely to read about people going out of their way to take care of their cat, you’re an example to many!

What a heart-melting story: Thanks to Chester’s dad and mom. And he’s becoming a really handsome kitty!!.

58. Gabrielle says:

Amazing people and amazing kitty! I wish all such stories end like that :)

59. Minakitty says:

I love these people. I have never met them but I absolutely adore them. :)

60. Cattywumpus says:

What a wonderful, heartwarming story.

61. Evs says:

this story made me sooooo happy!!!

62. JustBecky says:

Such a wonderful, happy ending! My favorite picture is Chester in his very own, custom-made sleep mask!

63. Sharon says:

What sweethearts – all of you!!

64. Nani says:

I love reading this story. Read it many times, and I cried everytime.

65. Barbara says:

That is one tough kitty. So glad he got a happy ending. He’s absolutely adorable.

66. So wonderful!! What a lovely cat and great hugs to his humans!! xx Natalie

67. sledpress says:

I too just love the new family who helped him all the way.

68. Dorothy says:

Many blessings to you both!!!

69. Tucker says:

GOD BLESS YOU CHESTER CAT!!
    LOOKING GREAT!! SOOOO HANDSOME!!!!

YOU ARE IN YOUR LOVING,CARING,SAFE,FOREVER FAMILY/HOME!!! WITH A LOVING FAMILY AND
    FAMILY THAT CARES FOR YOU!!!
    YOU ALSO HAVE YOUR FURRY FRIEND TO PLAY WITH!!!!

YOU ARE ALL HEALED NOW AND WILL CONTINUE YOUR GREAT LIFE!!!!!

IT IS HAPPY DANCE TIME IN HONOR OF CHESTER CAT!!! YEAH!!!! MEEEEOW!!!!

YEAH!!!

70. Sue says:

Awesome to save this cool cat! Amazing he lived long enough for you to give him a home forever!

71. cindy jackson says:

He is an amazing kitty & thank u 4 taking him in & getting him better 2 have a wonderful life

72. Hana says:

Oh, poor, poor Chester on how much he has been through and still is. But bless this couple for doing all they can to bring Chester back to good health. Chester well deserves this wonderful family. Purrs to all.

73. Anna says:

Amaaaaazing humans! Such dedication, Chester is blessed to have them x

74. What a wonderful story and God bless you all for helping gorgeous little Chester. You will always be blessed as well.

75. Marty says:

What a fabulous story! Bless you for saving his life! You are truly an animal/cat lover!

76. Debra says:

Chester has Angels looking over him.

77. linda says:

chester is a very lucky boy to have found such devoted parents and a vet that cared. he . looks just like my ginger cat tiny/ well done to his loving humans

78. Anya says:

What wonderful people – what a wonderful story! Lucky boy!

79. Hanna says:

Bless his human friends! It restores a little of my faith in humanity when I hear about wonderful actions and caring like this. He was a lucky little guy to have met them. <3

80. Sue says:

<3 True loving cat parents!!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful story :)

81. Tami says:

You guys are amazing caring for Chester not many people would do that give Chester a hug for me he deserves lots of then for being a brave kitty.

82. Tina1649 says:

Bless you for saving Chester and giving him a loving home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

83. Kathy says:

You guys are the best of the best. What a loving family Chester has found – and how fortunate he is. May you all have happy healthy lives :)

84. brenda says:

You guys are so precious! GOD BLESS BOTH OF YOU! This just made me cry, because I love cats so much and I do the same thing.

85. vickie says:

wonderful outcome for a sweet boy kitty!!!He had 2 angels helping him….

86. ursulina says:

What incredible owners Chester has. he’s such a lucky cat to have been adopted by these kinda folks. May they never want for anything.

87. Nancy Sandoval says:

What a terrific kitty who is incredibly lucky, to have found people that were so willing to get him feeling good. I hope that they all live wonderful lives which find nothing but happiness.

88. victoria says:

Wonderful,blessed story GOD Bless Chester!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

89. tricia says:

We need more people like this couple in the world. What a wonderful story.

90. Patricia Brown says:

wonderful what love and help from friends can do

91. indee says:

what wonderful guardians you are to stay hopeful and devote all the effort it took to restore Chester to a healthy wonderful life again. He deserves it and you certainly have been blessed with the presence of an extraordinary little kitty with an incredibly strong will to live. You gave him his life back. God bless you. this is one of the most beautiful stories i have read here on Love Meow. You guys are amazing.

92. Ming says:

This is such a beautiful story. The couple and the people who looked after Chester are awesome!

93. Iffat says:

Chester has the best parents ever, lucky boy!

94. LizR says:

Wonderful story and wonderful people for doing all they could for this beautiful boy.
    For all the bad people in this world, these folks prove that there are peeps out there doing the right thing by animals.
    A fantastic story – thank you for sharing

95. Loves LoveMeow says:

Amazing! Thank you for these stories!!!!!

96. Tina Stockton says:

Chester is a very fortunate cat to have such caring parents and his parents are fortunate to have Chester in their lives!!!!