Lucy the Kitty Joins Meow Family

cute kitten

"Hai I am Lucy!"

cute gray kitten

Lucy (Picture we saw on the Almost Home Foundation website)

We met little Lucy on a Saturday at an adoption event. We were looking to adopt another cat, another fur friend for our three boys. Lucy who was grabbing and nibbling on her care taker at the time, caught my attention. She was very tiny and her head was smaller than half the size of my hand. Her big ears were perked up when I said “Hi!” to her. I put her in my arms, she started to purr aloud. At that point I knew I had found my kitty. It was definitely love at first sight.

Lucy was a kitten rescued by Almost Home Foundation hours before she and her littermates were being put down at a kill shelter. She was only a few weeks old. On the website Lucy says: “I love to snuggle and I purr 24/7. Considering I was hours away from being put down at a High Kill Shelter, I really love life.  Maybe that’s why I love life.”

I emailed Jessica, a volunteer from the shelter and told her how I felt about Lucy, hoping they agreed that we would be the right family for her. Several days later, Jessica got an answer from Lucy’s foster mom, Sabrina that they were happy to let us take Lucy home! I was overjoyed.

Lucy has a big purr motor in her tiny little body. She purrs even when she is playing. She is very affectionate and loves to give many consecutive head bumps. It’s hard not to love her. When she plays, she becomes wild. She will go in full throttle when she goes at a jingly toy. Sometimes she doesn’t know when she is tired and just keeps going.

cute kitten giving cat brother a kiss

"Here is a kiss for you!"

Though Shadow, Lucy’s new brother still needs time to bond with her, Jackie and Flip have become good buddies with her in only a couple of days. In fact Jackie and Lucy became friends in just one day. Jackie is a big kitty with a heart like a kitten. He will get Lucy to chase after him and then hide behind the curtains and stick out his paws, so Lucy can grab them. When Lucy wants to go to places that she is not supposed to, Jackie (a male cat with tremendous motherly instinct) will step in and tell her not to. He is such a wonderful catsitter. [Video of Lucy and Jackie]

We gave Lucy the entire guest bedroom so she has her own space during this introduction and transition period. Jackie is always by the door watching Lucy and follows her around to make sure she behaves. Lucy in turn gives him kisses and headbutts.

Lucy has so much energy that sometimes she can be a handful, but she has added so much laughter in the house and the kitties have started to enjoy her company. We are grateful for what Almost Home Foundation and other rescue groups do to give these wonderful and precious animals a second chance to have a beautiful life they deserve.

Lucy is our only girl, our princess in the Meow Family :) .

Check out my kitties’ blog at MeowFamily.com.

cute gray kitten

Lucy staring at a fly!

cute gray kitten

cute gray kitten

Lucy and her favorite toy

cute gray kitten

"Birdies!!!"

cute gray kitten biting a mousie

"This is MY mousie!"

cute gray kitten

"Mommy loves my nose a lot. I wonder why."

cute gray kitten playing

"Me playing with my favorite toy."

cute gray kitten

"I am taking a nap on the kitchen counter. Comfy!"

cute little kitten

"Jackie gave me his fave mousie! Must bite!"

cute gray kitten by the window

Lucy looking into the rain

20 Responses to “Lucy the Kitty Joins Meow Family”

1. Brian says:

Well how about that, welcome home Lucy!

2. Edgar says:

It looks like adorable Lucy has found a great home!

3. Jacqueline says:

Princess Lucy is a gorgeous sweetheart and I'm so happy you guys were all lucky enough to find each other=she's going to have a wonderful life in a loving home with wonderful parents and siblings!!YAY Lucy!!…I look forward to watching her grow and bond with your family!…Oh, that nose is just adorable, like the rest of her!!…Congratulations!

4. heidi says:

Ohoh, so wonderful! Go Jackie – you welcome her! Lucy will be soooooo happy!

5. Dee says:

Wow…Lucy is so pretty!! So glad she had a second chance in life…

6. Gabriella says:

I love reading these rescue stories. Keep em coming!

7. Lori Pettit says:

I thank God for loving, caring people like you and the many wonderful lives you save and are taking care of….. finding this – made my day; week; month…. year.

8. Chris says:

Thank you for saving Lucy. I am dismayed there are shelters that kill kittens … they are adopted so quickly at shelters in New England. So sad for others, but a lovely story with beautiful pictures of beautiful Lucy!

9. Oh, what a cutie! Such a lovely pink nose, and I love her tufted ears, too. In fact she has gorgeous markings all over. Well done for rescuing her. (I love rescue stories, my own cat is a happy-ever-after rescue.)

I hope Princess Lucy will have a long and happy life with you and her new 'brothers'.

10. Linda says:

Love Lucy's fly-away ears! So cute!

11. Thank goodness she was saved she is a gorgeous little girl and looks to be very affectionate and playful.

12. Welcome home Lucy, it's good to haf a big brofur dat takes care of yoo! Our mom loves your nose too!

13. Elise says:

kitteh can fall asleep everywhere!

14. AlphaCat says:

Sweet! What a cute little girl, and such big ears!

15. Michelle says:

I love Lucy! I'm glad she was saved! But what happened to her littermates?

• Amy B. says:

Lucy has a brother and a sister who will be adopted together. They were all rescued by almost home foundation, a great no kill shelter that takes great care of these babies. I met my cat Flip there too. Lucy's siblings are currently living with their foster mom.

16. Ingrid says:

Welcome Lucy! You seem to be a wonderful kitty :D

17. Kelly says:

I'm so glad Lucy and her sibs were rescued! Thank you for taking this pretty girl in!

18. Lexie says:

Lucy looks amazingly better than in her pre-adoption picture! You can tell that she's very loved. She's such a beautiful kitty :)

19. Kacee says: