10 Year Old Boy Courageously Saves Cat From Abuse

A 10 year old boy Wendell Overton of Manteo, North Carolina received praise from the Outer Banks SPCA for saving a stray cat from a group of bullies.

cat rescued by 10 year old boy Wendell Overton from bullies

Wendell Overton

Though Overton is young, he was watching out for the kitty and stood up for his furry friend when he encountered three boys, age 5 – 13, doing horrendous things to the cat.

Wendell courageously stepped in to stop the attack and brought the kitty home to his mother. “Wendell confronted the boys and took the cat home where he and his mother called us,” Outer Banks SPCA wrote on Facebook.

The cat, now named Jackson, got some bruising and cuts to his paws, but is expected to make a full recovery thanks to his brave young human friend who rescued him from the abuse.

“Jackson, the cat saved by Wendell’s compassion and bravery. He is recovering well, resting comfortably, eating like a king and will be looking for a new home soon,” the shelter added. “Wendell and Jackson’s story has touched so many hearts already. Words cannot express our gratitude, and I can only imagine how grateful Jackson must be! Thank you both for being heroes. It is truly people like you and Wendell who make the world a better place.”

Jackson the cat was saved by Wendell Overton, a courageous 10 year old boy, from bullies

cat rescued by 10 year old boy Wendell Overton from bullies

“Thank you for saving me.”

boy rescues cat from bullies

Jackson is expected to make a full recovery and is waiting for his forever home at Outer Banks SPCA

cat rescued by 10 year old boy Wendell Overton from bullies

Watch video:

Source: WVEC.com.

Sponsored Links

100 Responses to “10 Year Old Boy Courageously Saves Cat From Abuse”

1. Colleen says:

Bravo to this young man who had the courage to stand up to the bullies and save this sweet cat. We need more kids like him in the world.

2. Sherry says:

What a great kid! His Mother did a wonderful job!

3. Gareth says:

Good lad. Very brave to stand up to bullies, if he didn’t it might well be a different story.

4. Angela says:

He has all the makings for a super hero! I wish there were more people like him :)

5. Melissa says:

Wendell is an amazing human being! So few people stand up for what’s right, for fear of being the next victim. He’s a true hero.

6. Kelley Shell says:

It would be nice if the boys abusing the cat were somehow punished for their actions if they could be identified. Teaching them now might prevent worse behavior later. If you can abuse an animal you can def abuse a human….so sad but so happy this young man was there when Jackson needed him!

• fatkat says:

Exactly. what sick bastards (and I don’t care how old or young they were) would harm a defenseless animal? makes me angry and sad at the same time

• Christina says:

Kelley, my sentiments exactly. Why are these three boys not being tracked down and charged with animal cruelty? What is wrong with our society these days? The stories I read every day keep getting worse, and the children committing horrendous crimes (to both people and animals) keep getting younger. Yet most get a slap on the wrist, if anything, and they are free to abuse & torture others once again. Thank you to the young boy who stood up to the bullies and did the right thing by saving the sweet cat, even though he could have easily been their next victim.

7. jessy says:

you are wonderful, Wendell!!!! if only all kids your age were as brave and amazing as you are! and, good job mom!!

8. Vanessa says:

All who abuse animals should go to prison – no matter how young they are.

• mike says:

I think they should just be lined up against a wall and shot to death. Scumbags.

• Carole says:

I agree that anyone who abuses animals should be in jail. Anyone that evil, no matter how young they are, are a danger to society and are psychopaths. Thank God that Wendell rescued that precious cat from those bullies! He’s a hero. I wish I could adopt that sweet kittie.

9. Jane Hall says:

Great kid, precious cat. I do hope something was done to the bullies.

10. You are such a brave boy Wendell. It’s a beautiful thing man!!

11. Deb says:

I agree that anyone who tortures animals should be subject to some sort of equal terror.

12. Sofia Speri says:

What a brave kid!! It’s kids like Wendell that give me hope for the future. But this story is so upsetting. I hope the kids that were committing animal abuse will be brought to justice and get some serious help. If they aren’t, they will just victimize some other poor helpless creature.

13. Sue Bee says:

Wendell is being raised well! This boy will do well in life. I hope he gets a full ride scholarship to a great university; it’s what he deserves for being so brave!

14. Gabriella says:

I agree with Vanessa. It’s all the violence in movies and video games that encourage young boys to hurt animals. :( But kudos to Wendell and his family for doing the right thing! I wish more people would teach their kids compassion.

• The Koala says:

Animal abuse has been going on long before movies and video games ever existed. Place blame the where it belongs: on irresponsible, absentee parents who can’t be bothered to teach their children proper values and ethics.

Signed,

A gamer, staunch animal welfare advocate and mum to three lovely rescued fur babies.

• Luci says:

So the dog, rat, and cock fights that the Victorians loved were because of movies and video games?

Goat-head polo was invented by Mongols who played too much God of War?

The medieval practice of using cats in bottles for archery targets, that was from watching, like, Die Hard?

Animal abuse is a hideous and devastating problem today, but it was, in former days, an accepted thing that was not challenged, and pretty much every culture engaged in it relentlessly. We are slowly changing that, but it requires fighting ignorance and human nature.

Video games and TV have nothing to do with that. Nothing at all.

I’m an animal rescuer. I do good work. I also watch violent movies and shows, and play violent video games, and have since I was a child. One’s choice of NOT REAL-LIFE entertainment doesn’t make one a criminal or an animal abuser.

Please reconsider your ill-informed, knee-jerk opinions. Dislike whatever shows, movies, or games you wish, you don’t have to justify your personal preferences, but don’t blame something as brutal as animal abuse on it.

Gamers, geeks, and fannish folks are some of the gentlest and most animal friendly people you will ever, ever meet.

Those kids had much worse problems than too much Call of Duty.

• azazazazaz says:

I have to agree with Koala. There were plenty of genocides and animal abuse before video games and movies.

If anything, I’d say they might be an outlet for such urges and have probably saved a few lives from bored and sadistic individuals (while also entertaining the rest of us).

15. Preston says:

What a sweet, caring and brave young MAN, that is. Most boys his age would just join in. He is going places I promise you that. I am so glad Jackson is safe and will soon have a home.

• Margarita says:

What a wonderful, sweet, compassionate child! Momma did a fantastic job raising him! On his way to being a great adult! Keep it up Wendell! Good luck and all the best in life always!

16. Maysoun says:

bless them both cat and boy

17. Sweet says:

What a brave kid. He deserves an award. Dumb bullies. Kids who abuse helpless animals grow up to be monsters. Glad to know there’s a brave kid like him! :)

18. mike says:

Thank you, Wendell!

Now for the bullies, why are they not being thrown in prison, at the very least? Freaking scumbags.

19. Jenny says:

Good for him! He should be very proud of himself, and his mom should be very proud of him too. Kids can be cruel, and it takes a lot to not be one of the crowd.

20. Lauren says:

The bullies should be taken to therapy, not prison.

21. Debra Olsen says:

Wendell is a hero for sure to recognize & act according to his instincts, step into the crowd, & stand up for that helpless little creature Jackson. Incredible how some children as young as five or six have already learned that atrocious behavior of harming innocent animals. Congratulations to Wendell, he deserves high praises & many thanks from all of us animal lovers!!! :-) :-) :-)

22. rezgirl says:

Thank you brave young man Wendell!!! Because of you Jackson is alive. Now for the stupid dumb scumbags, they should be punished for their actions.

23. Caroline says:

Wonderful child, from an obviously wonderful family. Wonderful ending… well almost..I’d like to see those kids prosecuted though..

24. Cindy says:

The Outer Banks SPCA is accepting cards for the young man, so you can send a card or giftcard to him to thank him for being courageous. Write and let him know he did the right thing!!

25. Carol says:

What a wonderful kid Wendell is. His mother is doing a great job in raising such a fine young man. Jackson is a very lucky kitty indeed to have Wendell cross his path.
    As for the other kids….all I can say is future serial killers in the making if authorities don’t step up to the plate and take some action.

26. Sarah says:

What a young man he is! If those scumbags treat a helpless cat that way, how do they treat people? Sickening!

27. maria says:

thank you for saving Jackson and i hope he gets a forever home, thank you again

28. caturday says:

you are more than spiderman, superman or any other superheros.. Bravo!!

29. Lauren says:

Good for you, Wendell, for standing up to those bullies and saving a helpless kitty from harm. You are a true hero, and very brave! It takes courage to step up and speak out. God bless you. And God bless Wendell’s mother for raising her son right, for teaching him that all beings are to be treated with kindness and respect. If he continues on this good path, he will become a fine adult man one day.

I hope that those monstrous kids that were abusing Jackson are punished! I am horrified to the point of speechlessness to read about what they did to this poor cat; it is unimaginable cruelty. I can only imagine how they treat people if they treat a cat that way.

I wish Jackson a speedy recovery and that he finds a forever loving home soon! <3

30. Mal says:

Wendell is not a boy (any longer)… He’s a MAN!

31. ursulina says:

Way to go Wendell! You rock! You did the right thing and are so brave. I would love to see more kids like you.

32. Karen says:

I do believe there are studies that indicate kids who torture animals when they’re young, grow up to be abusive/serial killers.

Bravo to Wendell and his good upbringing!! :D It takes a lot of courage to deal with an animal’s injury, and a group of nasty boys.

33. Jill says:

Way to go Wendell! Thank you for showing those other kids the right thing to do! I hope they learn a lesson from you. That was a courageous thing you did. You are obviously growing up to be a fine young man! I hope Jackson finds a forever home soon.

34. HH says:

I wish Wendell could adopt the kitty for himself. He is such a HERO!

35. Mysty Johnson says:

OMG those boys out to be charged and punished severely! Way to go Wendell! Thank you so much for saving Jackson. You did a very courageous thing and the right thing. Your Mom must be very proud of you and I think the world can be proud of your Mom and You. Thank You for having heart.

36. Minakitty says:

It’s a shame they aren’t going to keep him, because you can see there’s a definite connection. :)

• Jennifer G says:

I agree! That cat LOVES him! Why can’t they keep him? I feel like I’m 8 years old again…”MOOOOOM…can we PLEASSSSSE keep him?” =)

37. Peggy K. says:

I hope Wendell’s family, his school and his entire community are proud of this young man! If only more young people could be like him – this world would be a better place. Those kids should be punished and psychologically reviewed. Any person who harms another person or an animal should be checked out – apathy towards violence, especially at such a young age, is the WRONG path! Have these kids parents checked out as well – it often starts at home.

38. Fernanda says:

Thank you Wendell. You are a very brave and kind person. The world needs more people like you, who stand up for what is right. Your parents must be very proud of you!

39. Veronica says:

Wendell you are a hero for saving this cat from the bullies! Now I think you should talk with mom and talk her into allowing you to permanently adopt this precious feline.

40. Felisha says:

Thank you Wendell, for having the courage to do what is right!!!!

41. Mimi's Mom says:

I always wonder why when god created the angels of cats, he also created the demons along the side to torture them. Jackson has a great heart, he didn’t lose his trust of humans. He and Wendell are both angels!

42. Shemp says:

This kid is a TRUE HERO — not some sports figure or rapper, but someone that went outta-his-way to protect someone else from harm! Good show!!!

43. Tina1649 says:

Yay!! Now those boys who abused this poor cat need to be brought up on charges.

44. Amy says:

I will never understand animal abuse. How a person can torture an animal and feel nothing. The other posts are correct, people who abuse animals usually end being even more evil in the long run. That being said, way to go Wendall!! You are a true hero and extremely brave standing up to those bullies. I love the the picture of him and Jackson, it’s like Jackson is saying thank you for saving me. I hope Jackson finds a forever loving home!! Too be he couldn’t keep him, it would be a bond that would last forever!

45. Ellie says:

I’m sorry for being blunt but…
    Anyone who abuses animal should get the same type of punishment they’d get from abusin humans.

46. Angela says:

Oh poor baby. It makes me sick. Thank heavens for valiant people like Wendell.

47. Luv2Nest says:

What a Wonderful Boy! Hopefully the youngest of the boys that were torturing poor Jackson will remember this when they are older and remember Wendell being so kind and brave for this poor little kitty and have a A-HAA moment in life. We can only hope.
    Wish there were many more like Wendell out there, the World would be a better place… ♥

48. fran says:

what a great kid. this should be all over the news..Wendel you are a hero

Wendell, your moral value is above any other consideration; that is a humanitarian action. Congrat., to you and Jackson!.

50. Cattywumpus says:

Hooray for Wendell. I wish he could adopt Jackson.
    Those bullies should be punished the same way they punished the cat.

51. Melodie says:

We need more caring young people like you!

52. Laure says:

Bravo, Wendell! Sounds like you’re the type of young person this country desperately needs! And thank you, to the adults around him – for teaching him what courage and compassion are really all about!

53. McT says:

Kids like Wendell give me hope! His parents are bringing up a good kid who will be a great man!

54. Tucker says:

YOU ROCK WENDELL!!!! YOU ARE BRAVER AND KINDER AND BETTER THATN A LOT OF ADULTS AND CHILDREN!!!!
    KEEP BEING YOUR SELF AND DOING WHAT YOUR DOING!!!!
    IT IS SAD YOU CAN’T ADOPT JACKSON!!!!!

I AM PRAYING FOR THIS CAT JACKSON AND THAT
    HE IS ADOPTED VERY SOON IN TO HIS LOVIG,CARING,SAFE,FOREVER FAMILY AND HOME SOOOON!!!!!! YOUR IN MY HEART AND PRAYERS!!!!

THESE BRATS WHO DID THIS NEED TO PAY AND BE PUNIISHED !!! DON’T CARE HOW OLD THEY ARE!!!! THE PRENTS NEED TO BE CHARGED!!!!!! PUNISHPUNISHED!!!

55. Nancy Blue Moon says:

Thank you Wendell for being brave and doing the right thing..I would be so proud if you were my son!

56. Susan F says:

Wendell, we need more people like you in our world. I would have done the same thing. I hate to see animal cruelty, it breaks my heart. It’s too bad you couldn’t take him home, he’s very fond of you. God bless you and may he enrich your life.

57. Breener says:

At 10 years old, Wendell is braver than many adults. So many people just want to look the other way. This young person is amazing! As for the so-called “bullies,” let’s call them what they actually are – animal abusers.

58. Druscilla says:

Faith in kids today – restored <3

59. Christine Stewart says:

Thank you, Wendell, for being a hero for Jackson!

60. Linda says:

Thank you Wendell for saving Jackson’s life. You are the best!

61. Kate says:

Congratulations, Wendell. You have the heart of a lion!

62. meowmanor says:

What a brave young man!!!

63. Kathy says:

Wendell – you are the BEST kind of person there is on this earth. If only we had millions more like you :)
    I wish we could punish the kids that were treating Jackson so badly – and let them know that what they did was so horribly wrong. I think we all know that this type of bad behavior starts at home.
    Wendell, we are all so proud of you!

64. Marianne says:

Wendell great job and thank you!

65. Ingrid says:

Thanks to his mom who taugh him so well and thanks to Wendell to have had the courage to stand against those stupid boys. Long and happy life to both of them and to Jackson as well :)

66. Christa Gruschke says:

I got tears in my eyes. What a wonderful little boy. It was a big job for a 10 years old boy. God bless him. It should be nice if he could keep the cat. Maybe this will be possible.

67. Sue says:

What a great story! We really do need more kids like Wendell! Thank you Mom! for teaching your boy well. And thank you Wendell for doing the right thing even if it was hard and scarey! Happy Jackson was saved and hope he finds a great home. Glad to read a happy story!

68. Iffat says:

Wendell is truly a hero for standing up to those bullies/cowards. His mother raised him well, which is more than I can say for the parents of the monsters who hurt this poor, innocent creature. I am so grateful (as I’m sure is Jackson!) that he was there at the right time to save him. Some of the torturers may be very young, but all children need to be disciplined when they hurt others & taught what is right & what is wrong. Great story.

69. cindy says:

Good for you Wendell, strong young man to stand up & do what is right. Your parents did a great job of raising you! Wish more kids & adults would do what you did.

70. BEAUTIFUL story! I wish Wendell could keep Jackson though, the cat obviously adores him :)

71. rudy says:

Keep it up Wendell, thumps up for you.
    Greetings from Belgium.

72. stephanie rausch says:

I’m so happy that, this young boy was there to save this sweet little kitty! It makes me sick to think of how someone could hurt a innocent animal that way!! Wendell did a wonderful thing by saving that kitty!! I know He will always have a true friend in Jackson!!! I hope those boys that were abusing animals are punished! It’s probably not the first time they have done it & if they are not punished now then it definantly won’t be the las t time they hurt a innocent animal! Thanks again Wendell for being a hero! :)

73. iNovaa says:

I hate animal abuse! I’ve rescued a kitten with help of some friends, now she is 2 years old, named Lisa and has a loving home! I’ve helped on the rescue of lots of puppies too, but only Angela wa adopted :(

74. angel says:

I wish there were only sweet people like you! Those boys are terrible!

75. courtne says:

The world needs more kids like this. <3

76. Charlieh says:

What a fantastic young man!

77. Jon says:

You are a Blessing, Wendell! Keep sticking up for the defenseless! I’m proud of you, for helping this little furball, and I hope you will be able to keep Jackson! He already owes you his life! The kids that were torturing Jackson, need to be reported, and examined, as well as the parents!

78. Lorie says:

Great kid!!! Bravo to you. No news on the other boys punishment. Something has to be done to these kids that abuse. If they are going to do it to a cat they will do it to their kids in the future. STOP THE INSANITY.

79. Camille says:

Wendell is such a brave young man! I applaud him for saving that cat.

80. Susan McNerney says:

Our rescue organization Forgotten Felines of Maine sent Wendell and sincere thank you and one of our tee shirts to honor his efforts. So often kids only hit the news for the harm they do-we wanted to be sure that he was recognized for his goodness! Check out our FB site!

81. tj says:

I saw this story made national news, too. So glad this young boy had the courage to step in, I do hope these young boys were held accountable, they are young and need to be taught-early, that what they are doing is not okay. Jackson looks so loving- I am guessing he feels a lot of gratitude to Wendell!! he looks so sweet (they both do!)

82. Heidi says:

Wendell you’re our hero!

83. Alice says:

Hope they called the police on these young cowards. 5 – 13? Where were their parents? It’s likely that they were siblings and their parents are apathetic to their wellbeing and whereabouts.
    Wendell and Jackson will have a good life together.

84. Maria says:

You are a hero Wendell!! great kid <3

85. Jennifer says:

what a wonderful kid!!

86. ann says:

The other kids should be punished,there is something very wrong with a child who harms an animal there parents should sort them out.